Model Cars Magazine Forum

Round 2 Can We See The Chevette and stock Vega Again?

Many years ago there was a rumor that the MPC Chevette and Vega tooling were still around somewhere. Has anyone heard whether they actually are? I've been watching eBay for a while, but the originals always go for more than I can justify.

I never thought I would see the stock Datsun truck or the Toyota Supra kit again and when they came out again, I bought several of them. Surely there are some other old tools that could be reissued.

There are a couple of those MPC kits I wouldn't mind having back, especially in white styrene. Cars like the Chevette, Cavalier, and EXP would be appreciated. Get rid of the glass-eating Radial T/A's, and it would be even better!

I have rounded up most of the remains of the Chevette I gluebombed as a child.  I wouldn't mind seeing it reissued again, but if it's without the rally extras I'm not sure I'd want to pay today's price for a relatively small kit.  🙂  Mine came with two figures, which I still have.  Unfortunately they really don't measure up to today's standards. 

Has anyone built all the world's variations of what we call the Chevette?  That could be a fascinating table display.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Brian Austin said:

I have rounded up most of the remains of the Chevette I gluebombed as a child.  I wouldn't mind seeing it reissued again, but if it's without the rally extras I'm not sure I'd want to pay today's price for a relatively small kit.  🙂  Mine came with two figures, which I still have.  Unfortunately they really don't measure up to today's standards. 

Has anyone built all the world's variations of what we call the Chevette?  That could be a fascinating table display.

not models but heres a rough guide to different variations but it missed out a few.   https://www.streetmachine.com.au/features/geminis-from-around-the-world

On 3/1/2024 at 2:58 PM, Dragonhawk1066 said:

The Chevette would be worth it for almost the diorama parts alone!

Those Diorama Parts would make a nice accessory in a lot of the Re-released MPC kits.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2024 at 7:02 PM, Brian Austin said:

Here's one of the rally figures from the Chevette kit.  There was also an awkwardly-posed standing figure as well.  Note the crude hands.

MicroTrains3crop.jpg.f00c5f7153e729c9e23348f19ad77098.jpg

Crude or not, it would still be nice to have him and his partner back.

5 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

A long time ago a friend in the Navy bought an old Chevette and stuck a built 454 in it. The first time he hit the gas it just spun the tires. He hacked the rear wheel wells and put some big slicks on the back. He hit the gas this time and it hooked up too well. The chassis was warped bad enough one of the front tires wouldn't quite touch the ground. Probably should have beefed it up and maybe fixed some of the rust first.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, stavanzer said:

Crude or not, it would still be nice to have him and his partner back.

I won't disagree with this.  I was just picturing future complaints.  🙂

I recall a toolbox and a folding table.  What else was there besides the standing figure?

I'm planning to do a Cosworth Vega--have been, for years. I have a couple of '75 promos, for the body. I have plenty of reference for the engine, so I can scratch that. The script on the cam cover will be tricky. I may have to find someone who'll 3-d print it, for me. Same with the wheels, although, I could do a day two car with gold tinged Minilites. AMT's Monza should provide the undercarriage. Anyway, I would not mind seeing a new (reworked) Vega kit.

18 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

That one is a classic, I was thinking more shiny red with wheel tubs so big you can just put an oil bottle between them. Preferably I would put in a 1/24 engine 🙂 .

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I'm planning to do a Cosworth Vega--have been, for years. I have a couple of '75 promos, for the body. I have plenty of reference for the engine, so I can scratch that. The script on the cam cover will be tricky. I may have to find someone who'll 3-d print it, for me. Same with the wheels, although, I could do a day two car with gold tinged Minilites. AMT's Monza should provide the undercarriage. Anyway, I would not mind seeing a new (reworked) Vega kit.

You can get the Cosworth Vega engine and wheels from Canuck 3D, in the USA it would be through Geroge  Bojaciuk (who posts on this forum).  I have those parts and they are excellent quality.  Got the decals from Keith Marks (I believe).  This is the base kit I'm using

SAM_4396.JPG

• Like 1