Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which Resin Part(s) or Conversion Would You like To See?

ddms asked earlier, about the lotus elite photo i posted:

>What is that? There's something not-quite-right about it. It looks like somebody tried to make a Lotus Elite from a Porsche body

>shell. I'd love to see Tamiya or somebody do the original Lotus Elite. It's only one of the most beautiful cars ever made, and the

>shape is fairly simple, but nobody makes a kit of it. I realize that styrene is a pipedream, but why not resin?

that was a clear plastic slot car body in 1/32 that i painted and built a brass chassis for...its a tiny tiny car. but youre right and i never realized it but it DOES kinda resemble a 356 in its rear side panels.

count me in for 10 of them elites when tamiya gets with it.

i do have a super shells kit of an elite but i think its 1/32...though it could be 1/24, its been quite a while since i dug it out. it was/is a full curbside model but very limited detail.

An opinion I share. I finally got a hold of an original MPC '68 Charger, and the grille is shockingly different in size compared to the Revell. Actually, the Revell kit to my eyes is acceptable everywhere else, but that grille top-to-bottom height is huge in proportion to the rest of the kit.

Yeah It would be nice if Someone would bring all three of the Original MPC Conevrsion kits back,I personally think the Revell kit is closer to 1/24th then 1/25th,I compared it to the 69 MPC Body and it looks 3 scale inces longer in the front,than the Annual 69 I have!

You know on the note of tires...some tires like coker sells would be good. Wide whites, old school dirt track firestones, etc.

I wonder if Coker might be convinced to let people make models of their tires. Although it might not be period-correct for cars as-new, it would be a huge improvement over blank tires.

If I had a model company, I'd certainly at least talk to them about it. They'd also be a good source of information for old tire manufacturers who are gone completely, and might be able to help research those.

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...

I would personally love it if someone with legit resin casting skills could make a complete (or almost complete) kit of a Lincoln Mark VIII, Buick Riviera Supercharged, '93-'96 Ford Taurus SHO, 2010+ Taurus SHO, as well as many others lol. TKM's attempts at the Lincoln and Buick were laughable when I saw the pictures on ebay.

While my skills may not be up for it quite yet, I'm a lover of sedans & wagons. I'd love to see a '59, '60 (Monogram) or '61 (Lindberg) Impala flat top 4-dr conversion. That or even a Biscayne or Bel Air 4-dr (would work with cop car conversions too).

• 3 months later...

There are a couple mk3 vw golf kits but what I really want is a mk3 GTI (2 door beast of a golf) it's the 93-99.5 model. I think skilled builders could easily fill in the door lines on the body and re carve into a 4 door and work out the door handle somehow but I sure don't have the skill.

I just really want to build a copy of my 1:1. A resin vr6 motor would be really nice too! But I know it won't happen because I'm probably one of very few (if any) people that would want that. I'd be willing to pay extra if it meant making a replica of my 1:1 though.

How about conversions to make base model cars, i.e. GTO to LeMans or Custom S models?

More replacement parts to restore old model cars. I know Modelhaus makes a buch of stuff, but like me, I'm sure everyone has that one model that you can't find a part for...

Know what I mean.... :)

Cheers, Ian

I would love to see 1/12 scale parts. Wheels, tires, engines, steering wheels, body parts, different frames, aftermarket decals, custom pieces, transmissions, carbs, air cleaners, spoilers. Have I made myself clear?

needed i repeat myself again 71 to 73 grandvilles :DB)

1996 Chevy Crew Cab for the AMT kit. I know there WAS one, but it needs to be re-casted.

It is on the way....

Silveradotn-vi.jpg

By the way, is there any '99 Escalade out there???? I need the entire front (grille and headlights)

Edited by Drago

• 8 years later...

For me, tops are the Revell Custom Car Parts .

The Corvette 327, the bodies wheels and speed equipment sets!
How about the old AMT/ JoHan land yachts, The Chrysler's and BIG Olsmobiles etc.

There was a caster that passed away that made a 32 Plymouth and other not Ford bodies, he was into vintage circle track stuff.

He mad a cool Lincoln V -12 in race trim!

30's Buicks and other GM from the 37 Chevy kit, plus sedan and four doors of 30's cars!

Resin realm used to offer a 47 and a 50 Plymouth, other weird stuff, now GONE!

AMT Annuals, the Tempests, Oldsmobiles, wagons, and JoHan annuals too. At least the bodies, these kits are almost impossible to find.

And various parts from old kits sold in packages. Manifolds, Judson Blowers, weird stuff you just don't see much of.

Ken Kitchen! Do a Packard and 50's Lincoln accurately! 

What do you think???????????

What would you like done?

Edited by GaryR
additional info

I have little experience with resin cast anything.

They are there own thing with there advantages (if done well.)

One thing I had a nice experience with was the ability to warm and mould a

custom interior into a scratch built tub using Replicas & Miniatures parts.

I wonder if it would be feasible to make (resin rods) for exhaust or whatever.

Much easier to shape than regular styrene.

At the top of my list would probably these aftermarket hubcap by Lyons,  They're useful for anyone doing period custioms, and as far as I know, nobody's offered them either in resin or styrene.

DSC07152-vi.jpg

Something that would be useful to me personally would be a set of 1967 Toronado hubcaps, as I have a '67 Toronado kit that's complete except for the wheels.

hubcap_p02.JPG