Model Cars Magazine Forum

2024 Cannonball Run theme ideas thread?

Tim H

With 2024 a little over a month away. It is time for ideas for the 2024 running of the Cannonball Run.

Some ideas I have: We could redo the sleeper ball it was popular.

how about the entries being older than you are. For me it would be anything prior to 1964. 

Tim

• Like 1

Thank you, Tim, for starting this thread! It's certainly a good time to think about next year's build.

My ideas:

-Regional Cannonball: build a vehicle from your region of origin (Americas, Europe/Africa, Asia/Pacific Islands). The region's are broad as not every country does or has produced vehicles; so this gives everyone plenty of options. 

-Personal: this would be a build of a vehicle that has a personal meaning for you. For example: your first vehicle, a car your parents owned when you were a child, a friend's car that you always admired, and so on. The build itself need not be a replica of the original (though, it certainly could be), rather, the original serves as a starting point for your build.

-Work Vehicles: Inspired by Brock Yates' 1979 entry, the TransCon MediVac, the builds would be Cannonball contenders disguised as work vehicles. Fictional names and bogus businesses abound!

8 hours ago, Tim H said:

how about the entries being older than you are.

Shouldn‘t be a problem. I was born 1978 and I never built a car that is younger than me.

6 hours ago, White Rabbit said:

Regional Cannonball: build a vehicle from your region of origin

That drags me out of my comfort zone. Never built something german or even european, though there are quite a lot of kits... Sounds like an interesting challenge...

I also would like to throw in some ideas from previous CBR-idea threads:

-Hot Wheels. Build a 1/24 or 1/25 version of a toy car you had as kid (so many nice possibilities from bone stock to incredibly wild)

- 4-doors (2 of my 3 CBR entries were 4-doors so I‘d like to stick with that tradition)

I was hoping one of these threads would pop up soon. I'm excited to see what gets suggested. I had several ideas but none really seem practical at the moment. I know how to overthink a project so any of my ideas would do just that. 😆 

I like what I'm seeing so far, some good ideas out the gate!

Looking forward to 2024 and starting at the beginning of the year for the builds, anyway I like the Hot Wheels idea I'll admit for personal reasons. (Maybe I'll get to finish 2023s build as I was copying a hot wheels and I'm less than 50% done) I'd like to throw out an idea

Full size cars-- for example luxury  from any era, wagons, larger 4 doors and even large suvs.  Maybe 70s midsize cars  they seem big too me. Things you would not normally think fast. I think there maybe enough kits available out there for this?

• Like 2

Some great ideas so far! As for me, this will be my first year with my new hobby room finished, so I hope the stars will align for me to compete. I could definitely go for a service vehicle sort of thing with vehicles that look official. The LeMons thing is also interesting. There's a lot of potential in an old car that's seen it's better days. On Marketplace the other day, there was an 80s BMW offered up for $700 with the promise that it ran when parked. Fixing that up is way out of my skill level in the 1:1 world, but in the 1:24th world, I could just about manage it.

As for my my suggestions, I can think of a couple, maybe a Resto-Mod Cannonball? Cars with an old bodystyle but modern innards? I'm thinking a 70s car or pickup truck with a Hellcat Hemi, or a Powerstroke diesel. Maybe an old Porsche, VW Beetle or Van with modern Porsche or Subaru engine.

Another idea would be a Cannonball Heresy Run. Anything that would make a purist cringe. Think about the possibilities, a classic Mercedes or Porsche 911 with an LS engine, a Pontiac with a Ford small block, a Mustang with a Mark IV Supra engine? You could even go with a bodyswap like a Tamiya BMW 635 body on an AMT Dodge Charger police package with a Hellcat engine.

Would there be interest in a sub-category for curbsides as well? The competitors would concentrate on surface details. That way, those with less time, or budget could compete on their own?

6 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

Some great ideas so far! As for me, this will be my first year with my new hobby room finished, so I hope the stars will align for me to compete. I could definitely go for a service vehicle sort of thing with vehicles that look official. The LeMons thing is also interesting. There's a lot of potential in an old car that's seen it's better days. On Marketplace the other day, there was an 80s BMW offered up for $700 with the promise that it ran when parked. Fixing that up is way out of my skill level in the 1:1 world, but in the 1:24th world, I could just about manage it.

As for my my suggestions, I can think of a couple, maybe a Resto-Mod Cannonball? Cars with an old bodystyle but modern innards? I'm thinking a 70s car or pickup truck with a Hellcat Hemi, or a Powerstroke diesel. Maybe an old Porsche, VW Beetle or Van with modern Porsche or Subaru engine.

Another idea would be a Cannonball Heresy Run. Anything that would make a purist cringe. Think about the possibilities, a classic Mercedes or Porsche 911 with an LS engine, a Pontiac with a Ford small block, a Mustang with a Mark IV Supra engine? You could even go with a bodyswap like a Tamiya BMW 635 body on an AMT Dodge Charger police package with a Hellcat engine.

Would there be interest in a sub-category for curbsides as well? The competitors would concentrate on surface details. That way, those with less time, or budget could compete on their own?

I like the Heresy idea! I built one years ago for another forum( now gone the way of the dodo) that actually made a few purists feel very upset 😂

Ladies and Gents I give you the “Hemaro”!!

IMG_3049.jpeg

IMG_3053.jpeg

IMG_3052.jpeg

IMG_3050.jpeg

• Like 1

On 11/30/2023 at 4:45 PM, stitchdup said:

has the panamerica highway been done before? 19,000 miles of every road surface possible.

I love the idea Les, but as a separate CB, like the Peking to Paris.

Propose it as a new CBP and see what responses you get.

On 11/30/2023 at 4:45 PM, stitchdup said:

has the panamerica highway been done before? 19,000 miles of every road surface possible.

10 hours ago, MeatMan said:

I love the idea Les, but as a separate CB, like the Peking to Paris.

Propose it as a new CBP and see what responses you get.

I agree, this deserves its own build. Make a post and we can hammer out some rules and a time period to shoot for. 

• Like 1