Model Cars Magazine Forum

Collector or Builder ?

I think there are two distinct aspects for this hobby.

The first is Builder. We build models, we complete models, we display and appreciate our finished models. 

The second is Collector. We purchase new kits. We purchase used kits. We add to the stash. We admire the stacks of unbuilt kits we have, convinced that we WILL get them built. 

I'm no so good at the first one, but I'm really good at the second one!

• Like 4

I've never bought a kit I didn't intend to build, or at least pirate parts from to build something else, but reality has had a serious negative effect on my ability to accomplish much of anything not work-or-sundry-other-complicated-problem-related for a while now.

My acquisitions are vastly outpacing my hobby-bench time...but they allow me to enjoy at least one part of the hobby until I get certain complex aspects of my life sorted...or until the world ends, or until I just fall off my perch.   B)

• Like 1

I've seen sellers at car shows turn white when someone shells out a lot of cabbage for an old sealed kit and stand right there and open it up! 

I have done that myself a couple times had one guy offer me more to buy it back when I said I was going to build the kit he sold me.

1 hour ago, OldTrucker said:

I've seen sellers at car shows turn white when someone shells out a lot of cabbage for an old sealed kit and stand right there and open it up! 

I have done that myself a couple times had one guy offer me more to buy it back when I said I was going to build the kit he sold me.

They sold the kit so what do they care.  It’s one reason I always buy glue bombs of rare kit when I can because collector prices for sealed or unbuilt kits can be ridiculous.

Years ago Chrysler company had a bumper sticker for their workers that said 'I buy what I build'. I cut it up and made it say 'I build what I buy'.

Had a hobby friend who had the mantra of buying three of the same kit. One to build, one to speculate, and one to hoard and did he hoard, left his family a nightmare.

I've always said a bag of modeling clay is just that until the artist changes it into a piece of art.

Build what you buy that's what the hobby is about.

greg

• Like 2

I don't buy anything without either intending to build it or to use it as a donor to build something. For a long time I did try to protect the value of what I had though, so I didn't mix parts or anything until I was ready to build whatever it was. Recently though, I've been running short on space so I've been combining all the parts of a project into a "kit" of sorts so I can store or dispose of the unwanted parts.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Since a Mike started this thread, I figured this Mike would chime fwiw.  Since my building has drastically slowed down and with all the stuff in my stash I'm guessing I'm more of a collector now😄

I am a builder. I am 72 if I were to complete one build a month, I would be 82. I have been trying just build what I have and use the rattle cans that have. I have stopped buying now that kits are over $30.00. Even with Hobby Lobby's 40% off there is not a great selection. I swear they have been selling the AMT 1968 Shelby GT 500 Mustang for at least 15 years now.

The average kit at the show by me has been $15.00. I am going to the next one and see what the average is. Just thinking, do I get a couple of tables and low-ball the price to $10.00 just to get rid of them? Maybe now $15.00 is a low-ball price. 

Not only the kits what about the builds? Would anyone appreciate the skill involved in building a model?

In my will should I request an extra-large coffin so I can be buried with all of my kits and builds? Maybe just cremate them all.

Lastly, I saw an ad for a $160.00 Alpha kit in the magazine. Kudos to anyone who buys one.

I like to ask questions and get other people's opinions before I chime in with mine.

Thanks to all for your comments.

Mike

I buy to build like many others.

But, I have reconciled myself to that thought that I am 99% collector now, not a builder.

They keep coming home home with me, but a kit a month, rather than the 4 or 5 a month that I used to buy.

• Like 1

I collect to build, I build to add to the collection. I went through a stage where I was buying kits that I built as a kid just so I could “build it better” with my improved skills. I have one kit that has illuded me (price wise) for years now. Lately I’ve been on a buying cheap rebuilders kick.

• Like 1

Just now, Ace-Garageguy said:

If I build everything I have, I'll be about 140. Gives me something to live for.   :D

So you’re insinuating that with enough models we could be immortal? 🤔😂

Just like most of you guys, I fall into both categories.  Also like many of you, I stand “0” chance of ever getting them all done.  But it’s going to be fun trying!

I will confess, on VERY rare occasions, I’ve bought kits I knew I’d never crack the seal on.  But it’s such a small percentage of my collection that it doesn’t even really count.  Probably less than 1/2 a percent.  
Like anything else, there are degrees here. 

• Like 1

I'm mainly a collector but I have bought nice builds that needed parts to be complete. I have a huge parts stash that provided the necessary parts. I don't have the skills that members of this forum have. 

• Like 1