Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '70 Chevy Impala Lowrider

Csaba aka felhasznaaloo

This is built from the Fire Chief kit, with extensive modifications to the chassis and suspension front and back, to make that lowrider stance happen. I also wanted the car to be able to 'stand tall', so the suspension can be adjusted to display the model with various ride heights and rakes.

The paintwork was a lot of fun to do, lots of layers... my first time masking pinstripes, and also some cotton lace to imitate that flower-kind-of pattern. The last layer was supposed to be purple 'wire fence' motif over the maroon beltline, but it is just barely visible. Oh well... next time.

Unbelievable but I only made one mistake during the unmasking process, which I was able to correct afterwards. Thanks for looking.

20230602_151039.jpg

20230602_151107.jpg

20230610_185205.jpg

20230610_153138.jpg

20230610_185429.jpg

20230602_150238.jpg

• Like 11

8 hours ago, 6bblbird said:

I've been building model cars for over 60 years and I can't come even close to painting like that! Awesome! ( maybe in another 60)

Thanks! Believe me, my other paintjobs don't even come close. All you need is, devote it some extra planning time, masking tape cutting time, masking time, cursing time;) never forgetting a light coat of clear after a new layer of masking... a very rewarding thing to do.