Model Cars Magazine Forum

As usual, a few idiot jerks ruin things for everyone else...

What is it... maybe people are not used to RWD cars or the horsepower? I have a Mustang with the Ecoboost 2.3 liter, good for around 320 HP. Really not enough to get me into trouble. You have to be careful around crowds with hotter cars. 

• Like 2

There's a local Chev truck group that has been banned from holding their meets for similar reasons.

A few guys show up and think it's cool to do burnouts and roll coal in the parking lots of these businesses, and then when confronted by the organizers, get all defensive. I have a friend that attended "the final straw" event last summer. When the clowns were asked to behave, they started trying to pick fights, and accused the organizers of all kinds of things. Political affiliations, being in support of communism, sexual preferences, etc. And the cops were called, and the property owners banned the club, who had been using the lot on Friday nights for at least 2 years without incident. And of course, because word spreads in the business community, the club had real trouble finding a new meeting spot, as word got out. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bobss396 said:

What is it... maybe people are not used to RWD cars or the horsepower? I have a Mustang with the Ecoboost 2.3 liter, good for around 320 HP. Really not enough to get me into trouble. You have to be careful around crowds with hotter cars. 

Not everyone needs a fast car, we have to many kids and idiots with absolutely no concern for others on the road. These kids and some grown men buy these fast cars but have zero driving skills and zero ability to make smart decisions. 

Edited by Scott8950
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Scott8950 said:

Not everyone needs a fast car, we have to many kids and idiots with absolutely no concern for others on the road. These kids and some grown men buy these fast cars but have zero driving skills and zero ability to make smart decisions. 

Back at the dawn of time, any track day at Road Atlanta was sure to have at least one Porsche 911 stuffed backwards into a guard rail by a doctor. Not picking on doctors per se, but just because you were smart enough to graduate from med school and go on to make a lot of money, you're not automatically talented or skilled enough to drive seriously fast without practice and/or training...especially in something as unforgiving as an earlyish 911.

But at least it was a controlled environment, with lotsa safety equipment and medical help should it be required, and the only person your stupidity would endanger was yourself.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 4

Part of the problem is pure numbers.  For every McLaren F1 sold there are 20000 modern pony cars sold (Mustang, Challenger, Camaro) Even for the Vette I bet it's 100 to 1 ratio.  Add that idiots can afford modern pony cars and they require no knowledge to own. I don't like banning by car type. We have two 2016 Mustangs, both well over 400hp and we don't do stupid stuff on the street. (we tore the nose off one at a open track day as it was set up to low) Doybt we'd ever attend a C&C event.....but if I wanted to I'll take my Javelin!!!! 

My Javelin at an event at the Greenbrier Resort......no issues at this event!! If you acted up....no invite next year!

JAVELINGREENBRIER.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

High performance cars with low performance drivers = a not good situation

The problem is they can just walk into a dealer and pickup the latest greatest mustang and have no prior car knowledge. That's why when you build your car you have a much better understanding of the effort to get that HP and you have more respect for how to handle the car. These guys annoy me sometimes because they dont have as much respect for their cars. That's also why you didn't hear this kind of stuff when kids built there hot rods back in the day, but I get it the hot rod guys also got in trouble sometimes.

• Like 1

I have been around long enough to remember bumper stickers that said, "Stamp out low performance drivers, not high-performance cars". Looks like things haven't changed much in the meantime. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Part of the problem is pure numbers.  For every McLaren F1 sold there are 20000 modern pony cars sold (Mustang, Challenger, Camaro) Even for the Vette I bet it's 100 to 1 ratio.  Add that idiots can afford modern pony cars and they require no knowledge to own. I don't like banning by car type. We have two 2016 Mustangs, both well over 400hp and we don't do stupid stuff on the street. (we tore the nose off one at a open track day as it was set up to low) Doybt we'd ever attend a C&C event.....but if I wanted to I'll take my Javelin!!!! 

My Javelin at an event at the Greenbrier Resort......no issues at this event!! If you acted up....no invite next year!

JAVELINGREENBRIER.jpg

Big Bad Orange?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FoMoCo66 said:

The problem is they can just walk into a dealer and pickup the latest greatest mustang and have no prior car knowledge.

When the Viper and GTS were released, they made folks who wanted to buy one take a driver's course first! Maybe something like that should be done for cars over a certain horsepower........

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

When the Viper and GTS were released, they made folks who wanted to buy one take a driver's course first! Maybe something like that should be done for cars over a certain horsepower........

Now I know a good idea when I hear one. And that idea sir is GREAT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FoMoCo66 said:

Now I know a good idea when I hear one. And that idea sir is GREAT.

It might be a great idea, but in today's world someone would  complain and kill it.  After all, you can buy a gun and ammo without taking any training, so why would you need it to drive a hot car?    Both guns and cars can be deadly.

It is not about being a good driver - it is about being silly macho guy, and not thinking of consequences. You know? Like begin responsible for your actions.  It's just people being stupid.  You can't fix stupid. Those muscle cars can be driven gently. Nobody (but someone's dumb brain) forces them to step hard on the gas pedal.

Edited by peteski

Buena Park PD officers used to sit at the exit of Fabulous Fords Forever shows at Knott's Berry Farm and would chase and ticket those who felt the need to show off as they departed.

500 horsepower cars, 50 horsepower drivers.

• Like 1

We have a nice weekly show at a church, there have been a few people told not to come back ever. There was an accident out front after I left one week.

Another incident happened at a beach venue, someone got a Corvette smashed up leaving the venue. A couple also was killed last year making a high-speed pass going past the venue after they left. 

I grew up with fast cars and know how to drive and when to stand on the gas and when not to. My old Ford is pushing 425 HP and is fun to drive.

• Like 1

Seems reasonable to ban that stuff to me. I thought the point of Cars & Coffee was to show off unique high end stuff and eclectic classic cars? At least locally that was always what was allowed to park at the actual venue. Kinda loses it's point when any 25 yr old redneck with a Shelby Mustang his daddy bought him can be part of the show. There's enough of that sort of thing at the local county parks on summer weeknights.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Seems reasonable to ban that stuff to me. I thought the point of Cars & Coffee was to show off unique high end stuff and eclectic classic cars? At least locally that was always what was allowed to park at the actual venue. Kinda loses it's point when any 25 yr old redneck with a Shelby Mustang his daddy bought him can be part of the show. There's enough of that sort of thing at the local county parks on summer weeknights.

Makes sense when I went to our local cars and coffee there were a bunch of cobbled up old miatas that looked less than ok. They all had poorly installed wide bodys. The thing is there were only a handful of cool classics cars. I also had to Teach some young guy what a manual fule and water pump were😆.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 7:20 PM, peteski said:

Both guns and cars can be deadly.

So can bow/arrows, crossbows, axes, chainsaws, knives, lawn darts, snow mobiles, motorcycles, ladders, power lines, chain saws, ( ad infinitum ) but that is not the point.

On 3/15/2024 at 7:20 PM, peteski said:

You can't fix stupid.

Or arrogance, and generally no, least not with the nearly pointless punitive fines often handed out to such drivers and that is the point.

Such drivers are prime examples of candidates that would fair well at the Darwin Awards.

cheers, Graham

• Like 1

I went to a Coffee/Cars about 6 years ago when my 85 2.3 Mustang was running and they said I can't be here because all Stangs (others) are banned. I raised the hood to show my mighty 88hp wC-3 auto and said really?......they let me in as I can't do a burn out if I tried, well maybe the one tire if it's wet....LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5