Model Cars Magazine Forum

NEW GOOGLE/CHROME RELATED GLITCHES

Ace-Garageguy

browsers will do that sometimes while they are updating, usually towards the end of the data stream while its getting ready to install. i think it might be down to the processor getting overworked by trying to load the pics on the forum at the same time and just giving up. background processes can do it too. I get it on my 2 gig processor (that i use for most stuff) laptop but never on the 8 gig processor (only ever used for printer/slicer and cults)

Hi!

I read today that Chrome is, by design, implementing all sorts of "annoyances" for those among us who have ad blockers and use Chrome browser.

It may, at first,  take the form of 5 to 6 seconds delays upon accessing a site or trying to navigate successive pages on same site. It seems that they will ultimately (later in 2024) bar/complicate any navigation if you "persist" in using an ad blocker. Their appetite for revenues is limitless.

Talk about abusing your "monopoly"...

CT 

Thats only in north america Claude, in europe they have laws about competition that they have to follow or they risk being blocked and fined by local and regional governments for breaking the rules. Its this reason that motortrend isn't offcially avaialable in europe without a work around or vpn.

4 hours ago, stitchdup said:

Thats only in north america Claude, in europe they have laws about competition that they have to follow or they risk being blocked and fined by local and regional governments for breaking the rules. Its this reason that motortrend isn't offcially avaialable in europe without a work around or vpn.

Hi Les!

I knew of your laws, and I know similar regulations apply in US and Canada. But I guess regulators are slow moving, because of lobby efforts. As they say: "We have the best governments money can buy".

Oh well...

CT 

• Haha 2

Chrome is a Google product, and ever since they removed "Don't Be Evil" as their corporate motto, they've been rationalizing how being just like the competitors they were poking in the eye with that slogan...or worse...is really good for users and business and consumers, and how we should all say several "hail-Googles" daily because they're such a benefit to mankind.

Okayyyyyy.......

image.png.c588496a53222f330c73a5cfa0e060ae.png

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

Nobody's forcing anybody to use Chrome. There are several different browsers  available.   I always thought Chrome (and Google) was evil tracking browser. Never had it installed on my personal computer.  I use Seamonkey for accessing this forum. There is also Firefox, and few other non-Google browsers out there.

What makes you all use Chrome? I suggest stopping drinking the "Google Cool-Aid", and using different browser.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2023 at 1:03 AM, peteski said:

Nobody's forcing anybody to use Chrome. There are several different browsers  available.   I always thought Chrome (and Google) was evil tracking browser. Never had it installed on my personal computer.  I use Seamonkey for accessing this forum. There is also Firefox, and few other non-Google browsers out there.

What makes you all use Chrome? I suggest stopping drinking the "Google Cool-Aid", and using different browser.

Awfully paranoid for a guy who talks to his voice command Tesla, aren't you?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chuck Most said:

Awfully paranoid for a guy who talks to his voice command Tesla, aren't you?

LOL!
Last year me GF rented a Tesla for a day (under her name) as a birthday gift for me. Yes, I took it for a joy ride, but "it" didn't know what I was (gave it a fake name). :P:)

And it is not about being paranoid. It is about the big-brother private mega-companies gathering all your personal info and monetizing it, making billions of dollars in profits.  I just don't like to be one of their "sheep". And all that data (including lots of very important personal info) can be gathered by hackers through data breaches, causing all sorts of problems for us.   While my efforts to limit exposure of my personal data on the Interwebs is futile, it still makes me feel better that at least I'm trying.  Some of you out there are fully transparent and don't care. I'll never understand that mentality.

And here I simply pointed out that there are other browsers than Chrome.  The online world is not just Google.

Edited by peteski
  • Thanks 1

At least for the moment, Firefox is treating me very well. I use it in conjunction with Privacy Badger, AdBlocker Ultimate and Duckduckgo Privacy Essentials as well as Cookie Auto delete. Seems like a lot, but they are all free and work flawlessly together. I never have any hiccups, and zero ads on any site. If a site wants me to disable ad blockers to view it I handle it on a case by case basis. Personally I can't imagine using Chrome. It's too much Big Brother for me.

• Like 3

I'm getting data error messages when i try to post and when i try to access the forum. sometimes it says the data is currupted and other that say data error. i'm using firefox on windows 11. its not a regular error, and its only been happening since monday, but not on every post, just the odd one here and there. the error screen that pops up is black and white only when usually the modelcars logo is in colour. if i refresh or click the try again button on the page a few times it seems to post but i get stuck on the error page until i open a previously accessed page. it seems to be intermittent, i might get it on every post for ten mins or i might get it on none for hours. The only constant is its between 10am and 12pm gmt each time

just happened again. screenshot it

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 12-15-26 Error.png

Edited by stitchdup
added screenshot

had both 404  bad gateways redirects 
and the one stichedup posted above while trying to post a want ad and  which ended up with a double posting of it when i went to report the post to be deleted then i tried again and it went through 
i use safari not chrome  so it is not limited to that one browser 

• 2 weeks later...

Got this twice this AM...

An error occurred An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

No such file or directory

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.

Try again

I believe I can provide some inside on this.

There has been several big discoveries that allow computers and phone to be compromised. You can thank the banks for creating all of the online banking which is a opportunity for stealing lots of money.

I has been common practice to use a key block of code called a library rather than each program having it own version. On the plus side it makes it easier to maintain however the down side is when it there is an issue lots of programs can be compromised. This recent weakness can affect iPhone, Android phones, and most browsers. 

The end result is that there has been a scramble to fix the issues and not break anything else. In this situation they may be fine tuning the changes. 

Hope I was able to shed some light on this.

On 12/29/2023 at 4:23 AM, stitchdup said:

I'm getting data error messages when i try to post and when i try to access the forum. sometimes it says the data is currupted and other that say data error. i'm using firefox on windows 11. its not a regular error, and its only been happening since monday, but not on every post, just the odd one here and there. the error screen that pops up is black and white only when usually the modelcars logo is in colour. if i refresh or click the try again button on the page a few times it seems to post but i get stuck on the error page until i open a previously accessed page. it seems to be intermittent, i might get it on every post for ten mins or i might get it on none for hours. The only constant is its between 10am and 12pm gmt each time

just happened again. screenshot it

Screenshot 2023-12-30 at 12-15-26 Error.png

Just got this same message twice, but I am back in almost immediately.

.....and this reply took forever to post.

Edited by Rodent

Now, occasionally I'm getting a hang-fire when I try to post, or log in, or just look at the site without logging in, and sometimes I'm getting a "THIS POST CAN'T BE EDITED BLA BLA BLA" message...and the edit gets dumped into the ether (whereas they used to be saved, and would magically reappear if you tried to edit later).

• 2 weeks later...

getting the missing directory messages again this morning and the forum is hanging up when i try to post. There is a work around for the hanging up, when your post takes much longer than usual to upload, hit refresh on your browser. It seems to work and saves having the same post multiple times as happens by hitting submit reply again.

• Like 1

The issue I've had lately has been in searching... when the results come up, what ever you click on gives an error... "sorry something went wrong" with an option to contact.

When you try to contact, it gives a 504 gateway error.

I'd upload photos on the messages, but it won't let me do that this morning either.

• Like 1

just ran into a new one, to me anyway.. I've clicked on several topics this morning and get..

templateforums/front/topics/topic is throwing an error. this theme may be out of date. run the support tool in the admincp to restore the default theme

Edited by KWT
  • Like 1