Model Cars Magazine Forum

What was the last actual AMT kit issued?

My question assumes that AMT is no longer around as a designer/molder/issuer of styrene model kits, and that any AMT-badged kits that do come out are the result of Round2's efforts at re-issuing previously released product.  (If I'm wrong about this, please let me know, and if possible provide some evidence).

So, back to the question: what was the last actual AMT release?  Something from the late Mueller era, the 2017 Camaro, or...?

There are 2021 Dodge Charger and Ford Bronco kits. There was also the Garwood Garbage truck, based on the Ford C600 kit. Those are pretty recent.

It has been the trend for AMT to do several re-issues, modified re-issues with each brand new kit pretty much since R2 took over.

42 minutes ago, Monty said:

My question assumes that AMT is no longer around as a designer/molder/issuer of styrene model kits, and that any AMT-badged kits that do come out are the result of Round2's efforts at re-issuing previously released product.  (If I'm wrong about this, please let me know, and if possible provide some evidence).

So, back to the question: what was the last actual AMT release?  Something from the late Mueller era, the 2017 Camaro, or...?

Following that line of thinking,, wouldn't AMT have ceased to exist when Lesney bought them out in the '70s?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Aaronw said:

There are 2021 Dodge Charger and Ford Bronco kits. There was also the Garwood Garbage truck, based on the Ford C600 kit. Those are pretty recent.

It has been the trend for AMT to do several re-issues, modified re-issues with each brand new kit pretty much since R2 took over.

Maybe that's part of why I'm confused.  If AMT is still around, why would they allow Round2 to offer the re-issues?  Don't the molds still belong to AMT? 

round 2 own the brand and its copywrites as far as i know. they have done kits recently. amt as a brand still exist because it sells product, and when its been taken over each time they kept the name. its probably why penzoil dont sell ketchup, its just not a brand you would associate with the product when heinz exist and even if its the best in the world heinz would outsell them every year and the costs in advertising to beat them would make it not worthwhile to do. amt as a brand are known for model kits and memerobilia so rebranding to lesney would probably have lost sales as who's heard of lesney model kits? a lot of brands are probably worth more as a brand than products simply for the associating we all place on them. for example, in scotland every vacuum cleaner is a hoover (except possibly a henry cos their just the best hoovers)

Here are the brands owned by Round 2 and AMT is just one of them.
Round 2 bought the Racing Champions, AMT and MPC brands from Tomy who still owns ERTL and later they added the others to the list.
ERTL is out of the model kit business and Round 2 got most of the tooling for the kits...appearently not all but most of them.

American Muscle

AMT

Auto World

Forever Fun

Hawk

Johnny Lightning

Legends of the Quarter Mile

Lindberg

Mini Metals

MPC

Polar Lights

Racing Champions

Silver Screen Machines

Vintage Fuel

1 hour ago, Monty said:

Maybe that's part of why I'm confused.  If AMT is still around, why would they allow Round2 to offer the re-issues?  Don't the molds still belong to AMT? 

I didn't understand your question. As others have said, Round 2 is the parent company, AMT is just one of several brands under Round 2.

Like many other businesses the model industry has gone through a lot of mergers and it can get confusing as to who owns what.   

47 minutes ago, Aaronw said:

I didn't understand your question. As others have said, Round 2 is the parent company, AMT is just one of several brands under Round 2.

Like many other businesses the model industry has gone through a lot of mergers and it can get confusing as to who owns what.   

My assumption was that AMT technically no longer existed as an actual model company, and that pretty much anything being currently issued with their logo on the box is due to Round2 owning the rights to the name etc.  

I started the thread because I was wondering which (automotive) kit was the last actually designed by AMT's people.  I knew there was a 2017 Camaro, but a couple members have mentioned a few more recent offerings.   

3 hours ago, Force said:

Here are the brands owned by Round 2 and AMT is just one of them.
Round 2 bought the Racing Champions, AMT and MPC brands from Tomy who still owns ERTL and later they added the others to the list.
ERTL is out of the model kit business and Round 2 got most of the tooling for the kits...appearently not all but most of them.

I believe when Round 2 finalized the AMT/MPC purchase, they only got the Ertl non-tractor molds. I believe the reason was companies like John Deere had exclusive merchandising contracts with Ertl/Tomy that couldn't be transferred to R2. Not sure what are of the Tractor tools now or if R2 got them later, but I do know many of them haven't been reissued since 2007 and currently go for stoopid money in the marketplaces.

In addition to the all styrene trucks and 4x4s that have been recently reissued, Ertl also did various trucks and kits with die cast bodies.

'65 Mustang

'80 Trans Am

'80 Camaro

'81 Bronco

'75 Corvette

Peterbilt 359?

Mack DM Series?

It's possible the tooling still exists for some of these, but the odds are unlikely since R2 had to remake the International Transtar tool from the ground up.

5 hours ago, Can-Con said:

Following that line of thinking,, wouldn't AMT have ceased to exist when Lesney bought them out in the '70s?

The last original-issue 1/25 scale car or light truck by the the original AMT Corp. before Lesney ownership?

The Subaru Brat perhaps?

(Image: Page from the 1979 AMT/Lesney catalog)

1979AMTCatalog011-vi.jpg

SO I guess the question would be what was the last AMT kit designed by the original engineering staff and molds cut by original AMT die makers?  Woudl that Exclude EMT/Earl reincarnation?  I guess someone would have to know how long the original staff lasted in the new companies?  This is a very nebulous question with likely not good answers.  It can be interpreted in many ways. 

Or do you consider AMT to be the original company up until the most recent Round2 takeover in 2012?

To quote the Wikipedia:

For a time, AMT kits were reissued by independent companies such as Stevens International and Model King, before AMT came solidly into the stable of Round 2, LLC of South Bend, Indiana in 2012. In an ironic turn that parallels other large companies, AMT now co-exists in the same organization alongside a revived MPC and Polar Lights. Ertl is still in the Round 2, LLC stable as Ertl Collectibles.

39 minutes ago, peteski said:

Or do you consider AMT to be the original company up until the most recent Round2 takeover in 2012?

To quote the Wikipedia:

For a time, AMT kits were reissued by independent companies such as Stevens International and Model King, before AMT came solidly into the stable of Round 2, LLC of South Bend, Indiana in 2012. In an ironic turn that parallels other large companies, AMT now co-exists in the same organization alongside a revived MPC and Polar Lights. Ertl is still in the Round 2, LLC stable as Ertl Collectibles.

My admittedly limited understanding of how we got to where we are now includes Lesney's buyout of AMT and later Lesney's eventual bankruptcy.  I assumed at that point AMT was then back to being their own company.  I was also under the impression that what many refer to as "the Mueller kits" (early 2000s?) were the last real AMT-designed and tooled cars, but I vaguely remembered that there had also been 2017 Camaro and a few later subjects that other members mentioned above.  Were those actually AMT-designed and tooled kits?  

Please note:  I'm not trying to be argumentative.  Note how many assumptions I've made based on a lack of facts that several of you seem to be privy to.   

51 minutes ago, Monty said:

Please note:  I'm not trying to be argumentative.  Note how many assumptions I've made based on a lack of facts that several of you seem to be privy to.

I don't think you're argumentative, and as far as facts go, personally I'm not privy to any factual information other than what the AMT's timeline shows in the Wikipedia article.  Like I mentioned, the definition of "the original AMT" might be a bit fuzzy, depending on your definition of what a company is (and how many original employees are still there).

I'm also curious as to what is the goal of this exercise?  Are the original AMT-designed  kits better or worse than ones made at different times?

7 hours ago, stitchdup said:

amt as a brand are known for model kits and memerobilia so rebranding to lesney would probably have lost sales as who's heard of lesney model kits? a lot of brands are probably worth more as a brand than products simply for the associating we all place on them. for example, in scotland every vacuum cleaner is a hoover (except possibly a henry cos their just the best hoovers)

Lesney did indeed produce plastic model kits, branded as Matchbox. 🙂

10 minutes ago, peteski said:

I'm also curious as to what is the goal of this exercise?  Are the original AMT-designed  kits better or worse than ones made at different times?

I would just look at it from a historical perspective.

1 hour ago, peteski said:

I don't think you're argumentative, and as far as facts go, personally I'm not privy to any factual information other than what the AMT's timeline shows in the Wikipedia article.  Like I mentioned, the definition of "the original AMT" might be a bit fuzzy, depending on your definition of what a company is (and how many original employees are still there).

Working off the assumption that AMT had become defunct as a maker of kits, I just wondered what the last kit "they" designed was.  Simply that.

As someone who built AMT kits (among others) since the early '70s, I happen to think the "Mueller kits" (late '80s - early 2000s?)* were the best AMT kits made.  

* Another aspect of the story I'm pretty vague on, but to my mind, the kits were accurate and well-designed.  Some of the stuff from the '70s...well let's say they helped me become a better modeler.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Monty said:

As someone who built AMT kits (among others) since the early '70s, I happen to think the "Mueller kits" (late '80s - early 2000s?)* were the best AMT kits made.  

I'd agree. It really doesn't seem debatable, either. Starting with that '66 Nova, specifically.

16 hours ago, Monty said:

My assumption was that AMT technically no longer existed as an actual model company, and that pretty much anything being currently issued with their logo on the box is due to Round2 owning the rights to the name etc.  

I started the thread because I was wondering which (automotive) kit was the last actually designed by AMT's people.  I knew there was a 2017 Camaro, but a couple members have mentioned a few more recent offerings.   

I think the question is too vague for a definitive answer. AMT as an independent company ended in the late 1970s.

I'm not familiar enough with the organization of Round 2 to know if in its current form AMT is any less an entity than it was under Lesney (late 70s), Ertl (1980s) or RC2 (2000s).

Maybe somebody familiar with the operation at Round 2 could chip in to explain if the AMT line has its own design organization, or if there is a general design team for Round 2 and the different brands are just used for marketing.