Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chopped Model A Tudor Hiboy

This build started with a Jimmy Flintstone resin body of a chopped 29 Model A Tudor, bought through stiffkitty on eBay  many years ago. The thick body discouraged me from going full bore into detailing the interior and now that it is finished, you can hardly see anything in there anyway.

The resin body has scratchbuilt firewall and wheel wells from aluminium printer's plate.  The chassis is an almost stock Deuce hiboy frame from the Revell Model A coupe and roadster kits, using the blown small block Chevy that comes in the kit. I did add a fabricated X member using Evergreen rectangular section styrene.The rear wheels are from a first issue Double Dragster kit and I think the Firestone slicks came from a first issue 57 Chevy kit.  The front wheels are also from a Double Dragster. The rear axle and spring are from a Red Baron kit.

I chose a cheap auto shop spray can enamel ( Aussie Export brand) purely for the colour but it has taken years to dry and I can still leave fingerprints on ( not in) the surface way too easily.  Tis not a great paint job and it has rubbed through in spots so I will call it patina and move on - but I won't be using that can of paint again!

The style is traditional but in all likelihood it is a contemporary fairgrounds type cruiser.  

Most of this chassis was built from the parts remaining after building the channelled version of the Revell 1930 coupe. The rear axle and radius rods, rear shocks, wheels, tyres, Moon tank and seats came from the parts box, illustrating just how easy it is to get two cool models out of the one box if you have a decent stash of parts.  I'm really glad I bought about ten of them!

Cheers

Alan

20190701_192209.jpg

Jan 27 photos 023.JPG

IMG_0373[1].JPG

IMG_0375[1].JPG

IMG_0379[1].JPG

IMG_0380[1].JPG

• Like 6

Wow, I really didn't expect such a strong response to this little car!  Thank you everyone for responding, it means a lot.  As frustrating as the sub-par paintjob was to me, I guess the street brawler nature of the build helps carry the patina'd paint, if you will.  As resin doesn't lend itself to paint stripping, it will just have to grow old gracefully, scars included!

Cheers

Alan

• Like 1