Model Cars Magazine Forum

Trimeresurus Gramineus Viperidae

Peter Lombardo

2010 Dodge Viper ACRX

Converted from a Viper ACR.

Here are the final pictures of the Viper ACRX now completed.

Here is a recap of the work done and modifications made to the stock Revell Viper ACR kit.

Opened the doors and made hinges from brass rod and aluminum tube. Inside of door scratch built frame.

Wheel wells were flared and smoothed.

The 6 air vents on hood were opened and covered with “see-thru†screen.

Chrome plating on wheels striped and painted pearl white, wheel air valves added. Tires replaced with racing slicks and Bridgestone decals applied.

Front wheels made to turn.

Driver seat converted to a racing seat and covered with back embossing powder.

Eduard #24001 “Sabelt†photo etched seat belt installed…Viper logo installed on seat.

Full factory roll cage fabricated.

Steering wheel replaced with non-airbag Momo wheel.

Second smaller upper air foil installed on front fenders

Custom Viper logo cut from vinyl and installed on inner rear window.

Custom vinyl twin stripes painting mask designed and installed over pearl white paint.

Body painted a custom mix of Jacquard yellow and green pearl pigment powder mixed with clear lacquer to replicate a Pit Viper Snake coloring…..yellow blend on bottom, medium green in center and darker green on the top.

Custom Snakeskin computer decals created and decals installed over paint to replicate a snake like look.

Sponsor decals lifted from Tamiya Calsonic Skyline.

Engine bay detailed and hoses installed.

5009714151_7ff4f4dfe9.jpg

5010318180_776b17ea6a.jpg

5010314004_cc763333ee.jpg

5009710249_000d7ce007.jpg

5010317610_f052919456.jpg

5010317378_05ae5f3b46.jpg

5010316276_cac441b6ca.jpg

5009711431_3a143383a3.jpg

5010314314_fb64269921.jpg

5010316538_af83f5c4e7.jpg

Thanks for looking…..comments are always welcome

That turned out killer! I was a bit skeptical when you started with the snake skin, as I really liked the paint job the way it was, but now I think it works as a race car. I think for a street car it would be over the top.

How did you like the Eduard PE belts? I've used their aircraft seat belts for years, but I've yet to try the 24th scale ones.

That turned out killer! I was a bit skeptical when you started with the snake skin, as I really liked the paint job the way it was, but now I think it works as a race car. I think for a street car it would be over the top.

How did you like the Eduard PE belts? I've used their aircraft seat belts for years, but I've yet to try the 24th scale ones.

I have used these belts many times and really like them. These are the four point belts, they also make the six point units too. They have a number of colors and brand logos available. I ordered these from Strada Sports....two belts for $9.95....not bad.

Thanks...I like the paint too. I have wanted to try a snake skin type of effect for some time now. I was never really satisfied with the idea of using lace because the space between the scales is dark so that means after the dark layer, you must paint a lighter layer over the top with the lace on the car. Then it hit me to design the scales in the computer and create decals. The other thing that I really love is the effect I got on the two racing stripes. I wanted it to look like the stripes were painted right on top of the scales. If you did that to a real snake, you would still see the scales and the space between them, but they would be the same basic color. So by making the space between the scales where the stripes are at 20% of the color of the other gaps between the scales the effect is subtle but interestingly different.

I have used these belts many times and really like them. These are the four point belts, they also make the six point units too. They have a number of colors and brand logos available. I ordered these from Strada Sports....two belts for $9.95....not bad.

We carry them where I work, they look great flat on the sheet. Have you ever had any problem with the paint flaking off when you bend them?

We carry them where I work, they look great flat on the sheet. Have you ever had any problem with the paint flaking off when you bend them?

Yes, the first one I did had a few problems that I had to touch up, but I learned my lesson and I handle them carefully and only bend them when necessary. The touch up worked fine with Tamiya flat paint....so it is no biggy. I do recommend them because the photo etch material is much easier to work with then either painted masking tape or fabric. I do not think i will be going back to the others any time soon.

Yes, the first one I did had a few problems that I had to touch up, but I learned my lesson and I handle them carefully and only bend them when necessary. The touch up worked fine with Tamiya flat paint....so it is no biggy. I do recommend them because the photo etch material is much easier to work with then either painted masking tape or fabric. I do not think i will be going back to the others any time soon.

Thanks, I'm going to give them a try next thing I do that needs that type of belts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...