Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nostalgia Top Fuel Dragster

Straightliner59

I completed this last Monday, but I was unsatisfied with the "glamour" shots I took at the time. I spent several days trying to find the posters I use for a backdrop to shoot on. I couldn't imagine what I'd done with them. This apartment is small, and I had looked everywhere those things could possibly have been! Except one. I looked there, earlier this evening, and shot a huge batch of photos. These are somewhat better than the previous session's results, so, here she is, in all her glory. I am very happy with this model! 

The result, here, is pretty true to the vision I had, for it, back in 1997, when I first began work on it. I got it fairly along--the chassis was built, the first body was built; I had begun work on the cockpit and driveline details, when I began to doubt my confidence in being able to complete it. I likely had the skills to do it, I just didn't believe that I had those skills, so it got shelved, until November of 2022. At that time, I knew it was time. Roughly 14 months later, I submit these photos of my proudest achievement, to date. Thanks to everyone who followed along on the construction thread:

And, thanks for looking!

DSC_0032cr.jpg

DSC_0072cr.jpg

DSC_0080cr.jpg

DSC_0081cr.jpg

DSC_0103cr.jpg

DSC_0105pe.jpg

DSC_0119cr.jpg

DSC_0124cr.jpg

DSC_0132cr.jpg

DSC_0134cr.jpg

DSC_0141cr.jpg

DSC_0154cr.jpg

DSC_0159cr.jpg

DSC_0171cr.jpg

DSC_0181cr.jpg

DSC_0188cr.jpg

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Ulf said:

Amazing, you can really feel the smell and vibrations. 

Thank you, Ulf. I appreciate that! 

20 hours ago, Mittagskind said:

I'm not a fan of these kind of cars, but this build is amazing.

Thanks, Hanjo. I'll consider this an extra-complimentary post. It's much appreciated!

17 hours ago, Zippi said:

That turned out Super nice Daniel.  Lots of nice detail work.  Just one fine looking Top Fuel Dragster.  

Thank you, Bob! It really is almost how I envisioned it, way back when! I'm very happy with it!

4 hours ago, Hmann68 said:

Beautiful! Super detailing 👍

Thanks, Christopher!

• Like 1

Daniel, this is such a joy to see you reach the end of such a long journey. This build is the culmination of massive research, deep understanding of inner workings of a top fuel dragster, immense skill and even greater patience. I am completely blown away. best build I have ever seen.

17 hours ago, M W Elky said:

Wow you did some amazing detail work . It’s so cool that you built a modern day sling shot I really like it 

I appreciate that, Michael. Thank you. I've always thought the NTF cars were way cool! 

16 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

Daniel, this is such a joy to see you reach the end of such a long journey. This build is the culmination of massive research, deep understanding of inner workings of a top fuel dragster, immense skill and even greater patience. I am completely blown away. best build I have ever seen.

Thank you, Pierre. That is very kind of you to say! It's also helped to know some folks over the years who are nitro racers, who've helped, immensely, with their knowledge. 

13 hours ago, Force said:

Nice work.

Thank you, Hakan! 

5 hours ago, PappyD340 said:

Awesome build!

Thanks!

5 hours ago, 6bblbird said:

Astounding! You should be very proud of that build!

WF

Thanks, Walt! I really am happy with it. The reception it's received has been humbling and thrilling, at the same time.

3 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Wow... very nice 

Thanks, sir!

17 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Wow! Looks killer! So awesome to see it at the finish line! 

Let's mix some fuel! 

Let's do it! Thanks, Jesse. Yeah it's been a long time coming! I've been just futzing around in the shop, waiting to see what grabs me, next I have a few directions I could go, one of which is my Surfers project. If I remember correctly, the chassis is done, except for tabs and stuff, and it's been "Riceman Approved", so, maybe...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

Let's do it! Thanks, Jesse. Yeah it's been a long time coming! I've been just futzing around in the shop, waiting to see what grabs me, next I have a few directions I could go, one of which is my Surfers project. If I remember correctly, the chassis is done, except for tabs and stuff, and it's been "Riceman Approved", so, maybe...

The Riceman Seal of Approval is a good thing to  have! Get it done! 

18 hours ago, shoopdog said:

Awesome work!

Thanks, Keith!

4 hours ago, Bainford said:

Daniel, that is simply a spectacular model. A masterpiece. The fine intricate details, the finishes, the cleanliness. Outstanding craftsmanship! The result certainly justifies the long journey. 

I appreciate your kind words, Trevor. It turned out to be quite a satisfying journey! Thank you, sir!

I know you are an exceptional builder Daniel and have built many great models but you have certainly outdone yourself with this one. 👌  Without hesitation I can say that this is my favorite and I know that you put your all into every aspect of the build.  It's always a little sad to close the last chapter of a long build like this but the experience gained will be used for future projects and I'm sure there will be another! 😊

15 hours ago, AmericanMuscleFan said:

I know you are an exceptional builder Daniel and have built many great models but you have certainly outdone yourself with this one. 👌  Without hesitation I can say that this is my favorite and I know that you put your all into every aspect of the build.  It's always a little sad to close the last chapter of a long build like this but the experience gained will be used for future projects and I'm sure there will be another! 😊

Your kind words and your encouragement have meant so much to me, throughout the completion of this project, and indeed, throughout our friendship! Thanks so much, Francis! You're right--I've been feeling a touch of sadness, along with the pride of knowing that I have, indeed, produced my best effort, to date. But, each one is a stepping stone toward the next one! I think my next will be something a tad simpler, and quicker. I have a couple of possibilities I am considering. Whatever is next, it's likely to be followed by the Surfers' dragster I have always wanted to do. The chassis is already built, so...

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr.jpg

DSC_0014cr.jpg

14 hours ago, Rattlecan Dan said:

Oh Yeah! What a Showstopper that is! Without a doubt one of the finest rails, I've ever seen built. Thanks for persevering and letting us share in the accomplishment. You'll get nicknames, accolades and a parade no doubt. 

Thank you, Dan! Well, it's certainly the finest one I have ever built--and I'm a little surprised by how happy I am with it. There's only one thing I'm disappointed by, and it's something that happened late in its construction, and I didn't catch it until there wasn't anything feasible I could have done about it. I dropped the car, from just above the level of the bench. I thought I had repaired what little damage I found--the blower manifold and the puke tank came loose (at least I know the blower restraints work!😂). Later, when I put the cowl on the car, I discovered that the motor plate had moved forward, ever so slightly, out from under the cowl. Oh, well. It's not a huge distraction! Thanks again, sir!

Hi Sir!

Museum quality work, bravo!

I'm curious: what exactly is the lettering on the cowl? Is-this a fantasy racing team? If such, I suspect some of the members are very well known...

Your panel paintwork and "goldleaf" lettering is very convincing! 

Thanks for sharing!

CT