Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the deal with Johan

OK, I will Correct it.

At the Time Penski & Donahue ran the Jav/AMX in Cup.

It was call the "Winston Cup Grand National" Series

Remember that??

Winston came in to Sponsor the series and changed the name from just Grand National!

What is not the Nationwide series, and recently the Busch & Grand National,

was at that time still the "Late Model" series!

The trucks did not exist at that time.

Did you know they Tried Pickups in the 80's??

They only ran a Few events and folded. They were Not fully a Nascar division at

the time, though they did take older Cup cars and convert them!

I Might have pictures of one of these Javelin/AMX in Pitt Panther Markings.

The College actually Had a Race team in 79/80!!

And No I am not talking a Model!!!!!

Getting a JoHan '67 Eldorado in original condition is such a revelation. While JoHan's engraving sharpness can generally be made out in later releases where the molds are more worn, it's almost heartbreaking to see how clean and flash-free the kits once were, and how much more plainly competitive with their contemporaries.

IMGP1342-vi.jpg

Alas, fotki puked out all my other shots. Who knows how much longer this one has, come to think of it...

Getting a JoHan '67 Eldorado in original condition is such a revelation. While JoHan's engraving sharpness can generally be made out in later releases where the molds are more worn, it's almost heartbreaking to see how clean and flash-free the kits once were, and how much more plainly competitive with their contemporaries.

Yup.

ttolds5.jpg

JO-HAN kits always had beautifully engraved details, too, as seen on this '69 Roadrunner:

JOHANroadrunnerdetail.jpg

jhrr2.jpg

Here are some box art pics of the 68 and 69 Javelin kits. These are the thin boxes they used back then. I searched for years before I finally got the 68 Javelin kit pictured. It is so hard to find a built one that was not built as the funny car!!

69JavelinSST.jpg

This is the 69 kit.

68JavelinSST.jpg

This is the 68 Kit.

I thought the interest was there for these kits but as much as I love them. I think the collectors want them more than the builders do.

I still have a built 1967 Eldorado . I agree, the old molds were beautiful as was the real car then . I've never been a fan of anything Front wheel drive . However BOTH the Toronado and the subsequent Eldorado cars were way over engineered as were the original kits !

• 4 years later...
On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2013 at 2:53 AM, Casey said:

Yup, Jo-Han kits always had beautifully engraved details, too.

Yet they lost the promo contracts, I guess quality lost to cost per unit, afterall they're kids toys....

Edited by Luc Janssens

• 2 years later...

They're back. 😲 Looks like someone using the official JOHAN (newest) logo from Covington, KY is selling genuine. N.O.S., leftover(?) JOHAN parts on ebay. Assuming this is Okey Spalding or someone related?: https://www.ebay.com/sch/pirate200867/m.html?item=224358455209&hash=item343cce57a9%3Ag%3AW8QAAOSwBS5gJuyl&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

518763581_s-l1600(20).jpg.26a95a3a5c5d03e1f6680f107ac1051b.jpg

Interesting. That user has been on eBay for 13 years (with over 1000 feedbacks), but it appears (from the feedbacks) that they just started selling now.

That seller is shipping from Covington, Kentucky (if that is a clue).

Edited by peteski

The ebay vendor in question is actually a gentleman named Chuck Varney who is in fact selling mr. Okey Spaulding’s official Jo-Han parts. I recently communicated with him about 64 caddy taillights, but unfortunately they do not ship internationally. 

Edited by PowerPlant