Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Peter, those Aztec pearls are new. They are pre-thinned for airbrushing, have good pigment, and lay on very smooth. They dry to a satin finish you you have to clear it. Here's one of my first efforts using them. I bought mine directly from Testor's.

photo-vi.jpg

Guys, Testors has both gloss and matte clears in the Aztec line, I used their gloss. Dried very hard. I polished it up with Ultra Restore, no wet sanding needed. No base coat is needed. A really great thing is that if you have a fubar, you can just re-coat the area and it blends just like the 1:1 waterborne auto paint. The Merc was primed using Plastikote, but I have found that it really likes bare plastic. If I can find any flaw, its that the pearl colors tend to ding a bit before they're cleared, but I would think if the paint was "set" with a hair dryer one might not have that reaction. I'm going to try polishing some primer to see if the paint sticks to that as well as bare plastic. The total painting time on the Merc was 15 minutes, in a dirty and unheated garage with no paint booth, clean up time included. They make 40 colors, including transparent, opaque, and flourescent. Forgot to post the link, and the pic is of "ultra restore" from innovative hobby supply.

http://www.testors.com/category/558561/Airbrushable_Acrylic_Paint

http://www.innovativehobbysupply.com/index.php/featured-products/ultra-restore/ultra-restore-plastic-polishing-formula.html

ultrarestore-pr2010-main-new.jpg

IMG_2959-vi.jpgIMG_2973-vi.jpgIMG_2972-vi.jpgIMG_2978-vi.jpg

A quick trip to Wally's found this interesting Motormax duo. It was the last one they had and was $19. The '66 Chevy pickup is one we don't have in plastic right now, so it's interesting. The details and painting are fairly nice. It would come apart with a few screws to detail out the engine bay and interior. The bed on it is plastic.

I bought it for the camper unit. It's plastic so we can do a lot with it. It's different than the Open Road camper and I'm not sure if it's a replica of an actual camper or generic. It doesn't have an interior, the windows are solid plastic. As you can see in the last photo, it comes apart with 6 screws so once we hollow out all the screw posts we can either use the interior from the Open Road camper or scratch build our own. I've been on this camper kick lately so I'm likely to scratch build an interior for this.

Congratulations. I just got one in a trade a few months ago and am waiting to build it. It's been said before but I'll say it again--We need a new tool 67 and 68 Camaro kit!!!!

Later-

Agreed 100% ! Had to open it as soon as it came in the mail. :wub: Oh the old unopened kit smell! Thinking pro street maybe not quite sure yet... :)

I checked the chassis from the AMT pro street 66 Nova, The wheel base is dead on! the only thing would be narrowing up the floor pan a small bit & trim the rear corners for a snug fit. .

Edited by Gramps2u

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...