Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mercedes-Benz 450 SLC 5.0 (Esci/Italeri, 1/24 scale)

Tommy124

Hi there,

I built the Italeri re-issue of this old Esci kit.

I did not find any images of the road-going version, only of the Bandama Rallye version. Now I know why... 

I'm not one to blame everything on the kit, but this one really is sort of bad. The whole chassis is a joke. If you build it and attach the wheels as designed, it will look like someone stepped onto it. So I concentrated on fixing these issues and basically made a primitive curbside kit of it. The engine is not worth building either so I skipped that too.

Painted with Tamiya TS-21 and gun metal on the lower part of the boday. I added the lower chrome trim using Evergreen strips. The exhaust has been made using aluminium tube. I also used aftermarket metal sticker emblems.

IMG_1270.thumb.JPG.f09ca5742083a06763338e6c3a9cee1c.JPG

IMG_1258.thumb.JPG.ae9c4daca8af8b707fccbc76e8cc3834.JPG

IMG_1260.thumb.JPG.1f8340c508df93a649e1dfdee02567ec.JPG

IMG_1262.thumb.JPG.0b94437acc247e3f84bd82bbdabb0bac.JPG

IMG_1263.thumb.JPG.a6754acbe3d620317be0b8d20f98b57a.JPG

IMG_1264.thumb.JPG.869b9209ccd904691812af1d9b9168f5.JPG

IMG_1266.thumb.JPG.7f987660505bf42ac880bccdedc2020c.JPG

IMG_1267.thumb.JPG.6f26e5daca2b6101641525ff505c2545.JPG

IMG_1268.thumb.JPG.234698232cb96f81ad11580a0052f79b.JPG

• Like 11

The body finishes look great, and the body trim looks very cleanly done. What scale is this kit? I built on of these several years ago, didn't look this good, that was a 1/12th scale. 

Very nicely done, certainly has the look of the 1:1.

I have one to do someday, so it was helpful to read your comments. I think mine is missing its chassis, but perhaps I'm not missing much and I'll just make it look right on a spare one off something else.

2 hours ago, espo said:

What scale is this kit?

1/24.

• Thanks 1

You definitely did a great job on this Mercedes. Probably the best looking 450 I have seen. I had a 450Sl for a years but never really warmed up to it. It just was not my sort of car. That being said I was given a 1/12 Doyusha 450SLC kit I might convert to a 450SL someday. 

Many thanks for your kind words!

15 hours ago, Phildaupho said:

You definitely did a great job on this Mercedes. Probably the best looking 450 I have seen. I had a 450Sl for a years but never really warmed up to it. It just was not my sort of car. That being said I was given a 1/12 Doyusha 450SLC kit I might convert to a 450SL someday. 

Sounds interesting. You might aswell sell the 1/12 Doyusha for a lot of money and buy several better kits off that. 🤓

Looks like your efforts paid off, I think it looks great! I picked up one of these in a bag for $10.00 at a recent show. It had been stripped of all paint & put in a zip-lock. I really liked the body lines, but after really looking at everything, I was less than impressed. I ended up trading it away.

7 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Many thanks for your kind words!

Sounds interesting. You might aswell sell the 1/12 Doyusha for a lot of money and buy several better kits off that. 🤓

Thanks Thomas - I just checked out your gallery. Fantastic collection of models. I have never gotten into selling kits I might never build. Maybe I should. The additional cost of shipping has discouraged me from coming up with an appropriate selling price.

Thomas,  your model came out great!  Also, superb job on the BMF.

I have couple of those kits to be built and I just hate the kit's tires. Their tread that looks like it belongs on a truck. The wheels scale out to only around 13" too.  But they look pretty darn good in your photos.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 2:15 AM, peteski said:

Thomas,  your model came out great!  Also, superb job on the BMF.

I have couple of those kits to be built and I just hate the kit's tires. Their tread that looks like it belongs on a truck. The wheels scale out to only around 13" too.  But they look pretty darn good in your photos.

Many thanks Peter. I agree 100% on your opinion regarding the tyres/ wheels. But I had to use them, as I did not find a suitable replacement in my parts box. Scale Production have these "Barock" rims on sale, but they are available in 17" only and I did not want a restomod look.

https://www.scaleproduction.de/product_info.php?info=p2477_17--mercedes-barock.html