Model Cars Magazine Forum

2024 Cannonball Run theme ideas thread?

Tim H

On 12/8/2023 at 6:15 PM, Fat Brian said:

This is a conversation to have to have. Do we want Radwood, cars 80 to 99 with period appropriate mods or "The 80s", which would include all of the Radwood stuff but also prostreet and the beginnings of the billet hotrod scene and other period styling.

This was my initial suggestion and I don't want to impose. I'm open to whatever topic we choose. I thought Radwood might be a good one because the topic can be so broad. It could cover vehicles from around 80 to 99 as pointed out, and the competitor could use all sorts of customizing. Maybe allow for a modern chassis or drivetrain? Any of the period fads, such as ProStreet, Billet, or ProTouring or whatever would be cool. I loved hot hatches at the time and had a couple so maybe you could go with a Japanese or Euro tuning theme as well. For a while there was a Scirroco(?) that had two engines, one in the front and one in the rear. I even had a friend in the 90s who took advantage of Texas' lax inspection and titling to get tags and title on his dad's old Street Stock circle track car. It was beat up, so he put the body from a wrecked Thunderbird LX. It was the closest thing to a street legal NASCAR we'd ever seen. Not sure what you'd call it, but it was rad!

Edited by oldcarfan
Can't stop talking.
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, stitchdup said:

I'd be in for radwood, ... heres a fully 80s mk2 golf with a zender bodykit

Never heard of the Radwood term before this thread. Irony is that those were my formative years - BBS spoke wheels, widebody flares over steamroller tires. When I got my current daily driver '86 GTI back in '93, the dream was the Rieger kit for it and synchro drive to at least give the rear tires a legit reason for that width (still dreamin' though, accepting donations, just remember to make the checks out to "Cash.")

RiegerGTI.jpg.84619064d64f1a30054ade428a6d17c9.jpg

Edited by Russell C
typo
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Russell C said:

Never heard of the Radwood term before this thread. Irony is that those were my formative years - BBS spoke wheels, widebody flares over steamroller tires. When I got my current daily driver '86 GTI back in '93, the dream was the Rieger kit for it and synchro drive to at least give the rear tires a legit reason for that width (still dreamin' though, accepting donations, just remember to make the checks out to "Cash.")

RiegerGTI.jpg.84619064d64f1a30054ade428a6d17c9.jpg

stick a r32 in that and you have a current build. upsize and 3 piece the rims on a set of bags and you'd set the internet on fire

• Like 1

On 12/5/2023 at 10:54 AM, Lunajammer said:

Not that I have any skin in the game but I've always thought a fun CBP theme would be vehicles named after physical places; Monte Carlo, Denali, Mercury, (Ferrari) California, Galaxie, Europa, (Taurus?), Fairlane, Eldorado, Caprice (Ghana), Daytona, Malibu, Bonneville, Comet (of your choosing), Torino, Polara, Bel Air, Plymouth, Riviera, Tudor, etc, etc. If you Google enough you could probably find someplace named after almost anything.

Heck, you could make the argument that a vehicle with just a number could be a physical address, but you would have to state the address.

"Cannonball GPS."

On 11/28/2023 at 7:53 PM, Tim08 said:

I'm kinda liking the older the me build. Lots of choices. Truck,work vehicles sounds cool too.

On 11/27/2023 at 7:08 AM, Fat Brian said:

I've got another one, The Swingin' 70's!  Build anything you want but do it in 70s style.

For the ideas that have been posted I can make the utility vehicles theme work and can probably do a couple more.

I was reading all the ideas posted and quoted the ideas that interested me.  If I joined would be my first. I also thought of it being the I- 40 special sea to sea  on route all thru great states. I build mostly box stock but can hotrod an engine.  Depends what the race is if I join. No promises I will join but I enjoyed the last or current one builds. Keep those ideas going..

While not the official poll, here are some of the counts going by liking in the thread.

#1 is Radwood with 11 mentioned liking

#2 is service vehicles with 8 liking

#3 is a three way tie Resto-mod, Cannonball GPS and wagon/hatchbacks

All the other mentioned as a theme are tied a 2 mentions each.

This list is what I seen as liking a particular build. Again not an official poll or anything like that.

We also could roll some themes together wagons and hatchbacks can be in Restomod as could 4 door. luxury,Full size, swinging 70s. even Radwood. All a matter of build subject and where it goes. Remember the cannonball is an outlaw race across the country. Doubt many stock 78 Camaros could hold up to the task. Look at some of the 1:1 scale Cannonballers. Most all are highly modified race vehicles.

Tim

Edited by Tim H

57 minutes ago, Tim H said:

While not the official poll, here are some of the counts going by liking in the thread.

#1 is Radwood with 11 mentioned liking

#2 is service vehicles with 8 liking

#3 is a three way tie Resto-mod, Cannonball GPS and wagon/hatchbacks

All the other mentioned as a theme are tied a 2 mentions each.

This list is what I seen as liking a particular build. Again not an official poll or anything like that.

We also could roll some themes together wagons and hatchbacks can be in Restomod as could 4 door. luxury,Full size, swinging 70s. even Radwood. All a matter of build subject and where it goes. Remember the cannonball is an outlaw race across the country. Doubt many stock 78 Camaros could hold up to the task. Look at some of the 1:1 scale Cannonballers. Most all are highly modified race vehicles.

Tim

Nice ad-hoc poll!

Hello all!

Since we've narrowed down the most popular themes, I've made a survey that we can run through the 20th of this month. The link below will take you to the survey while the other will take you to the results.

As with this year's Run poll, the choices are randomized. Again, please, only one vote per person. 

2024 Cannonball Run Theme Poll

Live Results

Edited by White Rabbit
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tim H said:

Doubt many stock 78 Camaros could hold up to the task. Look at some of the 1:1 scale Cannonballers. Most all are highly modified race vehicles.

Funny story about that... whenever I've bought a car, the running joke is the seller saying "I wouldn't be afraid to drive from here to California" (I've lived in VA. my whole life) So my point is if you have a reliable car, and a little faith in the highway system well then I guess anything's possible 😆 I'd be more nervous about the other idiots besides myself on the road than my 78 Camaro not holding up to the task. 🤣 I trekked home 320 miles from North Carolina over 2 mountains in a 76 Nova that basically sat in a garage for 40 years. Granted that's not the road trip in question but I think it could've made it😁

Also, I road tripped an 06 Vette to Tampa Bay 1,300 miles one way, traded swap even for a 70 SS 454 Monte Carlo and drove it back. Not without failures though I'm afraid. Seperated tires, charging system failed and about $600 wasted in fuel. It was definitely an experience I won't forget! 

Edited by disconovaman

16 minutes ago, Camaro lover said:

I’ve never done a group build before. Will there be rules ? Or just whatever fits in the theme. 

The theme is usually defined with enough detail that more rules aren't necessary.  

Take a look back at some of the starting posts for the other cannonball group builds and you can get a feel for the guidelines.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Camaro lover said:

I’ve never done a group build before. Will there be rules ? Or just whatever fits in the theme. 

Hello! I'm glad that you're deciding to join in the Cannonball; it's really a fun group build with many motivated builders.

There are some rules to ensure that the build is fair and to create consistency for the theme. The following link will bring you to this year's Cannonball build where you can read the rules and get an idea of how the Run, well, runs: 2023 Cannonball . The rules for next year will be effectively the same with some adjustments for the selected theme.

The most important part of the Cannonball, though, is to have fun! There is plenty of room for creativity (which is always encouraged) and finding something of interest to build your way. And, of course, if you ever have any questions, you have a great group that will find you an answer.

Edited by White Rabbit

1 hour ago, Camaro lover said:

There will be rules depending on the theme, the main thing is to have fun and stretch your imagination. Going by your screen name, you might look for something like one of these?

aaaCannonballCamaro.jpg

aaaCannonballCamaroOneLap.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Camaro lover said:

I’m kicking around the idea of joining too and I haven’t done a GB before either.  Although I have committed to my first one on another site.  
I’m sort of just waiting to see what direction this one goes before committing.

The whole concept of a GB sounds like a lot of fun to me.👍

Edited by atomicholiday

22 hours ago, oldcarfan said:

aaaCannonballCamaro.jpg

Yup, I can tell you right now that's Buzz Bundy doing the driving in that pic. He was the only stunt driver of that era who rode on two wheels with drivers side up and he did it across all action TV shows and movies of the 70s and 80s. It was his signature. He took a beating getting good at it, which is partly why the rest preferred to be drivers side down.

buzz-1.jpeg.d1902e24ebcb3d6c4de573347315be81.jpegbuzz-2.jpeg.736849071e94243fbb55905132a337dd.jpeg

images-1.jpeg.409c45bffcc85dba5c07fb602ab69a43.jpegjames-bond-film-stunt7-e1589767493585.jpeg.9722e8606c4de8c522c2f7de890f3e5c.jpeg

Edited by Lunajammer
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, slusher said:

Guys what is Radwood?

RADwood is a celebration of '80s and '90s automotive lifestyle. A car show that blends period correct dress with automotive Awesomeness. A period correct event for cars, trucks, and bikes from 1980-1999 that captures the essence of a bodacious era.

A Car culture movement that has been gaining popularity for 6 or 7 years, the RADwood theme was created to pay tribute to an era of perhaps less important cars in an effort to keep the memories alive. 😁

Some examples are Honda Civic, Nissan Pulsar, Pontiac Fireo, PT Prowler, or any car customizing trends from the 80's or 90's such as Mini Trucks, Pro Street, Wild Graphics, and mono-chomatic paint.

I seen this recently and thought Wow! this is a good representation of the early 90's. I call it the "Dare To Be Different" era. 

Screenshot_20231213_214601.jpg

• Like 2

20 hours ago, disconovaman said:

RADwood is a celebration of '80s and '90s automotive lifestyle. A car show that blends period correct dress with automotive Awesomeness. A period correct event for cars, trucks, and bikes from 1980-1999 that captures the essence of a bodacious era.

A Car culture movement that has been gaining popularity for 6 or 7 years, the RADwood theme was created to pay tribute to an era of perhaps less important cars in an effort to keep the memories alive. 😁

Some examples are Honda Civic, Nissan Pulsar, Pontiac Fireo, PT Prowler, or any car customizing trends from the 80's or 90's such as Mini Trucks, Pro Street, Wild Graphics, and mono-chomatic paint.

I seen this recently and thought Wow! this is a good representation of the early 90's. I call it the "Dare To Be Different" era. 

Screenshot_20231213_214601.jpg

Thank you, Sir your never to old too learn.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2023 at 9:06 PM, Lunajammer said:

I can tell you right now that's Buzz Bundy

He was a fill-in stuntman for the DOH because they had their own stunt team. No one could Ski a car like him.

I seen the Charger you have posted in both pictures in Tennessee at the Dukesfest in 2005. The reason I know it's the same car is because only one stunt car was used to do this stunt throughout the entire series.

It survived and is one of very few stunt cars that was leftover after the series ended left in General Lee livery. I have a photo of it in my photo album, it's still OK looking. 

It's GL#17 I think, very early car.  The Dukes builders got the idea to document the cars in the beginning. The windshields were scribed with the letters and numbers WB (Warner Brothers) GL and the number they were built in. I'm a walking encyclopedia of useless DOH knowledge. 😆