Model Cars Magazine Forum

77 Pontiac Grand Prix

I was participating on a live model car kit reveiw tonight.  A 77 Pontiac Grand Prix model kit subject was mentioned.  There was no more news or details about it. Just something that was heard. Could be just a rumour.  Anyone hear or read anything about this?  

Know that would make an interesting subject . I don’t know how well it would sell as a drag car only builder I wouldn’t be in for any, but it could be a big hit for the low rider builders along with replica stock

I would love to build one of these big Pontiacs, stock, or otherwise.

Wiki says both 77 Monte and 77 Grand Prix shared 116" wheelbase, A-body "Special".

Perhaps Revellogram could leverage their 77 Monte Carlo tooling to create a simplified kit.

I've not looked into resin or 3D kits.

Did the 77 Grand Prix ever run in NASCAR? I'm not seeing any pictures.

Salvinos had/has the smaller 81-84 Pontiac LeMans.

And I have AMT's Petty 84 Grand Prix in 1/16 scale.

Hope this helps, thanks.

2 hours ago, PintoKING said:

Back in the mid 1970's, Lindberg did a few 1/32 kits, very crude kits. Among them a Grand-Prix:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/lindberg-2113-pontiac-grand-prix--1148716

I wonder if those old kits are with Atlantis now.

That kit was produced at recently as 1997 by what would have been the Craft House ownership of Lindberg. So unless Round2 sold those molds as part of their old junk clean out they did to Atlantis that stuff should still be with them.

I own a '77 Grand Prix SJ, and would buy a couple kits FOR SURE..

Also, from the introduction of the Grand Prix in 1962, alllllll the way until they quit producing them, the 1977 model year was the highest selling of them all..

You'd think plenty of people would buy a '77 kit..

Not to mention that the '77 GP is arguably the best looking of all of the GM '73-77 A-Body Collonade cars..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stef said:

Wiki says both 77 Monte and 77 Grand Prix shared 116" wheelbase, A-body "Special".

Perhaps Revellogram could leverage their 77 Monte Carlo tooling to create a simplified kit.

Hope this helps, thanks.

I think the nascar GM teams of that era ran Monte Carlo’s and Oldsmobiles 

• Like 1

Sharp build These were such good looking cars, IMO.  I know there is a 3D printed '77 available (I have a '73 3D printed kit),  but a regular kit would be great.  Also the '76-77 Cutlass Supreme which was a good looking and very popular car when I was a kid..

• Like 1

In-my-opinion (worth very little) a '73 would be much better. Cleaner look and no big bumpers. The front of the '77 is downright ugly to me.

Now if someone were planning a '70's GM, I think (again, worthless opinion) a '73 Grand Am would be a much better choice to attract more builders.

image.png.0e059a74dddd4712540fff1888720d52.png

image.png.58f59a9e4998ece41a36c03106ab76ea.png

• Like 7

Funny that the car had integrated bumper in the early '70s, then the 5MPH bumpers were mandated, so "steel rams" were tacked onto pretty much all cars, and yet contemporary calls all have integrated bumpers.  Like the adage goes, what's old is new again.

I agree that the '73 GP looks better than the '77 GP, but I think the '76 Regal or Century Custom Coupe looks even better and so does the '73 442.  The point is that the 1973-1977 GM intermediates are sorely missing, and so are Rancheros. 

image.png.9e14d1ac98142f75444c6face4c2faf6.pngimage.png.6883ab963a41fbe83be3d9f993add96e.pngimage.png.28e68715f165771fb51e347ce20ffdf0.png

• Like 2

On 2/22/2024 at 8:45 PM, Stef said:

Hope this helps, thanks.

Hoss Ellington and Terry Link tried both the Grand Prix and Can AM around 1977-78, Ellington actually withdrew the GP for a Cutlass at Daytona that year. FB_IMG_1587342886318.jpg.8e451a09bfe8ef029d31bd10fecfd137.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 2/22/2024 at 10:45 PM, Stef said:

Hope this helps, thanks.

I'm thinking the same thing as you stated about Monogram leveraging their 77 Monte Carlo to create a 77 Grand Prix.  This would be the most likely and logical move if Revellogram were to do a 77 Grand Prix kit.   I doubt any of the other kit manufacturers would do this subject matter.  Who knows what will happen in the fiture.

Edited by GMP440
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2024 at 9:45 PM, Stef said:

21 hours ago, GMP440 said:

I'm thinking the same thing as you stated about Monogram leveraging their 77 Monte Carlo to create a 77 Grand Prix.  This would be the most likely and logical move if Revellogram were to do a 77 Grand Prix kit.   I doubt any of the other kit manufacturers would do this subject matter.  Who knows what will happen in the fiture.

Sorry to say there really wouldn't be much to leverage from the Monte for a Grand Prix.  About the only thing could be the chassis, which is prototypically incorrect for a 1:1 '77, along with its goofy multi-position suspension.  Possibly the window unit, but the GP quarter windows are larger, so I'm not even sure if that could be used.

Even if Revell were to do a GP, it would probably be more efficient to just tool a new curbside-type chassis and window unit to go with everything else new, just so they could avoid having to mix and match components from different sets of tooling.

Except for the roof skin, all other external sheetmetal is different between the two.  Nothing from the Monte interior could be used either.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see a '77 GP kit. (Truthfully, I would love to see ANY new '73-'77 A-body in styrene). However, the reality is that there's at least a hundred other kit subjects that are more likely to get kitted than a '77 GP.

• Like 2

On 3/1/2024 at 1:20 AM, slusher said:

I would like too see a 76/77 Grand Prix model come back..

6 hours ago, mikos said:

Me too!

Um, guys, where would it come back from?

No '76/'77 Grand Prix model was ever made.

• Like 1

I would love to see a 77 GP too. A shipmate when I was in the Navy had one and painted it metallic black with a bright gold laundau top and gold wheels. It actually looked pretty sharp. Unfortunately, it was stolen off of the Navy base in San Diego less than a month after he had it painted. Probably ran straight to Tijuana never to be seen again.

I do have a really rough 1:25 resin copy of a 77 Can Am that I will likely not touch until I retire.