Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1959 Cadillac Ambulance First Look

martinfan5

• martinfan5 changed the title to AMT 1959 Cadillac Ambulane First Look
  • martinfan5 changed the title to AMT 1959 Cadillac Ambulance First Look

A word on the late 50's early 60's Cadillac series 75 commercial bodies.

Cadillac series 75 bodies are WIDER than standard Cadillac bodies. A surprising number of parts are unique or modified to work on the series 75 platform. This is easiest way to observe the added width is when looking at the bumpers as there are spacer pieces between the center sections and end pieces on series 75 bodies (see picture). Another subtle difference is that the doors are taller on series 75 cars to allow for the taller side glass.

Commercial cars based on other GM brands used standard width bodies (often widened slightly in the rear). 

59 cadillac bumper.jpg

FWIW, the kit represents an ambulance built by the coachbuilder Miller-Meteor.  They only built on the Cadillac commercial chassis in this era.  They did not use other manufacturer's chassis.  No Buick, no Chevrolet.

People have kitbashed the Ectomobile kits with the Revell '59 Cadillacs.  This would give you an engine and drivetrain detail.  Note though that the Cadillac passenger cars had coil spring rear suspension while the Commercial Chassis employed leaf springs.

The Polar Lights kit does have a stock rear bumper, but note that parts do not swap between the two kits.

I have been working on this for years, I want to do the original original ghostbuster moble when Ray Stantz delivered the Caddy to the station. I mated thefront of the Monogram Caddy convertible to the ecto II body so that I would have engine detail and tried to mate 1/24th to 1/25th. Is the Revell Caddy 1/25th or 1/24th or repop of Monogram?

P1030854.JPG.6ffdf3f87b556596d00b9afe37760757.JPG

P1030859.JPG.df4e528736c32b1c537a8c0c1ce0ede7.JPG

greg

P1030853.JPG

P1030855.JPG

P1030856.JPG

P1030857.JPG

P1030858.JPG

P1030860.JPG

• Like 1

As an ad a long time ago said: Stop the insanity!  Why can't we get a true high top ambulance or a true length van type raised roof ambulance?

The closet kits were the JoHan Miller ambulance and the 1/20th MPC Ford van Superior version.

BTY: Is Dan Gurney the driver,patient or attendant (includes all new gurney) What happened to stretcher?

The greatest emergency vehicle would be Squad 51.

greg

4 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

As an ad a long time ago said: Stop the insanity!  Why can't we get a true high top ambulance or a true length van type raised roof ambulance?

The closet kits were the JoHan Miller ambulance and the 1/20th MPC Ford van Superior version.

BTY: Is Dan Gurney the driver,patient or attendant (includes all new gurney) What happened to stretcher?

The greatest emergency vehicle would be Squad 51.

greg

Odd, that so far, no model kit manufacturer in the US came out with a more modern box ambulance, with either a pickup or Van design cab.

See related image detail. 1340 Roy City Fire Department - Ambulance Remount | Firetrucks Unlimited

Alsip Fire Department « chicagoareafire.com

Edited by Luc Janssens

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

A very niche item that probably wouldn't sell enough to justify the tooling cost.

I think the Squad 51 truck from “Emergency” would sell enough to justify the tooling cost.  If you say no, then I will have to point out the new 1/25th scale Green Hornet “Black Beauty” that Round2 just released.   I don’t think it’s a simple scaled up 1/32 PL kit, but I could be wrong.

Edited by mikos

8 minutes ago, mikos said:

I think the Squad 51 truck from “Emergency” would sell enough to justify the tooling cost.  If you say no, then I will have to point out the new 1/25th scale Green Hornet “Black Beauty” that Round2 just released.   I don’t think it’s a simple scaled up 1/32 PL kit, but I could be wrong.

My comment was in regards to Luc’s comment about modern ambulances.  On the other hand, something linked to a tv show from 50 years ago seems like it would be more viable…built-in audience and all…

Edited by Rob Hall

The green hornet kit was always going to sell well. Anything related to marvell sells loads, and the only places i've seen the green hornet kit is comic and memrobilia stores at full msrp. Its the same with the back to the future, a team and mad max kits. if you are looking for them go in these shops instead of model shops and you have a bigger chance of finding them in pretty good condition

28 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

My comment was in regards to Luc’s comment about modern ambulances.  On the other hand, something linked to a tv show from 50 years ago seems like it would be more viable…built-in audience and all…

If they did a modern ambulance based off the heavy duty F550 truck cab and chassis, they could do a stock F-Series Super Duty truck based off it.  They would just have to tool up a stock bed.  That would give them a two for one deal.

• Like 1