Model Cars Magazine Forum

Show us your completed JOHAN kits!

Claude Thibodeau

The year 1994, just picked up the latest issue of Custom Rodder Magazine (man how I miss that publication) and as usual I went right to the back of the magazine, to view Rick Hanmores, Custom Rodding In Scale section. To my amazement there was a small black and white photograph of my Johan 62 Plymouth Fury and to add even more to my excitement and amazement, Rick Hanmore so graciously said in his description that it was his favorite custom rod of the NNL East. I will never forget that day or the simple kind words written by Mr. Hanmore.  This will always be a very special and inspirational day in my life. Now this model was built 26 years ago, and it was my real first attempt at trying to build something for a model car show. The model is the Johan 1962 Fury with the roof being inspired by the top put on a 37 Ford by Posies (you old guys like me remember that one right😉). Interior was a combination of the Testors Chezoom and Tamiya Toyota Corolla. Wheels and tires were also a combo of Chevy Chezoom and parts box tires(the rims were so big for the day😄). And everything painted rattle can Plum Crazy. That special day in 1994 is something I will never forget. I also went on to meet and thank Mr. Hanmore for his kind words and you will never meet a more humble and genuinely nice person then Mr. Hanmore who truly loves this hobby and the people in it.

IMG_3750.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

Edited by BKIN10SECS
  • Like 8

27 minutes ago, BKIN10SECS said:

The year 1994, just picked up the latest issue of Custom Rodder Magazine (man how I miss that publication) and as usual I went right to the back of the magazine, to view Rick Hanmores, Custom Rodding In Scale section. To my amazement there was a small black and white photograph of my Johan 62 Plymouth Fury and to add even more to my excitement and amazement, Rick Hanmore so graciously said in his description that it was his favorite custom rod of the NNL East. I will never forget that day or the simple kind words written by Mr. Hanmore.  This will always be a very special and inspirational day in my life. Now this model was built 26 years ago, and it was my real first attempt at trying to build something for a model car show. The model is the Johan 1962 Fury with the roof being inspired by the top put on a 37 Ford by Posies (you old guys like me remember that one right😉). Interior was a combination of the Testors Chezoom and Tamiya Toyota Corolla. Wheels and tires were also a combo of Chevy Chezoom and parts box tires(the rims were so big for the day😄). And everything painted rattle can Plum Crazy. That special day in 1994 is something I will never forget. I also went on to meet and thank Mr. Hanmore for his kind words and you will never meet a more humble and genuinely nice person then Mr. Hanmore who truly loves this hobby and the people in it.

IMG_3750.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

Wow, that Fury looks so freakin‘ kool! 🥰👍🤘

almost forgot about this one! It's not my build, but it is a built Johan.  I found it on ebay, built up for a reasonable price.  I believe it was someone selling off a collection.  I thought it would be a good start for a rebuild, but when I got it, I liked it the way it is, so I just put it on the shelf.  It even came with a clear case, and I like the little sticker the builder put on it.  I've had to repair a couple of things, but otherwise, it's just as I received it.  I ended up buying a sealed one also, so I'll build that at some point.  

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, BKIN10SECS said:

IMG_3750.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

Hi Sir!

I suspected, when I started this trend, that I would see many pleasant surprises, and... I did!

But this car, Sir, is masterfull. Stylish, minimalist, innovative and completed with restraint and good taste. And it aged VERY well, to boot! Bravo!

CT 

Here is my only jo-han kit. I had several back then but they were all lost when we had to sell the house. I did not have time to save them. Over 400 models lost in one day. This is the turbine car full kit. Just to think that you could have these for 5 to 8 bucks really make us appreciate them more today.

chrysler turbine car 02.JPG

chrysler turbine car 01.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, happy grumpy said:

Here is my only jo-han kit. I had several back then but they were all lost when we had to sell the house. I did not have time to save them. Over 400 models lost in one day. This is the turbine car full kit. Just to think that you could have these for 5 to 8 bucks really make us appreciate them more today.

chrysler turbine car 02.JPG

400 models lost! OUCH!!!!!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Sir!

I suspected, when I started this trend, that I would see many pleasant surprises, and... I did!

But this car, Sir, is masterfull. Stylish, minimalist, innovative and completed with restraint and good taste. And it aged VERY well, to boot! Bravo!

CT 

Thank you so very very much for your comments. It is very kind of you to say that. Thank you Mr. Thibodeau

On 11/2/2023 at 9:43 AM, BKIN10SECS said:

IMG_3750.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3747.jpg

Jay....looking over this, it's very easy to see why Rick was so effusive.   Really creative concept, and excellent construction.  Big congrats and thanks for sharing here...TIM