Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

15 hours ago, atomicholiday said:

LOVE these old monogram kits!  About a year ago I found an unpainted builit up too.  It was put together with regular white glue.  Basically fell apart in my hands and the glue flakes right off. 

When I bought the first one, I had planned to build it as soon as I'd finished my then-current project. I ended up with it in the display case, to await its redo. It's still there, as I went on to other projects. But, hey, it looks good, in there! I'm with you, too. I love the old Monogram kits! I have eight others in there, that I built. Three of those were rescued glue bombs. Several of them, I went a little nuts with! They're great fun, though!

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 4:52 PM, Straightliner59 said:

This is one of my all-time favorite kits. Until six years ago, or so, I'd never even owned one. At that time, I acquired an unpainted, (albeit very cleanly) built one. The box is in very nice shape, there are a few extra parts in there, and the model looked nice enough to just put it in my display case, as it was. I didn't feel like I needed another, after all, I have my "grail". Today, I got an email notification that there was a new listing on Ebay. I had to see what outrageous price someone was asking for a built-up version that was not in anywhere near the shape mine's in. I found this--I don't know what etiquette dictates, I've no intent to be rude, but, for $100 plus shipping--I couldn't pass this up! I mean...what a beauty!

s-l1600.jpg

Nice! I picked up a built one at a show years ago for about $40, and it was that price only because I know the seller! Then I got the modified version, the yellow one, with the hope using both kits to make a clean resto, until I went to a kit show and this older gentleman was selling off his Corvette collection and he had one a the bottom of the pile. I was afraid to ask how much as it was still sealed, but I asked, and he told me that everything was $10 bucks! I had a pretty good out of body moment! I had to double check and he confirmed the price! I told him it was worth more, but he didn't care, he just wanted the stuff gone! 

I don't get that luck that often, but I do find a diamond once in a while!

But, great find on minty version that is well worth it!  Congrats! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 1959scudetto said:

Just received two of my all-time greats ( = grails):

1969 Mirage Mk. 3 (Ford Cosworth) of Jacky Ickx/Jackie Oliver from DDP 1/24 and the 

1971 Porsche 917 Martini LH of Vic Elford/Gerard Larrousse from Le Mans Miniatures 1/24:

P1070912.JPG.46c350de1e52bdf158782482e050ef8b.JPG

P1070911.JPG.9af3c8f38749fc78a8df9d64a9b3e9bd.JPG

Super great acquistions.  

16 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

Nice! I picked up a built one at a show years ago for about $40, and it was that price only because I know the seller! Then I got the modified version, the yellow one, with the hope using both kits to make a clean resto, until I went to a kit show and this older gentleman was selling off his Corvette collection and he had one a the bottom of the pile. I was afraid to ask how much as it was still sealed, but I asked, and he told me that everything was $10 bucks! I had a pretty good out of body moment! I had to double check and he confirmed the price! I told him it was worth more, but he didn't care, he just wanted the stuff gone! 

I don't get that luck that often, but I do find a diamond once in a while!

But, great find on minty version that is well worth it!  Congrats! 

That's awesome, Jesse! Yes, that would cause an out-of-body experience. It arrived, today! Looks as good as advertised. If I ever get a good opportunity, I'll pick up one of the yellow versions, too. I think it's cool, too. At the time this one listed (it was only there about 2-1/2 hours, before I saw it!), there was an incomplete built one they were asking $190 for. I think I got the built one for about $80, shipped.

I also got a 1/16th Petty Charger. It's another of the kits I picked up for sentimental value. Got a nice deal on it, and free shipping. I had one of the originals, when it was released. I also got some Tichy nut/bolt/washer castings. Tichy's castings are the cleanest of all the railroad stuff I have found, and I've used a ton of different ones, over the years.

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

I also got a 1/16th Petty Charger. It's another of the kits I picked up for sentimental value. Got a nice deal on it, and free shipping. I had one of the originals, when it was released.

Built the original back when I was younger and bought the re-release not knowing it didn't have the clear body. Stupid me for not paying attention.

I got some 2 part epoxy putty today.

I really dislike Tamiya and Mr Hobby puttys. They smell bad. They dry weird, meaning the surface dries in minutes making them hard to work with but once they are spread onto a part they take days to fully cure. And they always shrink which requires more than one application of putty, and waiting more days for it to cure.

I was searching for something better and saw a youtube video about two part epoxy puttys.

You knead the two parts together, you press them onto the plastic. And you have a hour or more to shape the stuff. It cures hard in a day. And it doesn't shrink.

I can't wait to try this stuff tonight.

17 minutes ago, ctruss53 said:

I got some 2 part epoxy putty today.

I really dislike Tamiya and Mr Hobby puttys. They smell bad. They dry weird, meaning the surface dries in minutes making them hard to work with but once they are spread onto a part they take days to fully cure. And they always shrink which requires more than one application of putty, and waiting more days for it to cure.

I was searching for something better and saw a youtube video about two part epoxy puttys.

You knead the two parts together, you press them onto the plastic. And you have a hour or more to shape the stuff. It cures hard in a day. And it doesn't shrink.

I can't wait to try this stuff tonight.

Should give sprue glue a try 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Straightliner59 said:

That's awesome, Jesse! Yes, that would cause an out-of-body experience. It arrived, today! Looks as good as advertised. If I ever get a good opportunity, I'll pick up one of the yellow versions, too. I think it's cool, too. At the time this one listed (it was only there about 2-1/2 hours, before I saw it!), there was an incomplete built one they were asking $190 for. I think I got the built one for about $80, shipped.

I also got a 1/16th Petty Charger. It's another of the kits I picked up for sentimental value. Got a nice deal on it, and free shipping. I had one of the originals, when it was released. I also got some Tichy nut/bolt/washer castings. Tichy's castings are the cleanest of all the railroad stuff I have found, and I've used a ton of different ones, over the years.

DSC_0006cr.jpg

Oh yeah, that looks nice and minty! Congrats! I have the charger, but sadly, it is not the clear body version. But, I always keep and eye out for one at the shows. 

Recent acquisitions, continuing my obsession with large scale bikes. The Grim Reaper is factory sealed. The Trike is unstarted, but unfortunately missing the decals. The Yamaha was advertised as new but the two halves of the frame are glued. It was a decent job so I decided to let it go. I was able to "repair" the Yamaha's caved in box to a decent condition by using a damp rag and a clothes iron from the inside.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Calb56 said:

Take sprue, odd pieces of styrene, put it in a glass jar of Plastiweld https://www.hobbylinc.com/plastruct-plastiweld-1-plastic-model-cement-00002 and let it melt. If it hardens, add more Plastiweld.

This or you could use Tamiya extra thin cement too. Use quality plastic like old sprue from Tamiya, and cut into pieces then drop them into the cement. Than just let it sit, and the cement will melt the plastic. Just do small amounts at a time until you get the right consistency. Basically not to thin or too thick. Tons of videos on how to do it. 

I made an intangible purchase today. I created an account with Cults 3-D, and purchased an stl file of a Nissan L24 motor. This is the motor that was found in the Nissan Fairlady 240ZG. I have a friend who has a printer and will ask him if he would make a print of the stl file. Seeing as how I know nothing about 3-D printing or stl files, I saved the recommended print settings from the Cults 3-D website. When (if?) I get the print, I will take pictures and add them to this posting! The printed motor on the website looks awesome.

• Like 1