Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

North West Short Lines the Chopper II. Cost as 1.5-2 kit type Round2 but earned back on reduced waste Plasticard.It is not childproof, but in most ways safer than the #11  or loose razor blade.
Highly recommended.

4263A521-8043-4AD6-9BE5-2E621A14F5DE.jpeg.5bd64b52414a0beafc6edc641a0f98e2.jpeg

• Like 3

I responded to another Kijiji ad! LOL. It was entitled “Airbrush Complete and Parts”. There was only a single, somewhat out of focus photo. It showed a plastic basket with some airbrush items in it: an Iwata-Medea name on a replacement parts package as well as the name Thayer and Chandler. These caught my attention enough to respond to this four-day old ad. My attached pics show what was actually included. I think that I did well with this purchase! All I know about the last pic is that these are Rapidograph components.

2023-03-31A.jpg

2023-03-31B.jpg

2023-03-31C.jpg

2023-03-31D.jpg

2023-03-31E.jpg

2023-03-31F.jpg

2023-03-31G.jpg

2023-03-31H.jpg

2023-03-31I.jpg

2023-03-31J.jpg

2023-03-31K.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/26/2023 at 9:51 AM, Mike C. said:

Got my Revell LA Street Chopper. and also got this Grim Reaper modified bike that someone must have lost interest in. The scratchbuilt forks would look interesting on the LA Street chopper. Defiantly gonna be using those drag bars.

revell-street-chopper-chrome-classic_1_5272b380784996802404daf9d00dc492.jpg

s-l1600 (10).jpg

I almost bid on that. It's very cool but I'm...over extended, both financially and kit wise. I took an inventory and found I have 36 1/8 or 1/6 bikes. 😕  Congrats on your win, and definitely post pics when you get going on it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bill Eh? said:

I responded to another Kijiji ad! LOL. It was entitled “Airbrush Complete and Parts”. There was only a single, somewhat out of focus photo. It showed a plastic basket with some airbrush items in it: an Iwata-Medea name on a replacement parts package as well as the name Thayer and Chandler. These caught my attention enough to respond to this four-day old ad. My attached pics show what was actually included. I think that I did well with this purchase! All I know about the last pic is that these are Rapidograph components.

Great score Bill. I'm jealous. You got some good stuff there. The first thing you need to do is get the one TC out of the red foam in the plastic case. The foam is deteriorating and it will mar the finish on the brush, if it hasn't already. Toss the foam and replace it with something.  Or at least put a barrier sheet of Saran wrap down first.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DPNM said:

Great score Bill. I'm jealous. You got some good stuff there. The first thing you need to do is get the one TC out of the red foam in the plastic case. The foam is deteriorating and it will mar the finish on the brush, if it hasn't already. Toss the foam and replace it with something.  Or at least put a barrier sheet of Saran wrap down first.

I just sent you a PM.

Got this 

Screenshot_20230401_224001_eBay.jpg.0718eadfa00d61128d53f9d333b22b83.jpg

My plan is to use it for when I start to build the bttf deloreans( i have 2 for each movie) and get to the final scene before the delorean is destroyed. I know it is not the correct locomotive but it is the only one avalible in 1/25 scale i know of.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2023 at 8:21 PM, espo said:

Maybe the DAP1688 is discontinued, and the internal inventory control says that the DAP 1699 supersedes it so the stores inventory treats it as one in the same. AI at work. 

Having worked in the parts biz for 40 years, that is exactly what happened. And happens all the time, from OE to aftermarket, and the same happens with our little hobby when Revell or Round2 reissues a kit, they assign a new kit number with the same basic kit inside.

On 3/31/2023 at 9:38 AM, Mr mopar said:

Got this yesterday what a tool ,Awesome for cutting doors open as you can see on the Freightliner  ,this is a Ultra sonic cutter from Phrozen , It only took me 2 min to cut the door open .

DSC05468.JPG

Sure beats that "hot knife" setup I bought in the 70's that basically melted the plastic.

28 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Monthly allotments from Salvinos JR and HobbyLink Japan.

received_1157898234896302.jpeg.90c3d0fb9c810286c95baffa70ab1e38.jpeg

20230331_114730.thumb.jpg.c2ff61c897c0ed3f6ef41e0f115c19a4.jpg

How are those Salvino kits, any better than their earlier attempts? I remember you being critical of the first kits they did and wonder if they have improved them enough for you to buy them now? Are you doing reviews of them?

13 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

How are those Salvino kits, any better than their earlier attempts? I remember you being critical of the first kits they did and wonder if they have improved them enough for you to buy them now? Are you doing reviews of them?

The NextGen cars are pretty decent, the effect of getting all the CAD data directly from NASCAR and the manufacturers.  The older stuff is still a bit more...stylized, and the universal fit chassis and all its foibles still exist.

On 3/31/2023 at 7:54 AM, Ulf said:

North West Short Lines the Chopper II. Cost as 1.5-2 kit type Round2 but earned back on reduced waste Plasticard.It is not childproof, but in most ways safer than the #11  or loose razor blade.
Highly recommended.

4263A521-8043-4AD6-9BE5-2E621A14F5DE.jpeg.5bd64b52414a0beafc6edc641a0f98e2.jpeg

One of my favorite tools!   I use it on every project.  I originally bought it to cut basswood for this project!

playhouse.jpg

On 3/30/2023 at 4:09 PM, Engine 51 said:

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered this spray booth. I got the optional 425 CFM motor. That option comes with a 5” discharge. I added an expander (5” to 6”) to make the duct 6” up and out thru the wall. I caulked the interior seams to seal it up a little better. It appears to be well made, looking forward to putting to work. 
Should be the last one I need to acquire. 

IMG_4955.jpeg

Best investment you made all year!   As you said, you buy good tools only once!   I have the 24" version and love it.  I kick myself for not buying it years earlier!

• Like 1

Local IPMS meet yesterday...one vendor apparently had difficulty selling kits in the recent past so he split them into parts like so many eBay sellers are doing. I found a number of items that a lot of people used to buy complete kits for: Moebius Ford pickup "big six" engine, Revell '70 Roadrunner "cop car" optional wheels, a couple of sets of Revell Dodge Charger front suspension parts that will "fill the empty space" on a couple of MPC Coronets, couple of sets of Revell tires made before they scrubbed the lettering off everything.  Also found a built Jo-Han early Hornet funny car, and a couple of other kits that will go on the NNL East sale pile...

20 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

Best investment you made all year!   As you said, you buy good tools only once!   I have the 24" version and love it.  I kick myself for not buying it years earlier!

Where did you purchase it? 

On 3/30/2023 at 4:09 PM, Engine 51 said:

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered this spray booth. I got the optional 425 CFM motor. That option comes with a 5” discharge. I added an expander (5” to 6”) to make the duct 6” up and out thru the wall. I caulked the interior seams to seal it up a little better. It appears to be well made, looking forward to putting to work. 
Should be the last one I need to acquire. 

IMG_4955.jpeg

Got this set up and have been putting it thru its paces. I am very pleased with its operation thus far. It does a great job of moving fumes (not a hint of paint odor in the shop). I will be using it a whole lot more in the near future as I am really backed up on my paint work.