Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius Sneek Peek at NHRSA Show

Fabrux

Says Wes Hurst, that's Wes' Model Car Corner the guy who paid the freight to release the SJR (Jim Rogers) designed and produced Asphalt Modifieds last year and more recently the race car trailer. 

If someone here is a member of his group and can actually use a pause button with more efficiency that FB Live is most likely posted there. I'm not joining his group just to take better screen shots.

Edited by niteowl7710

Moebius has been working for quite some time now on a number of several all-new and derivative subjects.  Some of them have seen vague rumors in the modeling world, others not so much. 

Nevertheless, I was more than a little surprised to see a public display of some their future kit plans at that Vegas hobby show.  Accordingly, I checked with my contacts at Moebius, and they confirmed that the Vegas display of future plans was legit. 

I have long lobbied (behind the scenes) for a 1967/68 C-10 to be the first announcement from that project, as the unique front end treatment has in the past only been available in scale via the original AMT/MPC annual kit tool, which in unbuilt form is essentially non-acquirable for any price that most modelers can swing.  Plus, it is highly popular in the 1/1 scale builder/collector world.  So, I am particularly pleased to see public confirmation of this kit to come. 

As has been the case in the past with their kit development strategy, it is reasonable, I think, to conclude the Maverick and C-10 tools will provide the basis for additional future products over time.  Even if these first product announcements don't exactly target your interests, hopefully one of the follow-on releases will. 

Finally, just to reinforce some of the comments above, while planning has been underway for quite some time on both of these projects, they are still relatively early in the actual kit development process.  And I have been advised that Moebius' leadership is targeting getting these kits as close to 100% correct as a replica can be, even if it means a slower debut of the final product.  My guess would be that the first of these kits are at the very least a year away from being in our hot modeling hands.   Nevertheless, something for all of us to very much be looking forward to.  

Best...TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Moebius has been working for quite some time now on a number of several all-new and derivative subjects.  Some of them have seen vague rumors in the modeling world, others not so much. 

Nevertheless, I was more than a little surprised to see a public display of some their future kit plans at that Vegas hobby show.  Accordingly, I checked with my contacts at Moebius, and they confirmed that the Vegas display of future plans was legit. 

I have long lobbied (behind the scenes) for a 1967/68 C-10 to be the first announcement from that project, as the unique front end treatment has in the past only been available in scale via the original AMT/MPC annual kit tool, which in unbuilt form is essentially non-acquirable for any price that most modelers can swing.  Plus, it is highly popular in the 1/1 scale builder/collector world.  So, I am particularly pleased to see public confirmation of this kit to come. 

As has been the case in the past with their kit development strategy, it is reasonable, I think, to conclude the Maverick and C-10 tools will provide the basis for additional future products over time.  Even if these first product announcements don't exactly target your interests, hopefully one of the follow-on releases will. 

Finally, just to reinforce some of the comments above, while planning has been underway for quite some time on both of these projects, they are still relatively early in the actual kit development process.  And I have been advised that Moebius' leadership is targeting getting these kits as close to 100% correct as a replica can be, even if it means a slower debut of the final product.  My guess would be that the first of these kits are at the very least a year away from being in our hot modeling hands.   Nevertheless, something for all of us to very much be looking forward to.  

Best...TB 

The Maverick and C-10 Chevy is sometime out by late winter of 2024  .

23 hours ago, espo said:

The box art shown for the C-10 looks like a long bed. I hope they will be offering a short bed version soon. 

If you mean the red truck in the pic above, that's a short bed, David. 

A '67 [no side markers] with a custom front bumper and a custom seat, wheels, shaved emblems and scripts and probably more. 

Probably just a place holder pic for the show.

1 minute ago, Can-Con said:

If you mean the red truck in the pic above, that's a short bed, David. 

A '67 [no side markers] with a custom front bumper and a custom seat, wheels, shaved emblems and scripts and probably more. 

Probably just a place holder pic for the show.

Thanks for the heads up on the C-10. I may have been working off of the picture that "leafsprings" posted, relooking at that picture it seems more like something from an old Chevrolet catalog. 

On 10/11/2023 at 1:48 PM, Rob Hall said:

Hopefully they will do with the C-10 as they did with the F-series…short bed, long bed, step side, 4x4…

Concept-wise, I certainly agree; stylistically, let's hope the beclowning that happened with the Fords doesn't happen again...

5 hours ago, espo said:

Thanks for the heads up on the C-10. I may have been working off of the picture that "leafsprings" posted, relooking at that picture it seems more like something from an old Chevrolet catalog. 

Here's the pic they used,,

1967 Chevrolet C10 Pickup

and a link to the web page they took it from,,

https://www.classic.com/veh/1967-chevrolet-c10-pickup-ce147a126447-4VREPd4/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/11/2023 at 3:35 PM, ChrisBcritter said:

And we can use the AMT kit for unwarped bodies and hoods :D

...and proportional accuracy, which ain't saying much, because the AMT's are still pretty rough.

Moebius whiffed a whole laundry list of things on the Fords. All the grilles on the 67-72's are just horrific. Ridiculous. Toy-like.

There's something totally wonky about the shape of the profile DLO and the drip rail that I can't put my finger on also. The bedside end caps and the shape of the tail lights. The too-wide park lamps. Stuff that is just incredibly hard to fix.

The 65's and '66's have some real problems too. It's so disgusting because I owned a gorgeous 65 for 11 years and was forced to sell. I was so excited when these kits were announced, then, so completely let down when I finally got one. The grille opening panel in profile is not raked forward at the top enough. It's nearly vertical, giving the front end too blunt of an appearance.

There's some real problems in front of the front wheel opening as well. Too much real estate there somehow. Maybe the bottom of the grille opening and the bumper need moving back like a scale 2 inches. And don't get be started on the windshield and DLO height. It looks like the chicken truck in the Big Bird movie. Way too tall. 

How could AMT get these same details so right on the 61-63 F100's working by eye, 60 years ago, while all the current technology at Moebius's disposal failed them so miserably?

I expect the same kinds of issues on the C-10 and the Maverick. Moebius has a track record in my estimation, and I'm certain they will mess things up pretty well.

Edited by garagepunk66

For me who for several years had AMTs 72 GMC (and 49 Ford) as a bread and butter kit when it was sparse in the hobby shops shelves, this is wonderful news. It would be nice if Moebius released military variants of these, NATO gave northern Europe a substantial contribution with hot rod raw material via surplus sales in Germany in the eightes.

25 minutes ago, Jordan White said:

Who else besides me hopes that Moebius come out with a ‘67-‘72 Blazer as well? That’s another kit that desperately needs to be newly tooled that is offered by AMT!

If they did a '67/'68 it would be a custom, pretty cool though.

GM didn't start selling Blazers until '69.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 11:54 AM, garagepunk66 said:

How could AMT get these same details so right on the 61-63 F100's working by eye, 60 years ago, while all the current technology 

I tend to agree, AMT did a fantastic job on the proportions and details of the '53 F 100, 60 F 100 and '63 F 100 way back in the day, I guess lack of official blueprints are the culprit on today's offerings of older subjects.  Too bad the '64-'72 F series was not covered way back in the day, I'm sure they would have been comparable in quality to the 3 previously mentioned.

• 1 month later...

I think Mobius did a fantastic job offering us so many variants of the Ford pickups.

Slightly inaccurate, like almost all models, didn't bother me, they still look VERY cool built.

So I'm sure they will offer the Chevies in long, short, flareside, wideside, 2 wheel drive, 4X4, V8s and a 6, and all the years that used that body, different hoods of course!

Like the line of Fords, we can interchange parts from different Chevy kits to make something unique!

I converted my '66 shortbox to a 4X4 using another Mobius kit. Parts just fell into place.

IMG_4625re.JPG

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...