Model Cars Magazine Forum

You just got home with a brand new kit... Now what...?

I open, most definately, sometimes at the counter, usually I can make it home. Depending on type of build, out of box say vs maybe I'm gonna customize a little, I'usually get the body prepped and primed, (If I use primer, seems to happen less and less) at the very least I get everything cleaned up and ready for paint.

I open it and inspect it. Sometimes opening a recently arrived kit will correspond with some eye candy I've seen in a magazine, or an illustration, and I will get started on the kit. If it holds my interest I will finish it, if not back in the box it goes until later when it calls out to me again.

as you probably know rich... i buy at least 1 if not 2 of the kit in question, i will usually open it up inspect all the elements and then build it when i want to in the future.. i like going back into my kits and picking something different then what is out at the moment, been to shows and contests that when a new kit comes out just prior that there are a bunch on the tables, i like to stand out with something that is different from the current kits at that time.... not saying that if something i buy just is screaming at me i wont build it, just not as soon as they come out....

I never buy a kit I don't intend to start right away. I usually can't resist pulling the cellophane off even before leaving the parking lot of the LHS. One the drive home, I'm already making plans for the new kit. This policy normally leaves me about 6 WIP's at any given time. :mellow:

I open the kit right away and make sure it is complete and the parts are not damaged. That way if a part is missing or damaged, it will be easier to get a replacement from the manufacturer or return the kit to the store. I also put the decals and tires in their own bags.

I open the kit right away and make sure it is complete and the parts are not damaged. That way if a part is missing or damaged, it will be easier to get a replacement from the manufacturer or return the kit to the store. I also put the decals and tires in their own bags.

X2

First thing: rip it open and check it out. Even if I'm not going to build it right away, it still gets an immediate "inspection".... :D

Exactly what I do as well.

this is me too plus i go over the instructions even if i am not going to build it for a year.

joe.

Edited by jaydar

I throw it on top of the pile , unless I have a need for the parts. In that case i open it get the parts i need then it goes on the pile. I rarely do a kit as a whole kit usually I buy a kit for a certain part or parts then I dont bother it again unless I need something from it. I have kits that are still in there original shrink wrap just waiting for me to come bash them to bits.

I sometimes open them up in the hobby shop or at least in the car!

Can't wait to check out the parts, looking at the level of detail. Gotta see how the wheels/tires look, most of the time do a quick mock-up also B)

Good thing to do even with a brand new kit that is in current production as there is a chance of missing pieces or de formed pieces, got the dirty donny van the other day and the back of the van was deformed to the point that it would have taken a lot of work to fix so i took it back in the lhs and they gave me a new kit, just bought the london bus off the shelve, that one was to big to look at every piece In the car but when i got home i checked it out to make sure it was complete and in good shape. Its very rare that they are missing pieces or parts but not that rare either. Its good practice to check them out at least the same day. Unless your an expert scratch builder, a missing part or messed up part can ruin a great kit.

Edited by Darren B

• 2 weeks later...

I open them up and give them a once over even if it's going on the pile. I take all of the bare parts out of their bags and if the chrome or clear isn't in a bag I put them in one. It makes it easier to sneak them in the house when they are already open and debagged, "No honey I took this one to work with me/already had it in the car/make up lie here, I didn't go to the hobby store!". I only have one car still in the cellophane out of a couple hundred and it was bought specifically to resell because I got it for a steal.

Well, depending on the model, it either gets put away or it gets opened up and checked out. I just inventoried my stash and I have 280 sealed kits and an unknown number of opened and started kits but probably somewhere between 120-150.

There are some kits that were bought with the sole intention of pirating certain parts for projects and the remainder of the kit becomes trade material or paint practice.

I am trying to restrain myself from impulse buying kits in the future as I really don't want to go through the process of inventorying and selling kits that I know will never get built again.

Open it , inspect it , prep and paint the body soon afterward . Into the flashout cabinet it goes , prep the rest of the kit , put it on the " to do " shelves .

Realized as of late that I'm generally a year or two behind everybody on the builds of the latest releases . Going to have to change this up a bit in the coming months ! Next victim , the new Chrysler kit !

If it's a newly released kit or one I've never had before,I'll open it,look at it,put the decals inside the instruction sheet,put the clear parts in a baggie if they're not in one already and then it goes into the stash.If it's another one of a kit that I've previously purchased it goes in the stash unopened.I know,I know,it's inconsistent.I should open them all or not open them all.

It depends on the kit really. Some of them are so nice, that I can browse for hours. I inspect each and every part on each frame, study the instructions, admire the decals, the box art, I can spend hours just doing that. Then I repack everything, carefully wrapping the frames in tissue, or putting them individually into freezer bags, figure out how they go back into the box so they all fit in snugly, pure joy.

Edited by Junkman

Unless it's one I already have, I open and inspect. Usually take the bag most of the parts are in and wrap the clear tree (unless it's already wrapped). I too like to inspect all the parts and peruse the instructions. Especially the new tools lately, like the Hudson, I can check out for quite a while.

Open it up, check to make sure nothing is missing or warped/broken. If it's a kit that is new to me, I'll spend extra time checking out the instructions, body, etc. I always seem to want to set the body/interior/chassis together. Then I'll assign it an inventory number, enter it into the spreadsheet, make some notes as to how I want to build it, put it into the to-build closet. Periodically, I empty the closet by packing kits into 14x14x16 storage boxes (8-10 per box) which go off to the storage unit..

Edited by Rob Hall