Model Cars Magazine Forum

So we have the 71 Demon and 68 Coronet Hdtp kits coming out; what's next that will knock our socks off?

I'm thinking it will be something totally off our radar right now.

Steve G and the Kats seem to save the real surprises for kits/subjects that nobody saw coming.

Whatever the "Next Big Reveal" is, my bet is that it is something nobody expects.

My nominations: MPC '81 Chevette, MPC '87? Cavalier, MPC Mako-Shark II, MPC Cosma-Ray Corvette, MPC Vette-Van, AMT AMC Matador (stock interior and AMT/X custom option), ERTL International F-2575 and F-2674 and 4270 trucks, ERTL John-Deere backhoe, MPC '68-'69 Impala, MPC Pro-Stock Pintos (with stock building option), MPC Pro-Stock Mustang II, MPC '74 Charger. That's it for now; it is 1:45am here....  :)

• Like 2

Wait, wait!! Didn't they'd recently done a 1/18 diecast "Blues-Mobile" 1974 Dodge Monaco police? So......

Also voting for a modified reissue of their 1969 Oldsmoblle 442 into a 1968.

What about a reissue of the MPC 1/20 "Altered T" AA/FA dragster?

• Like 1

How about a 70-71 Dodge Dart

Otherwise I Cant say Ive really got much on my radar . except maybe an early Dodge Truck

The 68 Coronet  and Demon are 2 I never expected to see again. So Im good

A 67 Cougar might catch my interest though as I used to own one

If none of the above materialize. Im good. I have MORE than enough to keep me busy till the end of my days. 

Edited by gtx6970
  • Like 2

There is at least one project under consideration there that is not in any of the above guesses.  Now as to whether any of those mentioned in the posts above are also on their short to mid-term radar screen, just one that I am aware of, but there's lots under way there that i do not have a clue about, so i guess just about anything is possible.  Only thing I do know for sure is that if you like what you've seen over the last two years, and we all keep buying the "cloned" kits, there is a bunch more styrene car and truck kits under consideration there....TB   

• Like 1

Seeing as the "Mach Won" funnycar is being reissued soon, which has a bone stock body, I wouldn't be surprised to see the stock '70 Mustang Mach1 follow reasonably soon.

BUT, I'd say a '67/'68 Cougar would be a logical new clone. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Seeing as the "Mach Won" funnycar is being reissued soon, which has a bone stock body, I wouldn't be surprised to see the stock '70 Mustang Mach1 follow reasonably soon.

BUT, I'd say a '67/'68 Cougar would be a logical new clone. 

I'd love a '67/68 Cougar clone.  The MPC '70 Cougar ht and convertible or '70/71 Mercury Cyclone would be great... For something all-new and never done before, I'd love to see a '68-69 Mercury Cyclone.  Never kitted, and never seen in the resin and 3D print world...not going to happen, but would be nice. 

4 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

How about a 70-71 Dodge Dart

I would just die if a 1970-1971 Swinger [340] were to come around ! Arrrg ! So many possibilities - a car which has never been modelled in stock guise 

Icing on the cake ? 1971 or 1972 Swinger Special 340 ! Heck the 1972 grille and interior could find their way into the Demon kit, hein ?

Over the past 5-6 years, I've tracked down many of my old MPC grails, through sacred sealed and open originals, decent builtups, tragic gluebombs, dusty promos, and especially, Round 2's loving acts of God.

There still remain a few highly elusive MPC gems I would love love love to get my hands on:

x1.jpg

x2.jpg

x3.jpg

1 hour ago, Stef said:

Over the past 5-6 years, I've tracked down many of my old MPC grails, through sacred sealed and open originals, decent builtups, tragic gluebombs, dusty promos, and especially, Round 2's loving acts of God.

There still remain a few highly elusive MPC gems I would love love love to get my hands on:

x1.jpg

x2.jpg

x3.jpg

You have two of my Grail's there, Stef!

The Barracuda and the Super Charger!

That Super Charger is a kit I built in 1985, and would love to have again.

I need to track one down, and just pony up the money.

I have the ProStreet Barracuda in that exact box, but it is a vintage 1980's survivor, and the body is toast. The "A" Pillars are both broken and now missing pieces. So, the kits is battered but 85% complete, but the body and decals are ruined.

Again, I need to track one down, and just buy it.

Thanks for sharing these.
I should buy them both soon, in order to guarantee will release them next year! LOL

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

You have two of my Grail's there, Stef!

The Barracuda and the Super Charger!

That Super Charger is a kit I built in 1985, and would love to have again.

I need to track one down, and just pony up the money.

I have the ProStreet Barracuda in that exact box, but it is a vintage 1980's survivor, and the body is toast. The "A" Pillars are both broken and now missing pieces. So, the kits is battered but 85% complete, but the body and decals are ruined.

Again, I need to track one down, and just buy it.

Thanks for sharing these.
I should buy them both soon, in order to guarantee will release them next year! LOL

The Barracuda was last released as a curbside (promo and Craftsman-style kit). It would be nice to have it back, but rather than a straight-up clone of the old MPC kit, thought should REALLY be given to at least reshaping the front inner fenders, and creating an engine that will look better than what the old MPC kits had. 

Sticking to the same basic look of the original chassis and engines might have been acceptable with the Coronet and Demon, but these were greater weaknesses for the Barracuda tool. I believe that Round 2 could work up something for the Barracuda tool that can both capture the “annual-style build experience” and also be better in the details than the old Annuals were. For instance, basing the inner fender shapes on what they have in the AMT ‘70 Challenger, and creating a new Hemi engine that looks more like the one in their ‘68 Road Runner kit. 

I am sure they would work on the body (bad headlight buckets, missing front turn signal lenses), as the body on the Demon was a vast improvement over the old annnual. 

Bringing the Super Charger back with such improvements would also be great. While they are at it, they could come up with another body tool for a SE model. 

• Like 1