Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Got this at ollies.  WOW it has so many amazing vehicles and nice detailed pictures and information on them.  Pretty good for small references, and of course i took a pic of my fav car :D Looks alot nicer in person - nice glossy pages with over 1000 images. 

IMG_1050.thumb.jpg.fc198b4c02992e1b60937b38b5a73d2e.jpgIMG_1048.thumb.jpg.1e184ad9ee3db1b125e365c7b3267227.jpgIMG_1049.thumb.jpg.1b11a8417e5c061c5eb876f0577d9007.jpg

• Like 2

Finally bit the bullet and acquired a 1/16 Revell VW split-window Bug. Already have both of the 1/16 Revell Porsche kits, just need to snag a Microbus and some Fuchs wheels now. OK price, but not considering the body shell is badly warped...which I can fix, of course. Looks like I'll be buying some 3D printed 911 and 4-cam 356 bits as well.

REVELL CLASSICS VW KAFER 1951-52 PLASTIC MODEL KIT 1:16 SCALE (IN BOX)

• Like 6

My new Iwata Eclipse airbrush came in the mail today.

I had an Eclipse airbrush years ago. Instead of buying another one, or even just the parts I needed when I broke it, I wasted an insane amount of money trying other airbrushes. I hated them all. Paasche, Badger, a couple cheap Chinese knock-off Badgers, and finally I spent some big money on a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution. They all sucked.

I mean they worked fine, but I don't like that fiddly little needle seat you have to use a wrench on to take it off and clean it. And the Harder and Steenbeck Evolution was amazing, but every 5th time I took it apart to clean it out the o-ring would tear and then I was down until I could get another one. After the 3rd o-ring in 2 months I finally ponied up and got another Eclipse.

End rant. :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ctruss53 said:

My new Iwata Eclipse airbrush came in the mail today.

I had an Eclipse airbrush years ago. Instead of buying another one, or even just the parts I needed when I broke it, I wasted an insane amount of money trying other airbrushes. I hated them all. Paasche, Badger, a couple cheap Chinese knock-off Badgers, and finally I spent some big money on a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution. They all sucked.

I mean they worked fine, but I don't like that fiddly little needle seat you have to use a wrench on to take it off and clean it. And the Harder and Steenbeck Evolution was amazing, but every 5th time I took it apart to clean it out the o-ring would tear and then I was down until I could get another one. After the 3rd o-ring in 2 months I finally ponied up and got another Eclipse.

End rant. :)

Yeah the eclipse is a power house for the price. Mines still going strong after almost 2 years, and never had to change a O ring. I did convert mine to a .5 though, but thinking of getting another one eventually to have a .3.  I probably should just use my PS-290 procon more since it’s a .5 with fan pattern nozzle, and just convert my eclipse back to a .3 lol. If you’re ever in the market for a .2 the procon PS-270 is fantastic, and only $100 at spray gunner. I use it strictly for super thin metallics chrome etc. procon series made in the same factory as iwata in Japan so all great quality. 

5 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Yeah the eclipse is a power house for the price. Mines still going strong after almost 2 years, and never had to change a O ring. I did convert mine to a .5 though, but thinking of getting another one eventually to have a .3.  I probably should just use my PS-290 procon more since it’s a .5 with fan pattern nozzle, and just convert my eclipse back to a .3 lol. If you’re ever in the market for a .2 the procon PS-270 is fantastic, and only $100 at spray gunner. I use it strictly for super thin metallics chrome etc. procon series made in the same factory as iwata in Japan so all great quality. 

I'm in the market for some new airbrushes.

Sure would like to see some examples of the work these produce for you...maybe start a thread somewhere else?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Spraygunner pointed me to Procon when I was asking them if anyone sold airbrushes that were the same design as the Eclipse. That design with the large needle seat that doesn't screw in, it is just a compression fit. Procon airbrushes have that fiddly little needle seat like the Paasche and Badger air brushes, that I hate, so I didn't buy one.

9 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I'm in the market for some new airbrushes.

Sure would like to see some examples of the work these produce for you...maybe start a thread somewhere else?

Bill, if you need a great all purpose airbrush that just works, is easy to maintain, and will never let you down, get an Eclipse. They are amazing.

Now if you need to do really fine detail work you might need something else, or you'll need the .3mm needle set for the Eclipse. The Eclipse I bought has the .5mm needle set, so it isn't great for the fine details. But it is amazing for standard work.  I can't even express how good the eclipse is. It frustrates me when I think about how much money I wasted trying to find something else. I should have just fixed the one I had.  

• Thanks 1

Bill, all of the Iwata Eclipse line (HP-BS, gravity, HP-SBS, side gravity, and HP-CS, gravity) come with a 0.35 mm needle / nozzle. The optional needle nozzle set for them is the 0.5 mm set. Only the Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS (syphon) comes standard with a 0.5 mm needle / nozzle.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Bill Eh? said:

Bill, all of the Iwata Eclipse line (HP-BS, gravity, HP-SBS, side gravity, and HP-CS, gravity) come with a 0.35 mm needle / nozzle. The optional needle nozzle set for them is the 0.5 mm set. Only the Iwata Eclipse HP-BCS (syphon) comes standard with a 0.5 mm needle / nozzle.

My gravity feed Eclipse came with the .5mm needle.

Yeah I think I’ve seen them here and there with a .5. I had got mine off Amazon new and it came with a .3 so maybe there’s two versions of the same brush out lol. I’ve even seen them packaged with the air hose too, with other extra stuff.

Edited by Dpate

31 minutes ago, Bill Eh? said:

What can I say. Apparently you and Iwata-Medea are in disagreement as to what comes standard with their Eclipse HP-CS   😃

I don't know. Maybe they are old stock?

I thought the gravity feed Eclipse only came with a .3mm needle as well. But this one I bought from Hobby Lobby has a .5mm needle.

I looked at buying a second Eclipse gravity feed online and I can't find them with the .5mm needle.

Maybe I got some super rare one that I can sell on eBay for $1000?  haha

• Haha 1

Today for my 75th, our youngest son (52) bought me this.. As I already have one and built it in Rothmans style decals, I've ordered some Bastos decals, used in the Belgian Rally Champs at the same period.

photo1-vi.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Went down to the Buckeye Classic show today and got a few old models to add to the stash.  The 72 GTO is a parts kit, I need the interior and roof to repair one I built as a kid 40 years ago.  

338FC313-8F45-4E89-98AC-932C80E11A02.jpeg

I like the Johan 72 Torino & the 2dr 77 Monaco...well done

1 minute ago, thatz4u said:

I like the Johan 72 Torino & the 2dr 77 Monaco...well done

Both are restorable..the Torino has some glue damage on the decklid, the Monaco has the hood glued shut, unpainted, good chrome..it's a '78 (year on plates)...maybe the Force 440 kit built w/o the police gear..

This one's a little unusual...a 1/25 paper model of a WW II German V2 rocket and its Hanomag SS100 tractor (which I figure makes it eligible for the "model car" category) and transporter/erector trailer. I have a thing for some 1/24-1/25 WW II military machines, scored a rare US-made blow-molded pair of "captured" V2s a while back, and having been interested in Von Braun and the Peenemunde project as a kid (which, of course led directly to America's space program), when this model came up, I had to have it. It might or might not be the basis for a copy scratched in styrene, if I live long enough, and the firing platforms for V2s are easy to build. It might also become the centerpiece of a diorama depicting captured German stuff in Europe. Anyway, if I live to be 140, I'll never be bored with "nothing to do".  ;)

Picture 1 of 5

Sweet deal here, a total of 4 engine kits, which is 8 engines, for around $30. I already had a bunch of these, but just recently realized one of the bellhousings is a ringer for a Hildebrandt (yes, not Halibrand) flathead engine-to-LaSalle gearbox adaptor. Too good a price to pass up, as one tree of the fairly recent repop (2 engines) goes for about $25 these days. Considering they were tooled in the 1960s, they are spectacular, and frankly, better than most of today's kit offerings. There are a few details omitted, a few inaccuracies, but all in all they're great for anyone building period cars.

Picture 1 of 7

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

This one's a little unusual...a 1/25 paper model of a WW II German V2 rocket and its Hanomag SS100 tractor (which I figure makes it eligible for the "model car" category) and transporter/erector trailer. I have a thing for some 1/24-1/25 WW II military machines, scored a rare US-made blow-molded pair of "captured" V2s a while back, and having been interested in Von Braun and the Peenemunde project as a kid (which, of course led directly to America's space program), when this model came up, I had to have it. It might or might not be the basis for a copy scratched in styrene, if I live long enough, and the firing platforms for V2s are easy to build. It might also become the centerpiece of a diorama depicting captured German stuff in Europe. Anyway, if I live to be 140, I'll never be bored with "nothing to do".  ;)

Picture 1 of 5

Sweet deal here, a total of 4 engine kits, which is 8 engines, for around $30. I already had a bunch of these, but just recently realized one of the bellhousings is a ringer for a Hildebrandt (yes, not Halibrand) flathead engine-to-LaSalle gearbox adaptor. Too good a price to pass up, as one tree of the fairly recent repop (2 engines) goes for about $25 these days. Considering they were tooled in the 1960s, they are spectacular, and frankly, better than most of today's kit offerings. There are a few details omitted, a few inaccuracies, but all in all they're great for anyone building period cars.

Picture 1 of 7

I get them when I find them , I like the cranks & cams 

• Like 1

Hit up a local model show/swap earlier, photos in Show coverage forum. Didn't get any car kits aside from these 2 old Pyro kits for $5, bought solely for the nostalgia factor as I had both when I was a kid. Did hit the ten strike on adding to my Space & Vintage Airfix collections tho!

IMG_20230318_171249225.jpg

• Like 3