Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I bought and sold a ton of stuff at Sharon and also enjoyed talking to 64ss350, James, Zman, Ron andrews and a ton of other guys! I grabbed 3 of the gasser wagons, a vanship, 41 willys, borax mule team, some wheels and photo etch, bottoms up jeep x2, ala carte, teety pie, 2 57' chevys, 3 64 impalas and a hemi dart it the best one a johan haulin hearse builder but decent enough it sure made me happy!

vince

Robert, the chassis on AMT's Pacer wagon is more like their Gremlin kits. Seperate exhaust and a little more under the hood detail. One Warning: The kit has metal axles. Personally I don't mind them, but I know some people do. I like the fact that not only is a different year and body style from the MPC kit, it also modeled on a different trim level. AMT's Pacer represents a D/L model with the wider indivual front seats. The MPC kit comes with the bucket seats that were included with the Pacer X. Both kits have AMC sixes under their hood. They both come with the same style factory optional wheels (in stock form). But, with slots opened up on the AMT version, I like their's a little bit better.

It amazes and pleases me to no end that we have Pacer model kits back on the market. I've always kind of liked the ugly little things. The wagon better than the coupe. The early front end versus the later front end. Despite that, I was very pleased when Round 2 reissued the MPC '78 coupe. Now I'm even more please Round 2 has give us the AMT '77 wagon version too.

Thanks for confirming, Scott.  I also always thought that Pacer wagons had better proportions than the coupes.

This is another kit that I love just for the absurdity of it.  Back in the day, a Pacer wagon was just about the most "uncool" car you could imagine (even more so than the Pacer coupes).  Kind of amazes me that it was kitted.

Nowadays, Pacers are so unusual and bizarre looking that they really are kind of cool.  Of course, if you try hard enough, you can make anything cool:

hrdp-1010-01-p-steve-bashfords-1978-AMC-pacer-wagon-blasting-off.jpg

The fe-mail carrier dropped off a big box from an online retailer.  Including the AMT "Blazing Bison" Puller Tractor.  I had this one years ago in the original "Meisterbrau" version and stripped it for parts.  I have zero interest in Puller Tractors. But I am interested in the 3 Arias Hemi engines and the great accessories, like the wagon, ice chest etc.  So I may strip this one down too.  Not sure yet.  Those rear tractor tires should be useful for something...

Also grabbed an interesting "police car," even if it is in the Wrong Scale of 1/35: the ITALERI 4x4 IVECO Tactical Vehicle "Lince."  As usual, ITALERI's box art is underwhelming, but this is a really well-done kit.  The interior safety belts and harnesses are done in photo-etched metal and all 4 doors are separate parts:

lince.jpg

Edited by Mike999
error

Thanks for confirming, Scott.  I also always thought that Pacer wagons had better proportions than the coupes.

This is another kit that I love just for the absurdity of it.  Back in the day, a Pacer wagon was just about the most "uncool" car you could imagine (even more so than the Pacer coupes).  Kind of amazes me that it was kitted.

Nowadays, Pacers are so unusual and bizarre looking that they really are kind of cool.  Of course, if you try hard enough, you can make anything cool:

hrdp-1010-01-p-steve-bashfords-1978-AMC-pacer-wagon-blasting-off.jpg

I just have soft spot for Pacers and Gremlins. Our neighbor bought one new and we all called it the moon car! Used to ride with him and his kids to get Jack In The Box, Good times! 

And this one looks flat out cool! 

Image result for purple pacer

Sealed '73 issue of Revell's open-door '57 nomad. Two threads here are responsible for me buying this thing: 1) Greg Myers idea that the FI manifold base in this kit would make the best start for the American Graffiti "Milner Coupe" four-2bbl intake manifold, and 2) a thread about the old Revell open-door tri-fives. I'm so easily swayed to buy things I just don't need, like 43-year old still-sealed kits to hack up. ;)

Image result for revell 57 nomad

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

Sealed '73 issue of Revell's open-door '57 nomad. Two threads here are responsible for me buying this thing: 1) Greg Myers idea that the FI manifold base in this kit would make the best start for the American Graffiti "Milner Coupe" four-2bbl intake manifold, and 2) a thread about the old Revell open-door tri-fives. I'm so easily swayed to buy things I just don't need, like 43-year old still-sealed kits to hack up. ;)

Image result for revell 57 nomad

Bill, can we see photos when you open this kit up? I keep hearing horror stories about this kit. Yet I don't remember it be all that bad.

It's a funny thing.  I've always said that if the Pacer was a Chevy it would have been a big hit!  The aura of AMC in that era  wasn't the greatest so people avoided their cars even though they were pretty innovative!   

Back in the Pacer era of the 1970s a buddy-0-mine worked at a small AMC dealer. He'd call me when they needed extra hands to move cars around the lots or in town. Sometimes we'd take a dozen cars through the local car wash.  That gave me the opportunity to drive a lot of different new and used AMCs.  They were fun to drive, even the six cylinder cars had a certain cool feel about them.  One car that really stood out in my memory was a red Pacer X wagon. It had a six with a four speed. That was one cool car to drive!

And one more story. Back when I got back into models about 25 years ago, you could buy Pacer kits for $5 or less at shows.  I always liked the Pacer and the kits had Suburbanite snow tires in them that I used on my light commercial trucks.  At one dealer, he sold me 5 Pacer kits (different varieties) for $15.    I was walking around with these in my arms and a local dealer friend of mine was making fun of me.

A few months later he had been contacted by the president of the Pacer club looking for models.  He came snooping around asking if I'd part with those $3 Pacers.   Um no, you were making fun of me!  :-)

Edited by Tom Geiger

The aura of AMC in that era  wasn't the greatest so people avoided their cars even though they were pretty innovative!  

Heh!  Now I find myself wanting a 1/25 scale MilSpec '70 Ambassador wagon. From "U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles" by Fred W. Crismon  (Crestline Publishing, 1983):

"Purchases of military vehicles are usually done on a low bid basis. Occasionally this leads to a less than desirable product, and this AMC Ambassador station wagon of about 1970 is a prime example.

Known to private buyers as the most luxurious of the AMC fleet, these military "Ambassadors" should have been a total embarrassment to the manufacturer.  Sheet plastic upholstery, minimal insulation, black rubber floor mats, a black painted instrument panel and a high noise level provided by the 232 cubic inch 6-cylinder engine gave an impression of total austerity. Although technically "just what the Army ordered," the cars were noisy, harsh riding when loaded, and not very reliable. They encouraged many a military member to never own an AMC product."

Edited by Mike999
Error

Heh!  Now I find myself wanting a 1/25 scale MilSpec '70 Ambassador wagon. From "U.S. Military Wheeled Vehicles" by Fred W. Crismon  (Crestline Publishing, 1983):

"Purchases of military vehicles are usually done on a low bid basis. Occasionally this leads to a less than desirable product, and this AMC Ambassador station wagon of about 1970 is a prime example.

Known to private buyers as the most luxurious of the AMC fleet, these military "Ambassadors" should have been a total embarrassment to the manufacturer.  Sheet plastic upholstery, minimal insulation, black rubber floor mats, a black painted instrument panel and a high noise level provided by the 232 cubic inch 6-cylinder engine gave an impression of total austerity. Although technically "just what the Army ordered," the cars were noisy, harsh riding when loaded, and not very reliable. They encouraged many a military member to never own an AMC product."

We had some of those in the Air Force in mid-'70s. It was rumored the military bought them to try to help out struggling AMC. I had one sergeant who liked the base cars so much that he actually went out and bought a personal Ambassador. It served him quite well for many years as I recall.

My father was a US Army officer during this era. When we were in Germany, our staff car was a 1968 AMC Ambassador  4 door sedan.  While we were there it got replaced with a 1970 Ford Falcon 4 door sedan (think Torino body).   Both cars were that army drab color, and the lowest level of trim including black rubber mats instead of carpet. The government bid out their needs, but also spread the spend around the big three US manufacturers to keep them all afloat. 

arthurs office

Here's a photo of my fathers unit headquarters around 1969.  You can see the back end of the Ambassador to the left edge of the photo.  The VW on the right side of the door way was our red Beetle with the US spec bumpers.  

I just have soft spot for Pacers and Gremlins. Our neighbor bought one new and we all called it the moon car! Used to ride with him and his kids to get Jack In The Box, Good times! 

And this one looks flat out cool! 

I recall seeing an article on this particular car a few years ago. IIRC the lady pictured did most, if not all, of the work. I think she was 17 at the time. I may be wrong. I've slept a few times since then.....Every day is a new day.

Later-

model bag

As in "How busy has my life been?" These are still in the shopping bag sitting on a chair in my kitchen!  I bought these three kits at the Super September Showdown on Sept 11th. The Pie Wagon is open  but I wanted it for parts at $10. The 32 Ford Phantom was hard to pass up at $15.  I want the chassis and drivetrain.  And I needed to have one of the new '30 Model A coupes!  

I recall seeing an article on this particular car a few years ago. IIRC the lady pictured did most, if not all, of the work. I think she was 17 at the time. I may be wrong. I've slept a few times since then.....Every day is a new day.

Later-

Yes, she was featured in Hot Rod Magazine. That car left an impression on me and I have been wanting to duplicate it in kit form. 

Yes, she was featured in Hot Rod Magazine. That car left an impression on me and I have been wanting to duplicate it in kit form. 

Cute girl. And a fun project. I'm glad Hot Rod featured her in their magazine. It looks like she did a great building the car. And I love the color and her personalized license plate to go with it. Too bad I'm too old for her. I think I'm in love.

The aura of AMC in that era  wasn't the greatest so people avoided their cars even though they were pretty innovative!...They were fun to drive, even the six cylinder cars had a certain cool feel about them.  One car that really stood out in my memory was a red Pacer X wagon. It had a six with a four speed. That was one cool car to drive!

I have a soft spot for AMCs as well, my Grandpa always bought AMCs, along with several of my uncles,  actually going back pre-merger to the Nashes.  My mother likes to reminisce about teasing my Grandpa and Uncle Bob about their "Nash cans", which is what the younger kids called the bathtub Nashes, since they thought they were so ugly.

My Grandpa eventually switched to AMC wagons.  His Rambler wagon survived (barely) the infamous 1967 Oak Lawn tornado.  My mom recalled looking out their basement window and seeing the back wheels actually briefly lift off the driveway as the tornado passed nearby.

Last car my Grandpa bought was a Matador wagon (guessing it was about a 1977), complete with woodgrain, of course.  Last AMC in the family was my Uncle's Concord coupe.

No pics at the moment, but I got a broken down rebuilder MPC 70 GTO.... to make my 70 leMans Jury conversion ( google it cool story, 26 made in Canada)

a decal order from SLIXX with new 2010-2014 Camaro decals and Mopar v10 decals for a challenger, as well as a couple of Competition Resins hoods for the new camaro and challengers.

Went to a giant weekly flea market (the Jockey Lot in Anderson, SC, definitely worth a look if you're in the area).  Saw some models but already had/didn't want any of them.  I'm pretty sure most of the kits I saw came from the big Ollie's sale a few months ago (see below) - MONOGRAM '37 Ford, LINDBERG "Color Me Gone" Dodge, etc.  But I raided Ollie's  several times during that sale, and all the Flea Market kits were marked up higher than the Ollie's price.  So no sale! 

One flea market vendor had a bunch of X-Acto stuff.   For $2 each, I got 2 of the #11 blade refill packs with 15 blades per pack.

Continuing on a theme - then went to Hobby Lobby and used the 40% off coupon for one of those neat X-Acto handles with the LED light.  No new kits that I saw and none Clearanced.  Same at Michael's.

OLLIE'S ALERT: someone mentioned seeing more model car kits at Ollie's recently.  The one in Anderson, SC didn't have any LINDBERG Dodge trucks. It did have a couple of LINDBERG Tenn. State Patrol snap-kits. And a whole bunch of the re-popped HAWK "Rube Goldberg" kits, Torture Wheels, Iron Maidens, etc.  Also some of the old LINDBERG aircraft and the German armored car.  Maybe they held back some of the stock from the Big Buyout for this year's Christmas season? 

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...