Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped 36 roadster

jrworden

IMG_22071.thumb.JPG.0a3d0d273f8b1a0355d9d3ef86a0432a.JPGA 36 5 window coupe converted to chopped roadster. Vintage Cal Custom candy blue lacquer. Door cut and posed open hood. Hood sides opened up. Flush skirts.IMG_22041.thumb.JPG.54aea8165e1e8d74a4b46028f2b87124.JPGIMG_22021.thumb.JPG.607977e9bd8f579bb59079e81339e9be.JPGIMG_22031.thumb.JPG.ae7b86a8d21a88021e9aa0112ebece79.JPGIMG_22001.thumb.JPG.2135b382df40a95c4a9851ccb34eb74b.JPG

Edited by jrworden
mistake
  • Like 15

Beautiful looking paint color and finish. The wide whites and hub cap combination sets the era of the overall look. Like how you positioned the open hood and doors to show the engine and interior detailing. 

• Like 1

Cool cruiser there John, colour combo and stance are perfect. That cloth interior is awesome and I really like the way you did the bumpers. Well done and thanks for sharing. 

Cheers, 

David. 😎👍

• Like 1

As the others have said this is a most excellent build, really love your choice of color. That seat is what caught my attention most, what did you use to cover it with? It looks so much like a 1:1 custom interior. Many thanks for sharing this one.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stevez said:

What kit and extras did you use?

The car is based on a 36 5 window kit. Early in the work I noticed that I had roadster parts left from roadsters built as a kid. I used the cowl and door tops, top and windshield, and thought oh heck, why not open the door since I had one. Opening the door meant lowering the floor and seat to a realistic level. Kick me if I mention flush skirts again. Surprisingly, serious surgery had to be done in order to properly fit the Pontiac V8. 1:1 4 piece hoods can be a pain to fit and this was no different. The wheel covers are probably 60s Ford and the tires are from a parts pack. The bumpers are sliced and diced 36. To cover the seats I used lens cleaning cloth from an optometrist.  It is just stretchy enough to lay down on the contours and the gathered wrinkles are hidden from view. The piping is black thread. The floor and seat bolster fabric came from my wife's sewing room. Rattle can white lacquer was used on the top and running boards. The 60s vintage Cal Custom candy blue lacquer is special in that it contains caster bean oil and coconut resin. 

Thanks for asking. 

Thank you all for the compliments.   John

Edited by jrworden
  • Like 1