Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Slow Death of a Ferrari 250 GT SWB

SDC

I received this cracked and busted, missing a few parts, AMT Ferrari in a trade a while back.  It had been sitting around for a while and I had been thinking I could try to make a diorama with it.  I’ve never created a diorama or tried to weather a model before, so I learned quite a bit along the way and had fun doing it, so I think that means it was a success!

It's a Ferrari 250 GT SWB that has seen better days.  While it was once a promising project car, it now sits weathered and faded by time as the earth begins to slowly embrace it as a long-lost Italian son.

The base is an 8x10 gesso board and the bulk of the weathering was trial and error made with a variety of acrylic browns that I also periodically dusted with some dry pastels from Hobby Lobby.  I printed the cinder blocks and burn barrel in PLA, and the crates and shovel in resin.  The tools are from the Fujimi Garage kit.  The fence, weeds, and dying shrubs were handmade using static grass, twine, and craft sticks.  The tarps were created from one-ply hand towels dipped in a solution of water, glue, and blue alcohol ink before being shaped.  The dead leaves are dried and crumbled tea leaves, and the soil texture is a mix of recycled coffee grounds and sand which was painted with craft paint and stained with brown alcohol ink.

Finally, thanks to Pierre Rivard for the suggestion to hide the bulbous rear end.  It's got quite the caboose so I tried to angle it hide it under the tarp best I could.  

P1060114.JPG.2d556732715fbf4eca0f1465f81749ff.JPG

P1060115.JPG.9fa9ff71428f49144e5d3fff9123aad6.JPG

P1060116.JPG.44eb189fd7a916e1518935b2fdee9bac.JPG

P1060120.JPG.56d43e795634feefc7219cad73c821dd.JPG

P1060124.JPG.8196ab264d7369239f416c33de3a36e9.JPG

P1060125.JPG.68bdadd1d4230bb316176163221a9d53.JPG

P1060126.JPG.3d00fda3416980fc230f1df1b472307b.JPG

• Like 3

Wow that is fantastic Shawn! And even more so this being your first time at weathering and creating a diorama! I have yet to do either one but someday I hope to try it. Great job! Love the beat up wheel covers on the fence and the milk crates too!

Definitely a fine piece of artistic work. Its hard to look at a dying Ferrari, but I am sure there are some somewhere. You have captured the feel very nicely. Plenty of details to keep my attention.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, this community has been very helpful as I try to find my way as a new model builder.

I had a great time working on it!

I am impressed with this diorama of yours Shawn, and what makes it special is that this project is your first diorama, and your first experience of weathering. I am well aware that weathering is a difficult skill to get right, so your results are really good . . .

David

Thanks Gary and Helmut and David!

On 3/7/2024 at 6:55 PM, Anglia105E said:

I am impressed with this diorama of yours Shawn, and what makes it special is that this project is your first diorama, and your first experience of weathering. I am well aware that weathering is a difficult skill to get right, so your results are really good . . .

I felt pretty good about it, I think mainly because it was my first, I suppose you always remember your first, LOL.

I had NEVER considered weathering anything as part of model building until I decided I wanted to actually start building models.  I guess, like many who don't build them, I figured it was a bit of glue and paint and that was it.  I stumbled into some weathering videos while searching for other things and was really impressed with how some guys can really capture a scene, emotion, etc., so I kept watching them and got the itch to try it.

I think box stock is still what I am drawn to most though, since I am trying to get better at basics, but I really did enjoy the creative freedom with the weathering aspect.

Wow Shawn. How hou have used the AMT Ferrari SWB and integrated it into the diorama is masterful as all the good parts of the body are there to see and the not so good parts (the butt!) are smartly covered. The fabrication of the diorama, the creative use of materials, the finishes, textures and weathering would indicate expertise and experience... yet this is your first weathered car and diorama?

Blown away!

13 hours ago, Pierre Rivard said:

the good parts of the body are there to see and the not so good parts (the butt!) are smartly covered

Thanks for your kind words Pierre.

I had read through your information regarding some of the versions of the kit, and I also recalled your advise in a previous question of mine; so thanks for leading me down a good path to position it well.  I wasn't sure how it would turn out, but I knew I'd need to hide the bulbous rear end no matter what.  LOL.