Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

Pretty sweet 3-fer deal. I already had a Europa and a couple of Sevens, but I've been wanting another Europa to do a Lotus 47 race car, and another Seven to do a Donkervoort derivative..

Picture 1 of 7

1966 Lotus Europa Racing Car Type-47 race racing g wallpaper ...   

Donkervoort - Lap record Nürburgring | ロータス7, 車, スーパーセブン

EDIT: Oh my. Looks like I'm going to need another Europa...

Lotus Europa Racing - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community ...

...or two. 

Racing A Lotus Makes Everything Else Look Ginormous

Or three.

1969 Lotus Europa 62R | Lotus car, Fast sports cars, Small cars

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 6

On 3/8/2023 at 9:28 AM, Bill Eh? said:

Tom, the print looks really well done. What will you use to fill in the missing components? The hood is integral with the body, and yet the chassis is open where the engine would be located.

I am marveling at how well done it is!  The fact that I'm not scrambling for interior parts etc. Cars with no printed dashboards just scare me.  I won't be opening up that hood, wouldn't risk breaking my first 3D printed kit.  I understand they can be brittle.  And there's nothing worth scratch building under the hood.  I probably will use something like the Mitsu 2.6 from a Dodge D50 pickup kit that will look okay from the underside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, espo said:

Your credit card must be still smoldering. 

Little bit, but Pepsi & tax money lol. The stuff I recently posted that came in before this, and with this stuff it was close to bout a $1,000. Surprisingly though some of that was pricey shipping from plaza Japan, and Hiroboy.  The plaza Japan order was about $680 that’s with like $170+ shipping which compared to buying all this out the states you’d spend way more money. Lot of the Tamiya tape was .89cents, and that 1:6 scale bike was like $50 which sales for $100+ everywhere else. The scale hobbyist order wasn’t suppose to happen, but I thought I had the GT Supra - so that’s why I didn’t get it from plaza. That’s why it’s shrink wrapped in plastic - because no kit will come from plaza Japan wrapped but, $22 kit ended up costing $33 + shipping so I just added little more to it to justify the shipping from scale hobbyist. I’m pretty much done buying kits for now besides the new Tamiya super car coming out in April. But life has hit me hard at the same time with me recently getting a eviction notice because of my now ex etc etc. So I got to get all that sorted out, and with my soon to be 4 year old son. 

3 minutes ago, Dpate said:

Little bit, but Pepsi & tax money lol. The stuff I recently posted that came in before this, and with this stuff it was close to bout a $1,000. Surprisingly though some of that was pricey shipping from plaza Japan, and Hiroboy.  The plaza Japan order was about $680 that’s with like $170+ shipping which compared to buying all this out the states you’d spend way more money. Lot of the Tamiya tape was .89cents, and that 1:6 scale bike was like $50 which sales for $100+ everywhere else. The scale hobbyist order wasn’t suppose to happen, but I thought I had the GT Supra - so that’s why I didn’t get it from plaza. That’s why it’s shrink wrapped in plastic - because no kit will come from plaza Japan wrapped but, $22 kit ended up costing $33 + shipping so I just added little more to it to justify the shipping from scale hobbyist. I’m pretty much done buying kits for now besides the new Tamiya super car coming out in April. But life has hit me hard at the same time with me recently getting a eviction notice because of my now ex etc etc. So I got to get all that sorted out, and with my soon to be 4 year old son. 

Sorry to hear about your pending change of residence. I have been there and done that, even have the T-shirt. Take care of yourself and of course your son. Time will heal many things. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Pretty sweet 3-fer deal. I already had a Europa and a couple of Sevens, but I've been wanting another Europa to do a Lotus 47 race car, and another Seven to do a Donkervoort derivative..

Picture 1 of 7

1966 Lotus Europa Racing Car Type-47 race racing g wallpaper ...   

Donkervoort - Lap record Nürburgring | ロータス7, 車, スーパーセブン

EDIT: Oh my. Looks like I'm going to need another Europa...

Lotus Europa Racing - Page 2 - LotusTalk - The Lotus Cars Community ...

...or two. 

Racing A Lotus Makes Everything Else Look Ginormous

Or three.

1969 Lotus Europa 62R | Lotus car, Fast sports cars, Small cars

The Europa is one of my all-time favorite cars. Cool purchase.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2023 at 12:39 PM, Tom Geiger said:

I just received my first full 3D printed kit in the mail!  And it came to me from DiOlex Productions in the Ukraine.

This is a 1978 Corolla Deluxe wagon.  I had one of these back in the day.  Back when new US cars were troublesome right out of the gate, this car was flawless from new and fun to drive with the 5 speed.

I couldn't take any better photos than provided on the eBay listing so here they are!   The work is very very nice and everything fits together well.

corolla.jpg.ccea50b8328ed2c701e463143ff7eea5.jpg

Really nice Tom, didn't realise they did this one and it's great for it be available as a kit. Good to hear about the quality and fitment.

I only recently became aware of them from a Datsun 1200 2-door they also offer, which is a car I had at 1:1 until a couple of years ago. A UK seller has a couple in stock, a bit pricey for a 'normal' purchase but might be able to justify it when it's my birthday next month....

• Like 1

Couple of arrivals this week, coincidence that both are Toyotas by Aoshima:

IMG_4156.JPG.30307da8c9877b6062e93318e5b3e057.JPG

I enjoyed building another '90s Toyota people carrier, lowered on different wheels, and I'm thinking this one needs to go the same way. Unless I make something of it being the 4wd, jack it up and fit off-road tyres?....

IMG_4153.JPG.9c106302e82fbb8adfe6a0be72166006.JPG

I think this a late '80s version of the long-running Crown series. Not sure how likely it would have been to have the V8 as a police car, and I doubt I'll build it that way anyway. It doesn't have an engine anyway, but it is interesting to think at 1:1 these came with the wonderful V8 that I enjoy in my LS400.

IMG_4155.JPG.12280e60f2b07cb34486a9dbd41e4967.JPG

Also came with a badge/sticker and this little chap. I don't really 'do' figures, but maybe one day he could liven up a diorama?

Edited by Spottedlaurel
  • Like 1

Couple more Fernando Pinto kits of historic subjects

1936 Auto Union type C, a 620HP, mid-engined GP car, pretty spectacular for the period

Picture 1 of 2

And a 1955 Bugatti Type 251 GP car, a fascinating piece of engineering with its mid-transverse-mounted straight-8 engine designed by Gioacchino Columbo, well known for his work at Ferrari. It only ran once, at the 1956 French GP, and was not successful.

Picture 1 of 2

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO
  • Like 5

After all these years I have finally got a plastic kit of a Holden. It has basic chassis detail but well done, pre-wired distributor, metal transfers, looks like Zero flash,

accurate body proportions.

The way the kit is packaged and presented is outstanding ! The box is very solid and hinged,all the parts are well separated ( no crushed & distorted bodyshell ). I paid $69 Aus.

With the cost of a Craftsman "64 Galaxie kit ( which is curbside) at $60 Aus. This kit is a bargain.

Holden HQ-01.jpg

Holden HQ-02.jpg

Holden HQ-03.jpg

• Like 3

There was a Phoenix model swap meet today.  I sold 4 kits, but bought 3, so I hardly reduced my stash.  With all the 3D printed engines available now, and wheel/tires to choose from, the Rolls should make a fun restorod.  For some reason I like those BMWs, this Alpina turbo is sweet.  The Austin Healey is the multiple body parts era, but has an engine, and it's different.  Can't have too many tools and decals.

IMG_5677.thumb.jpg.d384d5bf556f778c62505aa6208696dd.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stitchdup said:

do you have a link for that shop, theres nothing showing for it on google

No I don't. I tried looking myself when I got it but found nothing either. I got this body off of a general FB model site from what, I assume, was not the maker.

I did find several of these bodies on EBay though by looking up "resin type 3 VW".

I'd also like to see if there is a link that exists and what else they sell if anybody knows.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

1 minute ago, Modlbldr said:

No I don't. I tried looking myself when I got it but found nothing either. I got this body off of a FB model site. I did find several of these bodies on EBay though by looking up "resin type 3 VW".

I'd also like to see if there is a link that exists and what else they sell if anybody knows.

Later-

I'll just get the file on cults, i can print my own then.

• Like 1