Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 65 Riviera

Yeah Nah

6 hours ago, dino246gt said:

I've been "dreaming" of customizing one, but it's not easy because they're just so beautiful as is! Have to go radical, otherwise you just can't make it look better!

If I've only got one example of a kit (as with this one) I'll go stock virtually every time. The Barris movie custom certainly is cool, but like you say Dennis, the stock 65 Riviera styling is pretty hard to beat.

Box Top.JPG

2b19397f3fc465ceda80092347f737e4.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Yeah Nah said:

If I've only got one example of a kit (as with this one) I'll go stock virtually every time. The Barris movie custom certainly is cool, but like you say Dennis, the stock 65 Riviera styling is pretty hard to beat.

Box Top.JPG

2b19397f3fc465ceda80092347f737e4.png

Is it just me, or is the box art car better proportioned than the real car?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I think the STOCK car looks 100x better than what Barris did with it - it’s such a beautiful, elegant design 

I agree completely! I think rounding the wheel wells was a big mistake on his design. Just my opinion.

Yeah Nah- as for your plan- a perfect idea!

Later-

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

I agree completely! I think rounding the wheel wells was a big mistake on his design. Just my opinion.

Yeah Nah- as for your plan- a perfect idea!

Later-

I'm thinking of using a second body so the front wheel openings can replace the rear openings, all four will be the same.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Is it just me, or is the box art car better proportioned than the real car?

One thing I've noticed is a lot of box art and advertising art from back in the day tended to depict the car lower, longer and even wider than it actually was.  

Re this current kit, even if one wanted to build the Barris custom, one glaring omission is there's no optional hood with those big long louvres. 

1965-Buick-Ad-11.jpg

d78fc0556379cf61c93a18c7da2648fb.jpg

v g.JPG

• Like 1

Got the paint and most of the trim done this week. The wire wheels that come with the kit are pretty decent, BUT, are WAY too wide, even for the optional wider tyres that come with the kit. Shaved off as much as I dared from the inside faces (about 3-4mm) but are still a little too wide. A couple of drops of super glue stopped them flopping around so all good. Hopefully finish this weekend.   

20231118_103440.jpg

20231118_103457.jpg

20231118_103511.jpg

20231118_103541.jpg

20231118_103606.jpg

• Like 3