Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

landed yesterday; 1/12 scale Model Factory Hiro Porsche 917K. 1970 Le Mans winner #23. Haven't had time to lay it all out for pics yet, there's a ton of stuff in this box

Wow, me thinks your spare time is booked for quite a while! Pics of the Instruction sheets would be Jaw Dropping.

Wow, me thinks your spare time is booked for quite a while! Pics of the Instruction sheets would be Jaw Dropping.

I won't be starting it for a while. I wanted to get it before they all disappear. I'll probably end up getting a couple more, depending on what they come out with. They are releasing about 1 each month, but mostly F1. Not a big F1 fan. If they do the F40 and fix the windshield cowling issue they had on their 1/24, that will be a holy grail kit for me. 

Also picked up one of the MPC Pinto wagons today.  Not sure what it says about me, but 4 of my last 5 kit purchases have been these old MPC reissues.

My LHS also had the AMT Pacer wagons, but figured that might be a purchase for the next visit.

Scott, does the AMT Pacer have a promo type chassis like the MPC Pacer, or is the drivetrain and exhaust separate, similar to the AMT Gremlin kits?  Don't think I've seen pics posted yet of the AMT Pacer kit contents.

Robert, the chassis on AMT's Pacer wagon is more like their Gremlin kits. Seperate exhaust and a little more under the hood detail. One Warning: The kit has metal axles. Personally I don't mind them, but I know some people do. I like the fact that not only is a different year and body style from the MPC kit, it also modeled on a different trim level. AMT's Pacer represents a D/L model with the wider indivual front seats. The MPC kit comes with the bucket seats that were included with the Pacer X. Both kits have AMC sixes under their hood. They both come with the same style factory optional wheels (in stock form). But, with slots opened up on the AMT version, I like their's a little bit better.

It amazes and pleases me to no end that we have Pacer model kits back on the market. I've always kind of liked the ugly little things. The wagon better than the coupe. The early front end versus the later front end. Despite that, I was very pleased when Round 2 reissued the MPC '78 coupe. Now I'm even more please Round 2 has give us the AMT '77 wagon version too.

Nice Mr. Postman dropped one of these off today....sealed...but no more. It has a very nicely detailed engine-gearbox that surprised me. I really wanted a '67, but since it's going to be a custom anyway, 's okay.  :D

Image result for johan 70 eldo

These are great kits!

It's really surprising how detailed Johan was getting with some of their kits by 1970.

Kind of makes me wonder what we could have expected from them had they survived to this day.

Steve

Today, nice Mr. Mailman brought me a Fujimi Mugen Honda CR-Z all the way from the land of the rising sun. First time I saw one of these little buggers on the street, i did a double take. I still think it's one of the trickest looking econoboxes ever built...but it needs to shed 1000 pounds and become rear-wheel-drive with a built B16 / 18 where the back seat is.

That would give us a 1600 pound mid-engined car with an easy 220 HP. Plenty good power-to-weight ratio to be vastly entertaining, and decent fuel economy too.

Sadly for me, I'm not in the position to build a real one right now...and besides, it would be illegal (:o).

So, for the time being, a model it will have to be.   ;)

Image result for FUJIMI Honda Mugen CR-Z

Got an original annual AMT '66 Corvette Coupe glue bomb I won on eBay the other night. It was mis-listed as a '65 and came in a '65 box, but the body, hood, interior, and wheels are all '66, which I needed for my Great Sting Ray Resto Project. Thanks to Bob Ellis for bringing it to my attention.

Which reminds me of something that happened this week.  A new soda machine at work will accept a $5 bill.  I got a Diet Coke for $1.60 and it gave me my change in nickels and dimes!  I had a whole pocket full of change!  I just had to laugh

One of my ex-bosses had the bright idea to put in a soda machine, in the shop area (of a roofing company).  Cheapness phase one was to buy one of those cheap mechanical machines that sits on a table, instead of a real machine like you see everywhere else.  Cheapness phase two was to go to Pennsylvania to buy the soda, because it was cheaper there and they didn't have a deposit on the cans.  I think he was figuring on turning in the discarded cans anyway, and collecting the deposit.  You could get away with it back then, but now it's illegal.  The recycling machines are more sophisticated now too, they can tell which containers are deposit and which aren't.

Cheapness phase three was to charge 75 cents a can, then put in a change machine that only gave 75 cents change when you put in a dollar bill.

One of the (many) dirtbag employees figured out how to reach up into the machine and get a free soda.  The other monkeys watch, learn, and imitate.  Boss wonders why he's coming up short every week.  Someone (probably sniffing the boss up for a loan) rats out the soda thieves, and another employee (a kid who was as honest as the day is long) shows the boss how it's done.  The kid could do it because he had skinny arms and could reach into the machine.  Boss doesn't confront the dirtbags, but instead chews out the kid who showed him what was being done!  No good deed goes unpunished.  The machine got pulled out that afternoon.  He gave away the leftover soda.  I cracked one open, it was flat.   

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...