Model Cars Magazine Forum

ModelcarJR's 2023 Year in Review

ModelcarJR

I built 31 models during 2023. Some turned out great, some turned out not so great and some were just OK. Here's just a few arranged in my own view of the hobby! 

Keeping it Fun! 

I started the year repairing this old Hawk Weird-OH Li'l Digger! It had fallen off the shelf years ago and I stuck it in a box and stuck it in the closet. It was the first one I re-built this year to remind me to keep it fun! I re-painted a number of faded parts and glued everything back together. A quick and easy fun project! 

image.png.1d9ca55adcc3b69d0df367921f38f4e1.png

The Bad and the Ugly

These three builds were real disappointments so let me get them out of the way quickly. An MPC 75 Datsun pickup, the AMT Petty Short Track Sportsman, and the AMT 65 Ford Galaxie 500.  I thought I would use Rustoleum Flat Gray Primer because of its darker color. What could go wrong? But I knew that Rustoleum was bad paint and then I forgot about the 24 hour rule and the additional note on the can: "Note: On plastic maximum paint adhesion and durability is achieved in 5-7 days." Bad paint and bad kit. Note to self; never use Rustoleum again. the two AMT kits were difficult to build. Getting the front wheels right on the Petty car was just a PITA. i tried to add some things like a window net and fire extinguisher but it just didn't do it for me. The 65 Ford body didn't like my first color, Tamiya Maroon and maybe it was a bad can so I had to strip it and re-paint with Dupli-Color Dark Toreador Metallic. The body finally came out OK but the rest of the kit is junk. No radiator hoses, no mirrors, poorly engraved interior, bad window glass, and sloppy poseable steering. 

image.png.075afe483e3378274e1d94b8a99b740c.png

Its the Paint, the Paint, the Paint! 

The 56 Del Ray is painted with a mix of an old bottle of MCW Yellow Gold, a Dodge color, and a mark-down bottle of drab green nail polish. I mixed my own Crocus and airbrushed it. The black is Dupli-Color.  The Dodge Monaco (its the Joker Goon Car kit)  is painted with Krylon Avocado Satin, with a Krylon Ivory Satin vinyl top. I wouldn't try it with any of the Krylon gloss paint but since its satin with a clear on the body it worked out well.  The Willys is painted with Tamiya Orange and Dupli-Color Black. It was built around Halloween, hence the colors and the finish came out great! First place in one contest. 

image.png.32f5742c13268381acdaad21f33fd9cb.png

Winners

Each of these placed in the Houston Space City Shootout.  All are painted with Dupli-Color from a rattle can. The 48 Ford was built box stock and finished third in that category. The 57 Chevy was built as a Boyd Coddington tribute to the "Chubster" and took third place in Custom. The 71 Olds 442 W-30 was painted Dark Toreador Metallic and is probably the best "new tool" I have built this year. It took 2nd place in Factory Stock and was published in the contest coverage of Model Car Magazine's latest issue.

image.png.9c85cdc2c8396da4d50ef606671b46d1.png

Three Tees

I built these T's box stock with wild colors. A chopped T, a stock T, and Tweety Pie 2. 

image.png.accb6148f3fac31dc30f6d2dc7d5d1ba.png

Wild Paint

The Charger was a pleasant surprise as it is the 2nd best "new tool" I've built this year. The paint is Tamiya Candy Lime Green and is close to Sublime Green so it makes a convincing replica of an actual car. The 57 Ford Fairlane is a very old kit that I painted Tamiya Light Red Pearl with Dupli-Color Dark Toreador Metallic. its a real change from the standard red and white one. 

image.png.6d505640a04b00cc24aeb757e424e5e3.png

The Surprises

Last, but not least, are the Surprises. I was very pleasantly surprised by the 37 Ford Pick-up. I received this one as a birthday present from my grandsons. it almost fell into place and the Krylon Satin Italian Olive and Dupli-color Black look like they were just made for it and go together well. The 33 Cadillac Fleetwood All Weather Phaeton is and old Testors/Italeri kit that I bought on a discount in the 90s and I have been moving it around in the closet for years because I thought it would be nothing but trouble with its multi-piece frame and body. To my surprise, it went together easily and looks great! Finally, I just finished the old AMT Kraco Special Indy 500 Michael Andretti race car. I build a few Indy 500 cars and I thought that this would just be a routine box stock build but it built up well and I was able to add some wiring, plumbing and IndyCals tire decals, all of which made a big difference and makes it a standout. 

image.png.f1dce57c8f464dfaf6bcd4ee27d586d4.png

So that's it for the year - not all of them but the ones that are memorable for various reasons. Thanks for looking and Happy New Year's Modeling! 

• Like 4

Wow John!

That's an incredibly impressive turnout for the year!

Congratulations on the show placements too.

I really like the Caddy.

Coincidentally, I'm working on my own version of that AMT 57 Ford. So far it seems to be a decent kit.

David G.