Model Cars Magazine Forum

Collector or Builder ?

20 minutes ago, Lunajammer said:

Both. Primary intent is builder of the stash, but I do have several that I have no intention of building. I enjoy them for what they are and consider myself a caretaker until they get passed on to the next person.

Guess I should admit to a couple of those myself. Though I bought them intending to build (primarily pristine versions of kits I remember fondly from my youth), some of them turned out to be so nice I doubt I'll ever do much with 'em, other than open them occasionally for a whiff of that circa early '60s new-model smell.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

When my stash eased across the 150 mark a few years ago, I looked at the reality that Ill never build this many kits in the time I have left (Im 66). So, I stopped buying on impulse. I made a top 10 list of builds I want to do with the kits I already own. After all, they were all bought with a project in mind. I havent stopped buying kits but Ive only bought maybe 10 kits in the last 2 years and I havent bought any in 2024...🤣🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

I'm not sure.🤷 Maybe it's prolifity

I was curious, 'cause there ought to be a word for that, but I've never encountered it. So I went down the rabbit hole.

Apparently it's "prolificacy", which is a new one on me.  Definition of prolificacy: the quality of being prolific or highly productive

See all the great peripheral stuff you can learn from model cars?    B)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I was curious, 'cause there ought to be a word for that, but I've never encountered it. So I went down the rabbit hole.

Apparently it's "prolificacy", which is a new one on me.  Definition of prolificacy: the quality of being prolific or highly productive

See all the great peripheral stuff you can learn from model cars?    B)

Maybe so, but does it assure efficacy?   

• Haha 2

I'd have to say, it's the building part I like.   There are any number of prebuilt models out there where the subject is right, and so is the price, and they probably did a better job of putting it together than I would, but the urge to buy isn't there.   Just buying it and putting it on a shelf seems to unsatisfying.

However, as it becomes increasingly clear that this is the only way I'm going to get models of certain subjects,  I may have to rethink this.

Depends on what you are buying kits for;  If you buy the bare minimum of kits and actually built them then you are a purist builder.  

If the intention is to actually build them but it would be a lifetime impossibility due to the amassed kits outstripping your lifespan you are a builder/collector by default.

If just collecting kits with no intention of building them but eyeing them up as a future investment when the kits become rare you are purely a collector.

If just collecting models that are already built then you could be termed a cheque book modeller!

When I moved in my apartment , I set a goal of rebuilding my car model collection that I lost. I made 3 categories, the absolute must have, the whatever new interesting subjects and the, would be nice to have if I can find them. Most of it is already built, there are about 30 models left to do before I finally retire in 18 months. I have always been a builder, as for the collector part, when they are all in their place in the glass cabinets I set up, then it will be a collection . Having limited space and slowly declining eye-hand co-ordination, I want to finish it before it gets any worse. Once I'm retired and the whole thing is finished , I will switch to a related pass time which I find just as rewarding as building, I will try to improve my photographic skills and maybe post some of my old models in  new photosets. One thing I really appreciate on this forum is that some of you have posted some amazing builds of those rare kits, specifically , JO-HAN kits that are either super rare or unaffordable, so , a Big thank you for getting them out of the box and into the light . How I wish I could go back in time and buy all of their kits for 5$ each. and yes I would build them all. The sad part is , as many others have been thru this, when I'm gone, no one will want to keep all these models or even a few, none of  my family or friends have any interest in this hobby. It does not matter though, I did this for me . But at least, this time , I won't be here when they'll have to throw this all away.

• Like 2

Our kit stash is the quintessential example of aspirational clutter. 

I buy kits intending to build them. Along the way, I realized there were multiple "flavors" of kits for me. "Want to build" kits are the ones where I'll be disappointed with myself if I don't build them. "Like to build" kits are ones I think are cool, but don't trigger that disappointment. This distinction has made kit shopping much easier. I don't actually have a count of the kits in my stash, but I do feel like it's manageable, with relatively few "clinkers".

That said, some of my kits have appreciated considerably since I got them. My kids know this, and while I don't plan on cashing in, they'll know how to handle it when I depart. 

• Like 2

If I'm honest with myself, part of my continuing to add to an already overflowing collection of hobby stuff (not just car models) is an aversion to becoming like so many retired folks I know who seem to have no interests once they quit work, and often complain of "having nothing to do".

I have no comprehension of what that must feel like. I've always had way more interests and aspirations than I had time for, and thanks to the roll of the dice, I'm still healthy and fit enough to indulge my primary interests...building full-scale cars, road-tripping and hiking/exploring/camping/boating...for what looks from here as the foreseeable future.

HOWEVER...an injury or a health issue could change all that in an instant, so having indoor hobbies to fall back on gives me a measure of security from finding myself incapacitated with "nothing to do". And in the meantime, I enjoy them immensely "in the now", in spare time (which I don't have much of these days), so I make no excuses. 

When I'm gone, there's a flying RC club in my little town out west, and they'll get my aviation stuff to do with as they please.

There's also a railroad museum with a nice HO layout and a local club, and they'll get my train stuff.

Far as the car stuff goes, we'll just have to see. The big-car stuff like machine tools and vintage parts I'll likely leave to the local high school's vocational program. The car models...pretty well thought out too. The most valuable ones, those that are actually worth listing on eBay, are labeled as such, and can be easily liquidated by my primary heir...along with the real cars. The remainder can be dumped at consignment shops to bring whatever they'll bring, or given to shops that support "worthy" causes. All OK.

As long as they don't go in a dumpster or a trash fire, it makes no difference to me, and my will so stipulates.

• 4 weeks later...

Although it's been a very long time (years)😒 since I've been at my work bench but it still awaits patiently for my return as does the three projects that I've started. For now I'll consider myself a collector of both new and vintage kits. I hope to get back to building within the next year. As others have stated here about building, I'll never be able to build all 378 kits and still growing within my life time which brings me to what will become of my collection when I pass.. 🤔 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 6:32 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nope, but excessive kit acquisitiveness might be filed under profligacy.   :D

Stop it! You're killing me!  Even though I'm reading this 6 weeks late.  LOL

• Thanks 1

In response to the original question; currently I'm neither.  I would have to describe myself as an assembler that hopes to continue to develop the skills to consider himself a builder.  As for collector, nah.  I've never seen the point to collecting stuff just to have it though I suppose a well themed collection can have historical and educational value.

Edited by Andrew McD
typo
  • Like 1

On 3/14/2024 at 3:32 AM, Bugatti Fan said:

Aspirational Clutter !    What a brilliant way Dave Ambrose has summed this all up in just two words !

As much as I'd love to, I cannot claim credit for the phrase. I first encountered it in an article about books. Apparently, avid readers have the same problem we do, just with a different medium. I realized that the same thing could be said about our kit stashes, so the term stuck in my head and I've used it ever since. 

6 hours ago, Dave Ambrose said:

...Apparently, avid readers have the same problem we do, just with a different medium...

A woman I had some interest in came into my house, looked around, and asked "what do you do with all these books?"

That's when I knew she wasn't the one for me.  

Lucky she never made it as far as the model room. 

She probably would have run away screaming.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

A woman I had some interest in came into my house, looked around, and asked "what do you do with all these books?"

That's when I knew she wasn't the one for me.  

Lucky she never made it as far as the model room. 

She probably would have run away screaming.

You used to be able to tell a lot about a person by their bookshelf. (mine still work that way) E-books don't afford you that opportunity. Have to say they take up less space and won't get lost in a house fire. 

• Like 1