Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dream Time: What cars would you like to see modeled?

11 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

I will concede the odds are low, but seeing some of the things that have come out recently,  I still maintain it's worth letting them know what you want.  Worst case scenario, we kill a little time talking about models, which I'm told is the whole point of this forum.

Agreed, but we've talked this over on thread after thread. Many people want not particularly noteworthy cars they used to own, that would most likely sell in the hundreds, if that many.

Obvious slam-dunks like a bulletnose Stude for Moebius, a good '34 3-window Ford body to update the pretty decent AMT '34 5-window kit, and a '26-'27T-bodied version of Revell's recent (lost forever?) model A kits...that would be good sellers and in two cases revitalize tooling that's mostly already done...seem to be ignored by the manufacturers.

So...you give somebody good, sound advice and they don't want it. After a while, it just gets to be "why bother".

PS: I'd buy both of those pretty red Alfas.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

3 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

So...you give somebody good, sound advice and they don't want it. After a while, it just gets to be "why bother".

And yet, here you are.

I think we're all well aware of the gauntlet that any suggestion has to run.  Even if it does catch the attention of the manufacturers,  they may decide not enough people want one, licensing fees may be too high, or the person in charge of making the decisions just doesn't like it.    This is why I get excited when something actually does make the cut.  Getting mad at everyone who doesn't appreciate your genius is a good way to go crazy.  Are some of them overly cautious?  Possibly, but they do have tighter margins to work with than they used to, and it's easy to talk about taking risks when it's not your money.  However, I think it's worth noting that Italeri thinks enough people want to drop three figures on a 1930's racing car to make a new set of moulds worth their while.

Sure, there have been a few suggestions where I've thought whoever made them must have been up all night trying to imagine the least interesting car possible, but as you've no doubt noticed, people have different tastes.   There have been a few recent releases that have made me go "You're kidding, right?" but presumably the people making the decisions know what they're doing.   For better or worse, Round 2's strategy of charging $40+ for kits I had no interest in paying $5 for the first time around seems to be working for them.

And if none of this interests you, that's fine too.  Nobody is forcing you to read this.

Edited by Richard Bartrop

7 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

And yet, here you are.  Yup, agreeing with some points, making fun of the incessant wish-lists in a good-natured way (so I thought), and re-hammering on a couple I sincerely think would be profitable for sound business reasons, rather than just 'cause I want 'em.

...presumably the people making the decisions know what they're doing.  I don't see much of that in the world in general these days, frankly. But then again, I'm openly critical of obvious stupidity and incompetence.

...And if none of this interests you, that's fine too.  Nobody is forcing you to read this.   Oops. That pressure I thought was a gun at my head was actually a cat.  :D

For what its worth a couple of years ago revell de had avote for what kits people would like to see done, and the austin allegro was pretty near the top in votes, but I suppose it would sorta fit with the trabants and 2cv etc. Much as it was car I didn't like when my parents owned 2, I would build a kit (funky gasser/street freak style) of it simply because its something a little different and the square steering wheel is kinda cool even if the car is a bit of a dog

Good to hear that Italeri are bringing out a new 1:12 Alfa Romeo kit this year........ My suggestion for what I would like to see as a kit is never gonna happen.....

1953 Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn in 1:24 scale ( or indeed, any 1950's Rolls-Royce motor car )... dream on Mr Watson

David Watson

6 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Lots of great stuff in Dan's list, and I'd buy most of it.  I think a new Type 33 Alfa would be a winner for sure.

Yeah, put me down for all of it. At first I discounted the Starion, but then remembered I used to maintain one that ran ESI-R in SCCA, so I guess I'd buy that too. :D

07-13 full-size GM trucks with options to build a RCSB, RCLB, and extended cab configurations. But maybe box them as separate kits. I would buy countless kits!

Detailed late model muscle kits.

Cadillac sedans and coupes, late model of course.

60s International truck kits. I'm sure we could get the aftermarket to cast us some great parts to make them into 4x4s, 1100s, 1200s, etc. 

Since we're dreaming, in addition to the '27 roadster/coupe and '34 Ford 3-window coupe ideas mentioned by Bill, there are a few subjects I'd love to see...but are less likely to ever appear in scale. Might have to just create 'em myself!:

1.Studebaker 2R pickup  2.NAPCO Stude truck  3.Ford Comete  4. Brubaker Box

The Comete is like a '49 Ford that has been sectioned, turned into a coupe with the cockpit moved rearward, sectioned trunk, pancaked hood, Ferrari-style eggcrate grille, wire wheels, taillights that look like '50 Pontiac...it looks like something Valley Custom could have built, but came from the factory that way!

The Stude is an eccentric but striking truck that would look good stock or customized.

The Brubaker is a wacky little thing that fits on a VW pan and would be excellent fodder for driveline swaps, custom paint, electric conversions, etc etc.

ebay611600.jpg1959-studebaker-4e11d-122-4x4-pickup-front.jpg

Ford-Comete-1.jpgai-ytimg-com_vi_iot_isr5xne_hqdefault-jpg.21161

7 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

1989-chrysler-conquest-tsi-no-reserve-low-miles-2.jpg

Nice to see I'm not the only one that liked these!  I know Fujimi did one sans the Porsche 944 style fenders.

A classmate in college had one....that's turned me on to Mitsubishi products and ended up having a Dodge Stealth, Mitsubishi Diamante and three versions of the Mitsubishi Expo.

8 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

How 'bout a Bentley R-type Continental?

Image result for Bentley R-type

Related image

Bill Engwer....... There is a resin kit listed on Air-Trax in Finland for a Bentley Continental R 1952-1955 and it is priced at 100 Euros plus shipping. There is no donor kit suggested for the resin body.

David Watson

54 minutes ago, Anglia105E said:

Bill Engwer....... There is a resin kit listed on Air-Trax in Finland for a Bentley Continental R 1952-1955 and it is priced at 100 Euros plus shipping. There is no donor kit suggested for the resin body.

David Watson

THANK YOU SIR !! I'll be looking for one...   :D

22 minutes ago, Richard Bartrop said:

If Ebbro ever feels like doing another Citroen, I would be okay with one of these...

So many fantastic cars that never have and probably never will be kitted kinda boggles the mind. With well over 7 billion people on the planet, you'd kinda think there would be enough interest in these striking yet accessible examples of Man's engineering ability and artistic expression to keep the model companies working 24-7.

Oops...wrong planet.  :mellow: