Model Cars Magazine Forum

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convertible.

StevenGuthmiller

After having had several discussions with Steve, I just want to say that I really appreciate that he treats everyone like a friend. I recently had a question I posted and (some of you may have seen it in the Q&A section -'51 Fleetline) Steve actually took the time to pull out a Fleetline body and figured out a really great way to fix the windshield issue on that thing, with photos and a clear explanation of how to do it. This guy is a great TEACHER  and we're lucky to be able to access his brain. 

Thank you Steven!   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Nazz said:

Steve, if I may request when you get to the interior if you would explain just how you make your knob for the signal arm and shifter. I have been trying to do it with styrene rod, but I can't seem to drill in the center of the rod. Sanding the outside to shape with the piece in a drill is difficult but not imposable. Thanks for all you do.

Jerry

Jerry, I am not Steve but this may work for you. I use stainless steel sewing pins. Drill a small hole in the steering column, cut and/or bend the pin to suit for length and angle. Dip the end in gloss black enamel and it will form a nice end naturally.

2+2 interior C.JPG

IMG_3148 cropped.JPG

I really enjoyed and learned a lot from your recent Bonneville convertible WIP and am so happy to see you’re doing another one with this Lemans. It’s incredible to me to see the results you get from starting with such old basic kits, simply amazing skill and artistry!

On 11/26/2023 at 9:53 AM, StevenGuthmiller said:

As far as photos go, most of us have a smart phone these days, and mine is always with me, so when I'm in the shop for a while, and I've finished a process, or if I'm just ready to take a break, I'll pull out my phone and snap a few quick pics.

This comment made me laugh. When I go to show a family member or friend some old social or travel related photo taken on my phone, they laugh at all the scale model related pics I have.  If it weren’t for my cell phone, I would totally loose track of what I built and when! I’ve also started putting reference photos of each project I do (or intend to do) into digital albums which helps me find pics quicker. Thank goodness I have a 2T cloud capacity!

Edited by papajohn97
Added content

A little more progress on the convertible up top.

Added the top bows, filled with glazing putty and sanded.

Also added the "beading" along the rear bow ahead of the rear window opening.

I will still be adding the piping, or beading around the window openings, and then removing the portion of the top below the rear window before I prime to see what I've really got so far.

Looks a little like a mess at the moment, but the shapes are looking fairly good as far as I can tell.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Nazz said:

The top looks to be coming along nicely. Great work Steve !

Jerry

1 hour ago, NOBLNG said:

Very crafty way of making that look like stretched fabric!👍😎

Thanks guys!

Began some of the piping and side window seals this afternoon.

It's beginning to take shape! ;)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 6

Looking at all this super nice work on the roof got me wondering if the '64s had the glass window. I learned to drive on a '65 (Chevy) and the rear window was glass. I think that was fairly new then. Have you thought about it yet? I remember not having to unzip it, just pop the latches and push the button. The plastic one on our previous family car, a '59 Ford, had to be unzipped first (Dad told me.) I just wondered when GM started with glass. It must have been around that time. This may or may not affect what you do with this roof since you are dedicated to authenticity 🙂.

3 hours ago, customline said:

Looking at all this super nice work on the roof got me wondering if the '64s had the glass window. I learned to drive on a '65 (Chevy) and the rear window was glass. I think that was fairly new then. Have you thought about it yet? I remember not having to unzip it, just pop the latches and push the button. The plastic one on our previous family car, a '59 Ford, had to be unzipped first (Dad told me.) I just wondered when GM started with glass. It must have been around that time. This may or may not affect what you do with this roof since you are dedicated to authenticity 🙂.

My understanding is that the rear window was plastic.

Steve

I like how this roof is progressing. Looking good! As far as the window goes, I think maybe the luxury barges had glass windows, and the intermediate vehicles had clear vinyl windows. I had a 1966 Dodge Coronet 500 convertible and it had a vinyl window. My current 1968 Imperial Crown convertible has a glass window. As a side note, I never unzipped either one of them. They both went down into the top well with no problems.

Thanks everyone!

Getting closer on the top, and beginning to open up the body so that the top sits down inside rather than just resting on top.

I narrowed the rear glass by adding some fill panels to the sides, and then added a thin piece of shaped plastic to the bottom of the rear window opening.

This will give me something to attach the rear window to, and insure that it will retain it's concave shape when the top is not in place.

Once fitment is exactly where I want it, I'll begin adding the boot snap trim and finish up the piping and seals around the window opening.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Nice work on the top, Steve. That's looking right.

I have a '64 GTO console, if that's of any use to you. 
IMG_0192.thumb.jpeg.dbaac78299c6abd95133d38958a4f8c9.jpeg

I appreciate that Trevor, but I bought a brand new Revell '66 Goat to rob for parts for this project, and the console in the '66 is exactly the same as the '64.

Steve

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Just for giggles, I decided to add some rudimentary top mechanism detail to the inside of the rag top. 😊

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Steve

So, now ya gotta open up the trunk and install the pump and hoses for that great looking mechanism!! Always something to look forward to with one of your builds!

33 minutes ago, Bucky said:

So, now ya gotta open up the trunk and install the pump and hoses for that great looking mechanism!! Always something to look forward to with one of your builds!

I think I'll pass. :D

Did get some primer on it tonight!

I have to say, I think it exceeded my expectations.

Probably still a little sanding and tweaking here and there, and then a couple of coats of primer/filler down the center to create the seams, but I'm quite happy with it!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png