Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Got an original annual AMT '66 Corvette roadster (rescued from eBay). The body and interior are painted a garish raspberry red, and the windshield frame is broken, but it looks very savable/strippable/fixable. But better yet, the original box at first glance seems to have ALL the original parts--hard top and its glass, open wheels, custom wheels, small and big block hoods, Cal "Road Runner" wheels, airfoil roll bar, plastic slicks, box, instructions, decals, the whole nine yards! I could tell from the eBay pic that the lower frame on the hard top was broken and missing, but to my utter delight the missing piece was in the box and it should be an easy fix. Happy Happy Joy Joy! (I'll try to post some pics this weekend if I get time.)

Got an original annual AMT '66 Corvette roadster (rescued from eBay). The body and interior are painted a garish raspberry red, and the windshield frame is broken, but it looks very savable/strippable/fixable. But better yet, the original box at first glance seems to have ALL the original parts--hard top and its glass, open wheels, custom wheels, small and big block hoods, Cal "Road Runner" wheels, airfoil roll bar, plastic slicks, box, instructions, decals, the whole nine yards! I could tell from the eBay pic that the lower frame on the hard top was broken and missing, but to my utter delight the missing piece was in the box and it should be an easy fix. Happy Happy Joy Joy! (I'll try to post some pics this weekend if I get time.)

Sounds like a great buy !.

Did it have good headlights? I could use a set if you want to trade...

Sorry, one missing.  I'll probably keep the other in case I need a Cyclops look on a street rod.  Or something. Two of the red bullet taillights were also missing, which was irritating.  Along with most of the chrome side trim and some other small parts.  Like the driver side door handle, also annoying.  I need those in pairs! Grrr....

The woman I bought the Chrysler from recently got a huge lot of Danbury & Franklin diecasts in an estate sale.  She's bringing them to the Flea Market a few at a time.  Of the ones she brought this week, most were slightly damaged and missing parts. She has the original "Owner's Certificate/Bill Of Sale" for most of them, but none of the boxes or paperwork.  If I see a '53 Skylark cheap, I'll buy it and let you know.  I'd like another set of those wire wheels.

Got one of these with the old coupon deal.

For the most part I like the kit, though the blobular old-style chassis is a little disappointing. That's OK though, 'cause I just wanted the split-window body. I've got plenty of chassis to use.

The BIG disappointment was the Weber carbs. They are SIDE-DRAFT carbs, very obviously to anyone familiar with Webers, but they're mounted on the engine as DOWN-DRAFTS.

This could not possibly work in reality, and as frequently as I've seen people recommend the Webers from this kit, this anomaly has NEVER been addressed (to my knowledge).

Image result for amt 1963 corvette

Got one of these with the old coupon deal.

For the most part I like the kit, though the blobular old-style chassis is a little disappointing. That's OK though, 'cause I just wanted the split-window body. I've got plenty of chassis to use.

The BIG disappointment was the Weber carbs. They are SIDE-DRAFT carbs, very obviously to anyone familiar with Webers, but they're mounted on the engine as DOWN-DRAFTS.

This could not possibly work in reality, and as frequently as I've seen people recommend the Webers from this kit, this anomaly has NEVER been addressed (to my knowledge).

Image result for amt 1963 corvette

By coincidence, I'm restoring an original 1963 survivor issue of this kit. Yup, first issue!

What's the difference between downdrafts and sidedrafts, visually? Are they right in other kits, such as the Cobra?

By coincidence, I'm restoring an original 1963 survivor issue of this kit. Yup, first issue!

What's the difference between downdrafts and sidedrafts, visually? Are they right in other kits, such as the Cobra?

A Weber side-draft has a float-bowl cover on top, with a big wing-nut in the center to allow access to the jet carriers. The top-plate does NOT have to be removed to access the venturis, which come out from the side. You can also see the fuel inlet is on the top plate. A filter screen is under the hex fitting to the right of the wing-nut retained jet-carrier cover. This is the typical DCO-series design.

Image result for weber side draft

A Weber down-draft provides access to the jet carriers through a small, roughly rectangular plate in the center of the carb top plate, which the velocity stacks mount to. The top-plate is removed to access the venturis. The fuel inlet is on the top plate, but between the stacks in this case. This is the typical IDA-series design.                                                                                                                                                                                  

Image result for weber downdraft

Mounting a side-draft as a down-draft would place the float on its side, so it wouldn't float. It would also allow fuel to simply dump out on the ground. Likewise, mounting down-drafts as side-drafts wouldn't work for the same reason.

The only other Webers I can think of that I have here are the large (58 DCO) in the Accurate Miniatures Grand Sport, which are correct.

Alas, I have no Cobra kits here (most of which would probably be fitted with IDA downdrafts).

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

The local Hobby Lobby (Anderson, SC) FINALLY got the REVELL '30 Coupe.  Picked one up today with the 40% off e-mail coupon.  Plan to buy another...but only with another coupon!

I noticed something about those $39.99 prices - along with the '64 Plymouth Lawman, the latest reissue of the LINDBERG customized '37 Ford convertible was also $39.99.  And just like the Lawman, the Ford had a sticker on the box touting the Cartograph decals.  So I'm guessing that Cartograph deal had something to do with the $10.00 price bump.  Though I am just guessing, and don't know for sure.

As I mentioned above, online dealers show the MSRP of the Lawman as $31 and change, and both sell it for quite a bit less.  But with the HL 40% discount, the kit comes in at $23.99. So there really won't be much difference between the online price and HL with the coupon.

Another one to add to the stash for another day

AMT 1962 Mercury convertible builtup.

55766.jpg

Nice Bill!

I've had a couple of these also.

I recently traded one off but still have a pretty good convertible with the up top in my stash.

Problem is, the up top is pretty much permanently "welded" to the windshield frame.

Like you, it's saved for another day.

Steve

Nice Bill!

I've had a couple of these also.

I recently traded one off but still have a pretty good convertible with the up top in my stash.

Problem is, the up top is pretty much permanently "welded" to the windshield frame.

Like you, it's saved for another day.

Steve

No funky skirts ever on it or weird stuff , Just a decent rattle can paint job that actually shows fairly well. Plan is just clean / polish  it up, do some BMF work over the painted trim and put it in the case till maybe someday later. This one gives me all the Mercury verts from 1959 thru 1962,

Got my "holy grail" finally after years of looking.  Granatelli STP Turbine car from 1967, MPC 1/20.  Everything but the tires and decals, parts still on the trees!  That's OK, the original tires are incorrect, Indycals has the proper replacements along with fresh decals so I'm good to go.  Built this as a kid after seeing the real deal at Indy, long gone.  Now I can maybe do it justice.

DSCN2054.JPG

Edited by bbowser
mispell

Got my "holy grail" finally after years of looking.  Granatelli STP Turbine car from 1967, MPC 1/20.  Everything but the tires and decals, parts still on the trees!  That's OK, the original tires are incorrect, Indycals has the proper replacements along with fresh decals so I'm good to go.  Built this as a kid after seeing the real deal at Indy, long gone.  Now I can maybe do it justice.

DSCN2054.JPG

I would love to know if Round 2 has the molds for this one. And could it be reissued? I've always thought it was the coolest car ever raced at Indy.

These old 'Birds landed here today. The price was right. I couldn't resist. I like these old build ups. I have no idea what I'll do with them yet.

birds189_3_16-vi.jpg

birds289_3_16-vi.jpg

Those are survivors.  Bits of the folk art of our youth.  They deserve to be cleaned up a bit and displayed for what they are. Especially the pickup!

No funky skirts ever on it or weird stuff , Just a decent rattle can paint job that actually shows fairly well. Plan is just clean / polish  it up, do some BMF work over the painted trim and put it in the case till maybe someday later. This one gives me all the Mercury verts from 1959 thru 1962,

I have them all too!

Funny thing is, they're all convertibles! :D

You know me, I'm a hardtop guy, but I've never been crazy about the "boxy" hardtops on the early 60s Fords & Mercs.

I've already built the '59 & '60.

Just have the '61 & '62 to go.

Some day I'll add a '63 convertible to the line up also.

Steve

These old 'Birds landed here today. The price was right. I couldn't resist. I like these old build ups. I have no idea what I'll do with them yet.

birds189_3_16-vi.jpg

Aha! That reverse angle roof + Ranchero modification just gave me a great idea for the two parts car Monogram '58s I have: Shorten/cut back the roof, stretch the wheelbase, modify the rear end similar to yours, add a stainless steel bed with a bunch of scale floral arrangements, and paint it jet black:

birds189_3_16-vi.thumb.jpg.c6a31b68db76d

T-Bird flower car! :)

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...