Model Cars Magazine Forum

Pictures&info from Round 2 announcements; detailed looks at '64 Malibu and Charger Police Pursuit...

Posted (edited)

Jonathon, James, and Francis: thanks for your updates/corrections on this subject; much appreciated.  My original post has been updated with a reference to your comments....guess I should have been reading that Charger kit thread after all!  Best...TB

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

The wheels in the picture you took are the AWD specific steel wheels, they're the second wheel option to the AWD dress hubcaps are supposed to be in the box too. The kit itself is still RWD...not a total deal breaker for me as nobody is going to flip the model over and demand to examine the front drivetrain.  Steve mentioned here in the past that they might consider doing a 2nd release that would have the RWD steel wheels & dress hubcaps.

Correct on all, for the record at the time of development those are the Police version wheels FCA sent us the files for, and we had never asked for or got any other AWD components or drivetrain files.  Since the wheels matched the Pursuit brochure they sent with the files, I assumed it was a running change, so I never asked for the other wheels.  Just human error on both sides.

-Steve

• Like 5

Well, there goes my model buying budget. Glad to see the redo of the '64 Chevell with an open hood and engine bay this time. Look forward to building the Nova for old time's sake having owned a '76 SS hatchback.   

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Alan...Steve G. mentioned yesterday that he could see people attempting to adapt the innards from the '65 Elky kit with this new kit's body.  Will be interesting to see who is the first to actually do this.  I was thinking of this in terms of a showroom stock model, but your idea of a drag strip themed build is a very cool one! 

Cheers...TB  

Are those different to the Wagon kit? Don't have the Elky therefore the question TIA.

16 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

Looks like there’s a ‘71 Charger in the mix. That a reissue?

Modified reissue. It's basically the custom kit, which had the Hemi, Ramcharger hood and bazooka exhaust tips, with stock wheels. 

23 hours ago, tim boyd said:

* the second version of the new Bronco tool...the popular Outer Banks trim/content level 

image.png.1743bb1b839673cda41a5f8862768172.png

Why? Why would Round2 choose to bring this one out? The Outer Banks is the most pedestrian looking trim level.

image.jpeg

Should have at least done a trim level that could get the Sasquatch package, so we'd get better wheels/tires. Wildtrak or a Badlands would make more sense to me.

2 hours ago, SteveG said:

Correct on all, for the record at the time of development those are the Police version wheels FCA sent us the files for, and we had never asked for or got any other AWD components or drivetrain files.  Since the wheels matched the Pursuit brochure they sent with the files, I assumed it was a running change, so I never asked for the other wheels.  Just human error on both sides.

-Steve

In Steve's defense - and his employer's - AZ DPS runs a bunch of new Chargers and they all have those drilled wheels with the baby 'baby' center caps. I sincerely doubt Arizona purchased all All-Wheel-Drive Chargers for freeway use; they have a huge fleet of Tahoes, Durangos, and F150 pickups for any off-roading. 

Chrysler has always been notorious for using unpublished or unadvertised combinations for their law enforcement fleets.

The agency I worked for in 1977 had the ventilated hubcaps that Chrysler denied existed but later introduced in 1978. A period-correct replica would have been called unauthentic at the time.  Just one little example. 

• Like 3

Another note:  Chrysler also bows to "He Who Writes the Check."

Large fleets can get just about anything they want. It could be as simple as the check writer at AZDPS liked the look of the drilled wheels better than the big flat blade spoke wheels and specified the AWD wheels on their purchase order.

The older AZDPS Chargers have the older spoke wheels (like Jonathan's example of the swap from the older generation kit), but not the new Chargers. AZDPS may have had experiences with the flat-spoke wheels they didn't enjoy.  I don't know, but I'll ask around. 

Back to my mention of the ventilated hub caps, we had serious brake fade problems and Chrysler rushed the ventilated caps to us as a fix. They later incorporated them into police-spec production.

• Like 1

If you just surf the interweb for Dodge state patrol cars you will see a variety of the wheels on the units. Just OSP (Ohio) picture show three different wheels.

The holed wheels date back to the 80's and I did hear of departments specifying the steel wheel as opposed to the cast wheels with the thought that the steel wheel well not shatter like cast wheels do.

greg

5 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Why? Why would Round2 choose to bring this one out? The Outer Banks is the most pedestrian looking trim level.

image.jpeg

Should have at least done a trim level that could get the Sasquatch package, so we'd get better wheels/tires. Wildtrak or a Badlands would make more sense to me.

Dan...having been out of the loop (no access to sales or distribution reports) for ten years now, I don't have any insider info, but isn't the Outer Banks trim level the bestselling one in the Bronco lineup?  Also, I'd be willing to bet (well, just figuratively) that Round 2 has additional versions of the Bronco planned, possibly along the lines of what you propose...TB

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 4:16 PM, Chris V said:

Thank you very much for the extensive pictorial report on the new items! 

However, what really caught my eye was the red ‘32 Ford Roadster in the very last picture. Has Round2 recovered the tooling inserts for all of the drag parts, including the tonneau cover, from the second issue of the kit? 

Heh Chris....that '32 Roadster was a display piece only, intended to show the functionality of the trailer in the new 1960 F100 kit.  It was built by Mike Kollver, and if one looks closely, they'll see it actually includes a very nicely kitbashed Ardun Ford V8 i/l/o the AMT kit's first gen Hemi....TB

image.png.f3b27c9b2b97bd6b29d610b02381b247.png

• Like 3

4 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

f you just surf the interweb for Dodge state patrol cars you will see a variety of the wheels on the units. Just OSP (Ohio) picture show three different wheels.

The holed wheels date back to the 80's and I did hear of departments specifying the steel wheel as opposed to the cast wheels with the thought that the steel wheel well not shatter like cast wheels do.

greg

Greg....are you the head honcho of the old GLMFAA that used to do those terrific fire apparatus displays at the earlier NNL Nats at Toledo (and I'm guessing you are given your forum name).  If so, great to hear that you are still involved and following the hobby!   Cheers....TIM 

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, drksd4848 said:

Looks like there’s a ‘71 Charger in the mix. That a reissue?

Here are three images from the Fotki album at the link above, showing the box art of the new release....as stated elsewhere in this thread, it is mostly the second street machine themed release of the AMT/Ertl '71 Charger R/T tool from 2001, albeit with a few changes including a different set of wheels/tires.  

image.png.58cf9f4dd5f79d02f081f0cadd87ff5d.png

image.png.c3d9da561588ef68d2b8673c9f85b1da.png

image.png.c4e88665343420c586e88abcffb25fc0.png

As originally designed, the "Street Machine" version of the kit included a replica of an actual 1/1 scale aftermarket upgrade for the "RB" 440 engine, not a true 426 Hemi. I am not familiar enough with that setup to know if it used the RB exhaust manifolds (as illustrated above) or the 426 Hemi exhaust manifolds.  In any case, this kit should give the builder a good head start toward doing a full-on 426 Hemi replica in scale should that be their intent...TB 

PS, my recollection is also that this kit version includes an Air Grabber hood and a very nice set of Mopar's infamous 1971-74 "Bazooka" tailpipe tips (the other version of this tool has the California turn down tips).  TB 

Edited by tim boyd
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

As originally designed, the "Street Machine" version of the [ 1971 Charger R/T ] kit included a replica of an actual 1/1 scale aftermarket upgrade for the "RB" 440 engine, not a true 426 Hemi. I am not familiar enough with that setup to know if it used the RB exhaust manifolds (as illustrated above) or the 426 Hemi exhaust manifolds.  In any case, this kit should give the builder a good head start toward doing a full-on 426 Hemi replica in scale should that be their intent...TB 

PS, my recollection is also that this kit version includes an Air Grabber hood and a very nice set of Mopar's infamous 1971-74 "Bazooka" tailpipe tips (the other version of this tool has the California turn down tips).  TB 

To add a couple of points to @tim boyd's history of the STAGE V , and the mention of the different exhaust between the two versions of the '71 Charger :
- The STAGE V Hemi conversion was also available for the B-Engines (350-361-383-400). I seem to remember that headers intended for the 426 Hemi were required ( 426 Hemi exhaust manifolds were - still are - an expensive item ).
- The turn down exhaust tips ( colloq. "California Exhaust" ) weren't required on every engine option, but are indeed correct for a 440 Magnum / Super Commando equipped 1971 Charger (just as likely, 1968-1970 as well ) . It was what's known as Noise Reduction Package (sales code 'N97'), and it almost always follows sales code 'N95' California Emissions Package. Oftentimes, cars with N95 / N97 are incorrectly restored, their owners adding the bright exhaust tips during the "restoration". 

• Like 1

Greg....are you the head honcho of the old GLMFAA that used to do those terrific fire apparatus displays at the earlier NNL Nats at Toledo (and I'm guessing you are given your forum name).  If so, great to hear that you are still involved and following the hobby!   Cheers....TIM 

Yep it is I, Still in it and retired and have less time for the hobby☹️. For those that might be interested it was Great Lakes Miniature Fire Apparatus Association. Consisted of fire modelers surrounding the Great Lakes including Canada. Competed with FAMBA (Fire Apparatus Model Builders Association) out of East coast corridor. Life got in the way and the club withered away, it was great well it existed.

greg

Here are three images from the Fotki album at the link above, showing the box art of the new release....as stated elsewhere in this thread, it is mostly the second street machine themed release of the AMT/Ertl '71 Charger R/T tool from 2001, albeit with a few changes including a different set of wheels/tires.  

image.png.58cf9f4dd5f79d02f081f0cadd87ff5d.png

image.png.c3d9da561588ef68d2b8673c9f85b1da.png

image.png.c4e88665343420c586e88abcffb25fc0.png

As originally designed, the "Street Machine" version of the kit included a replica of an actual 1/1 scale aftermarket upgrade for the "RB" 440 engine, not a true 426 Hemi. I am not familiar enough with that setup to know if it used the RB exhaust manifolds (as illustrated above) or the 426 Hemi exhaust manifolds.  In any case, this kit should give the builder a good head start toward doing a full-on 426 Hemi replica in scale should that be their intent...TB 

That looks like a REALLY sharp kit! Leave it to Round 2 to do it right! I might have to stockpile that one for the day I actually have room again to build one.

Hmm…. If I’m not mistaken, that model shares a lot of tooling/parts with another mopar of the same year an platform. ;) 😄

Edited by drksd4848

Dan...having been out of the loop (no access to sales or distribution reports) for ten years now, I don't have any insider info, but isn't the Outer Banks trim level the bestselling one in the Bronco lineup?  Also, I'd be willing to bet (well, just figuratively) that Round 2 has additional versions of the Bronco planned, possibly along the lines of what you propose...TB

Outer Banks is definitely popular, but it's also the most bland. It would be like releasing the new Charger kit, but as the V6 SXT version. Yeah, it's popular, but it's just so...meh.

There are so many possibilities for this Bronco platform that the OB is just a weird choice to me.

Ah well, I'm sure it will still sell well.

:)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, iamsuperdan said:

Outer Banks... Ah well, I'm sure it will still sell well.

Agreed 128%. Hope all Bronco variants sell. One thing I'm curious about; most of the IRL Broncos I see are 4-doors. I'm wondering if the 2-door kit variants sell well-enough, Round 2 might come out with 4-door versions? If so, I'd imagine that would require a LOT of new tooling, mostly because of its longer wheelbase. So we'd better show our love and snatch up all the 2-doors we can get our hands on, if we ever want to see A BRONCO RAPTOR!

x.jpg

• Like 1

Well, since some are talking about the diff models, I always thought that the 4 door bronco was the more desirable as well the charger hellcat version, or srt. But at least we got the 3d option that wasn’t available years ago

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Danno said:

In Steve's defense - and his employer's - AZ DPS runs a bunch of new Chargers and they all have those drilled wheels with the baby 'baby' center caps. I sincerely doubt Arizona purchased all All-Wheel-Drive Chargers for freeway use; they have a huge fleet of Tahoes, Durangos, and F150 pickups for any off-roading. 

Come on Dan, you live in Arizona...so you know it snows quite a bit up North, ergo the need for ski resorts.  You wouldn't take a Charger off-road - albeit don't tell that to the Arkansas State Police - regardless of the drivetrain configuration, but AWD Chargers are for winter weather, not running around in OHV Pursuits.  It would make sense for DPS to have AWD Chargers as a standard fleet order so you wouldn't have to worry about where you're assigning them out of fleet maintenance.  Georgia tried to run a split fleet and keep the AWD units North of Atlanta where it snows regularly, and it's been somewhat of a mess trying to keep AWD spares available.  There has always been a limited number of the AWD specific transmissions available per year, and if you didn't order your new cars early enough you didn't get AWD Chargers that year.

Also, earlier AWD Chargers on the older (Pre-2015 facelift) cars didn't have a specific AWD rim.  It was the 2015+ cars that got bigger brakes that necessitated a different rim package than the RWD cars which continued to use the same brake size (and rims) from the 2006+ cars.

22 hours ago, SteveG said:

-Steve

I WISH these steelies were on the majority lol. And now I want to make the Charger awd also🤔 Steve, thanks for your insight again! 

12 hours ago, Pierre_tec said:

Well, since some are talking about the diff models, I always thought that the 4 door bronco was the more desirable as well the charger hellcat version, or srt. But at least we got the 3d option that wasn’t available years ago

Totally agree on Charger. Why go with the RT over the SRT or Hellcat versions?

As for Bronco, the 4dr is definitely more popular.

In fact, here are the stats for 2023 model year.

image.jpeg

Outer Banks hits that sweet spot between features and pricing. 

The top 6 selling models are all 4 doors. And 4 door models made up 86.5% of all Bronco sales in 2023.

So AMT's decision to do the 2dr first still seems odd to me. I like it, I have a handful in my stash, and I'm sure I'll get a few more. But it still seems odd.

• Like 1