Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham

Andy Oldenburg

Andy, the model is beautiful!  You did an excellent job making a bad kit look really good, and all the opening features make it even better.

I did have to smile because we both used similar color on out models of this car.  Mine is smaller (1:32 scale) Gunze Sangyo curbside model.  It is a very basic kit, but it seems to have correct proportions and good amount of visible details.  I built it around 30 years ago (before easy access to photos on the Internet), and it was my first car kit on which I used Bare Metal Foil.  I hope you don't mind me posting photos of my Caddy.  They are scans of 4x6 snapshots taken with my 35mm camera back then.

Gunze57eldoradoFront.jpg

Gunze57eldoradoRear.jpg

13 hours ago, peteski said:

Andy, the model is beautiful!  You did an excellent job making a bad kit look really good, and all the opening features make it even better.

I did have to smile because we both used similar color on out models of this car.  Mine is smaller (1:32 scale) Gunze Sangyo curbside model.  It is a very basic kit, but it seems to have correct proportions and good amount of visible details.  I built it around 30 years ago (before easy access to photos on the Internet), and it was my first car kit on which I used Bare Metal Foil.  I hope you don't mind me posting photos of my Caddy.  They are scans of 4x6 snapshots taken with my 35mm camera back then.

Gunze57eldoradoFront.jpg

Gunze57eldoradoRear.jpg

Hi Peter,

that Gunze Sangyo does look like it had much more detailing right out of the box, even though it has a much smaller scale. Yes, our builds do look quite the same, what a coincidence! Sounds like a Japanese kit. I have heard that those manufacturers have a higher standard of detailing and fitting quality. I must check out what I can get from my European suppliers. So if you are already at car model building for over 30 years, I will not be able to catch up with your building record. I started 3 years ago during the Corona lock down. Remembered what I loved to do as a kid and it saved my soul. I´m glad to be in this forum and share my passion!

Best wishes, Andy

On 12/23/2023 at 8:08 AM, Andy Oldenburg said:

Hi Peter,

that Gunze Sangyo does look like it had much more detailing right out of the box, even though it has a much smaller scale. Yes, our builds do look quite the same, what a coincidence! Sounds like a Japanese kit. I have heard that those manufacturers have a higher standard of detailing and fitting quality. I must check out what I can get from my European suppliers. So if you are already at car model building for over 30 years, I will not be able to catch up with your building record. I started 3 years ago during the Corona lock down. Remembered what I loved to do as a kid and it saved my soul. I´m glad to be in this forum and share my passion!

Best wishes, Andy

Thank you Andy.  As for catching up with me (number of models finished), I'm not a very prolific modeler.  In the last 40 years I probably have not built more than couple dozen models.  I do have a sizable stash of kits - I hope to get them all built in my lifetime. :)

Yes, Gunze Sangyo is a Japanese manufacturer, but they have not produced a lot of American prototype automotive kits.  They are more well known for their multiple lines of hobby paints (like Mr. Color).  That Caddy was a part of their '50s-'60s collection series.  Some of those models were sold in Revell packaging. Very simple kits, but they seem to have the correct proportions, and finely molded details.  As other Japanese kits from the '70s, the can be motorized.

And yes, generally speaking kits from Japanese kit manufacturers like Gunze, Tamiya, Fujimi, or Aoshima are a pleasure to build and have a good level of detail.  If you never built a Japanese kit I highly recommend to pick one up and give it a try.

If you live in USA, I would recommend buying the kit from one of the dealers in Japan.  The Dollar-Yen exchange rate is currently very favorable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy, you really went to town on that one, superb. I built the original Revell kit many years back I did make mine a box stock version and yes I was a little let down on the level of detail but understood it was produced just as model cars were really getting under in the 1950s. But I stuck with it and some minor detailing from another kit or two I like to think I produced a reasonable example. 

One thing I did notice on your model you missed out, they were the vents on the top of the fenders just in front of the windshield, I got around this by using the side vents from a Jo-han Chrysler Turbine kit, the are just the correct size to duplicate these parts.  Revell -Monogram's 1959 Cadillac kits can be also a supply for parts also.
The original Revell Brougham kit has been rereleased by Atlantis by the way though I really love the original 1950s box art and is probably the best part of that kit.

1st pic mine
2nd Pic is from Google images(Chrysler)

P9300458.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-08 201853.png

12 hours ago, HotRodaSaurus said:

Hi Andy, you really went to town on that one, superb. I built the original Revell kit many years back I did make mine a box stock version and yes I was a little let down on the level of detail but understood it was produced just as model cars were really getting under in the 1950s. But I stuck with it and some minor detailing from another kit or two I like to think I produced a reasonable example. 

One thing I did notice on your model you missed out, they were the vents on the top of the fenders just in front of the windshield, I got around this by using the side vents from a Jo-han Chrysler Turbine kit, the are just the correct size to duplicate these parts.  Revell -Monogram's 1959 Cadillac kits can be also a supply for parts also.
The original Revell Brougham kit has been rereleased by Atlantis by the way though I really love the original 1950s box art and is probably the best part of that kit.

1st pic mine
2nd Pic is from Google images(Chrysler)

P9300458.jpg

Screenshot 2024-01-08 201853.png

Hello John,

thanks for your response and the further information on the Brougham. My kit is actually an Atlantis. I restarted model car building 3 years ago and so I missed out on a lot of science that you long time builders can look back on. If so, I would not have ordered this kit. But once I had it, it roused my ambition and then one step led to another.

I do much research before ever build to check as many details as possible, but my images didn´t reveal the true look of those vents. Oh well.... Thanks for the hint, but I will not start carving this build for the vents😖🤣

Best wishes, Andy

• Like 1

Just about anyone can build up a decently engineered kit. This build shows skills and a mind set that is above the average builder. It's gratifying to make something special out of a 'sow's ear', right ?

Hello Jon, Mike and Helmut, and others I may have forgotten,

thanks for your friendly response, I am flattered and it feels good. 😁

As I have written before, I didn´t know ahead what I would receive when I ordered this kit and had no knowledge of its history. I started about 3 years ago with model building, but I have a long experience in drawing, painting and crafting. When I started during Corona I was just rushing into building as fast as possible, a model a month. Then I discovered how much fun detailing can be, which meant more time per model but since my skills progressed I still had a high output.

Last year I changed my approach. I am now more "relaxed" and take as much time as necessary for my builds. Meaning only accepting my best possible effort and implementing every wack idea I might come across. This is "just" a hobby, but important to me. I have all the time in the world....

I hope I could inspire you just like all of the others on this forum have given me a big push!✌️