Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

In the mail yesterday I got this 100% complete kit from E Bay ,seller said it was missing 8 parts , but a little looking in the box flaps found the missing parts , One of the ugliest show rods of all time ,But a show never the less !

DSC05470.JPG

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

In the mail yesterday I got this 100% complete kit from E Bay ,seller said it was missing 8 parts , but a little looking in the box flaps found the missing parts , One of the ugliest show rods of all time ,But a show never the less !

DSC05470.JPG

I wish I were that lucky to find one!

Finally got my resin '73 El Camino from another member (thank George). On the way home I swung by HL and picked a few more Deserter pickups (great for parts) and some other stuff. 

20230404_144341.thumb.jpg.24bcff864d1747a02c06b3979549c2bc.jpg

Edited by Mike C.
  • Like 2

On 3/30/2023 at 4:09 PM, Engine 51 said:

Finally pulled the trigger and ordered this spray booth. I got the optional 425 CFM motor. That option comes with a 5” discharge. I added an expander (5” to 6”) to make the duct 6” up and out thru the wall. I caulked the interior seams to seal it up a little better. It appears to be well made, looking forward to putting to work. 
Should be the last one I need to acquire. 

IMG_4955.jpeg

One thing I am learning about this unit is that it looks like I will have to buy filters in bulk. The airflow in this thing really plugs the filters fast….but that’s OK, it’s doin it’s job. 

Edited by Engine 51

5 hours ago, Engine 51 said:

One thing I am learning about this unit is that it looks like I will have to buy filters in bulk. The airflow in this thing really plugs the filters fast….but that’s OK, it’s doin it’s job. 

The filters are standard household items available at Lowes, Home Depot etc.   Check eBay and you can buy a case at a time cheaper.

Been after one of these for a while:

IMG_4247.JPG.b094e37e64e11600aeb26c8d7a9c1a5e.JPG

Didn't realise it's a reboxof the Aoshima kit - thought it was odd AMT offering a kit at 1/24. Did they do any/many others?

It's not as detailed as the Tamiya version, but their LS400 is fairly rare. I'm planning to use the RHD dashboard etc from the Tamiya Toyota Celsior to recreate a fairly close replica of the 1992 LS400 I have at 1:1. The Aoshima kit having a sunroof will make it a little more accurate.

9 minutes ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Been after one of these for a while:

IMG_4247.JPG.b094e37e64e11600aeb26c8d7a9c1a5e.JPG

Didn't realise it's a reboxof the Aoshima kit - thought it was odd AMT offering a kit at 1/24. Did they do any/many others?

It's not as detailed as the Tamiya version, but their LS400 is fairly rare. I'm planning to use the RHD dashboard etc from the Tamiya Toyota Celsior to recreate a fairly close replica of the 1992 LS400 I have at 1:1. The Aoshima kit having a sunroof will make it a little more accurate.

did you get the pe pieces in the kit? if not mine had 2 so i've got a spare.

Stopped by my local hobby shop and found out that they started carrying a new brand of airbrush paint, the AK Interactive Real Colors line. It's a lacquer paint with a great selection of colors from the WWII era. Was looking for suitable colors for some hot rod builds I have planned, so picked up a few jars and did a test spray out last night. Initial reaction was very positive; thinned with a small amount of cheap lacquer thinner and laid down nice. Curious to hear if others have used this brand and what the outcomes have been. Also tested some Tamiya 2mm tape, which passed with no bleed through or ragged edges.

AK Sprayouts.jpg

I'm visiting my sister in newcastle this week and yesterday i found a brand of paint called montana that is seemingly aimed for graffiti. I've seen some of the chrome paint sprayed on a few walls around here and it seems to be a reasonably decent chrome effect so I've bought a tin of gold and chrome to try under my hok pearls and candies. Its an acrylic paint and was £8 a tin from hobby craft. I'll not be back home for another 10 days but will post pics of how then. I'm hopeful it does what i want. I also bought some tamiya weathering powders and a new pe saw set with much finer teeth than tamiyas versions. I've found the tamiya saws are just a little too course for cutting thin resin prints so maybe the fine teeth will reduce that happening. They also had tamiya bottle paints for half price if you are near one of these stores. I think later today or maybe tomorrow I'm going to an actual model shop which i'm looking forward to. It'll be nice to see what I'm buying before paying

Went to Hobby Lobby for some evergreen polystyrene rod, and found the freshly issued 2021 Charger kit. It was the only one they had. Odd thing being I was at this same store Monday and I know it wasn't there then. Cheaper than the Hobby shop had it priced when  I was in Ft.Wayne Ind  on Tuesday!

DSC07270.JPG

• Like 1

I was in a real honest to goodness model shop today. Bought some more tools and a load of weathering paints but i could have easily spent every penny i have in it. As it happens i limited myself to one basket but i managed to squeeze in a tamiya skyline 2000gt, tamiya 88 porsche 911 turbo (i have the blackbox engine file that fits this already) and the recent revell t3 bus.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ranma said:

Went to Hobby Lobby for some evergreen polystyrene rod, and found the freshly issued 2021 Charger kit. It was the only one they had. Odd thing being I was at this same store Monday and I know it wasn't there then. Cheaper than the Hobby shop had it priced when  I was in Ft.Wayne Ind  on Tuesday!

DSC07270.JPG

Rick, my HL also had the new Charger stickered for $29.99.  Did a double take when I saw that - never expected to walk out of a store paying less than $20 for one of these.

Also grabbed the lone '64 Cutlass hardtop kit that they had at mine.  They had a single mangled one over a year ago, and I hadn't seen another one till the other day.  (The convertibles are always crowding the shelves)

I stopped at a local shop today and picked up a bottle of Testors liquid cement, three bottles of paint and some 1/16" aluminum tubing (If I have any, I couldn't find it) and some K&S Special Shapes 3/64" brass tube. I buy the 3/64" and 1/32" tube, whenever I see it. In the mail I got 5) .065"/1.65 mm carbide bits. I like them for making holes for 1/16" rod or tube, because it's loose enough to fit, easily but, not so loose as to create a visible gap.

• Like 1

I got a bunch of stuff this week.  Sorry no pics.

World Rally Blue paint from Splash for a couple of Impreza Rally car kits I want to build.

BBS Gold paint from Splash for those same rally car kits.

I also received some Mission Models Paints to try out on a hot rod I am building.

I received a mk3 VW Golf model kit from Scale Riders.

And finally I got 3 cans of my favorite gloss clear spray paint. Mr Super Clear UV Cut Gloss Spray.  This stuff is seriously good. I keep 3-4 cans of it on hand at all times.