Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

went to my club meeting and was given about 500 magazines, mostly car craft and hot rod from the late 80's and 90's. this just might put me over the 9,000 mark in mags. have to sort out the duplicates though. my goal is to get to 10,000 by the years end, my wifes goal is to have a HUGE bonfire !!!

I hardly ever buy stuff anymore. But....

I have been carrying around the left over parts from the Young American dragster I built as a kid. Figure close to 40 years ago. I probably had enough to recreate it. I lost out on a lot of E-bay bids on a boxed original. When the reissue came out I told my wife I was planning to finally get one. This is what was on the table when I came home from work. That there is a good woman.

http://www.fotki.com'>Hosted on Fotki

The reissue and my collection of parts.

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

1/24th is actually larger than 1/25th.

This is a 1/24 scale kit and looking at it with the cover up, I can't wait to get into it. I knew 1/24 was smaller than I normally build (1/25) but I didn't think by that much. I also knew the Mini was a tiny car, but I didn't think it would be this small. Here, by comparison, is a picture of the body for the Mini side-by-side with a 1/25 59 Chevy I built this summer.

D'oh. This is why I shouldn't post past 1am.

Well, there you go. Even more astonishing how tiny this car was in real life and how small the model will be (or how large the 59 Chevy was, take your pick).

amnesty_cars-vi.jpg

Here's two of my models, both 1/24 scale. At first I thought one of them must be out of scale. Then I found this photo...

70Fiat500L2-vi.jpg

Truth is stranger than fiction. Both the current Mini and current Fiat 500 are larger than the originals.

Edited by Tom Geiger

There is NO WAY that's a real car. LOL Power Wheels maybe. :blink:

Absolutely a real Fiat 500. They were that small. That photo was from an eBay Motors ad selling the Fiat from a few years ago. I remember being in Rome in 1968 and they were all over the place, they made a VW Beetle look enormous!

Absolutely a real Fiat 500. They were that small. That photo was from an eBay Motors ad selling the Fiat from a few years ago. I remember being in Rome in 1968 and they were all over the place, they made a VW Beetle look enormous!

Yeah, it's hard to realize how small a lot of the old "mini" cars were - especially compared to today's standards.

Here is my daughter next to a Mini - look at the monster cars around it!

D2A47E80-3DBE-467A-AE68-FABCDE12078B-301

She's a cutie Erik! And she looks happy that you found her a car her own size! :)

Hmmm... I wouldn't mind having an original Mini and Fiat 500. I wonder if they'd both fit in one side of my two car garage?

BTW, my younger daughter has a new Fiat 500. My older daughter had to drive it for a few days last week and she said it was annoying how many people waved at her or commented on the car. My younger revels in it!

Yeah, it's hard to realize how small a lot of the old "mini" cars were - especially compared to today's standards.

Here is my daughter next to a Mini - look at the monster cars around it!

D2A47E80-3DBE-467A-AE68-FABCDE12078B-301

yet, as the box says "this car could seat comfortably four large British gentlemen or stout women". My dad was well over 6', 250lbs and my uncle is quite a bit bigger than him and it was true, they both fit comfortably in the front seat. I can't comment on the other two gentlemen (or stout women) though.

amnesty_cars-vi.jpg

Here's two of my models, both 1/24 scale. At first I thought one of them must be out of scale. Then I found this photo...

70Fiat500L2-vi.jpg

Truth is stranger than fiction. Both the current Mini and current Fiat 500 are larger than the originals.

Seeing the red one bought back a few memories, an Aunt of mine, who, how do I say this .... was a lady of slightly larger bodied than the average person, had a red 500 back in the 70's, it was a sight to see her squeeze herself in it .... poor litlle Fiat

Talking of the 500, I just won one off eBay, it will be done in Positano yellow, which was the colour of my first Fiat, not a 500, but a 128 1100 c.c, which i managed to get a Lancia 1500 twin cam engine in there .....

post-2058-0-26940100-1362941608_thumb.jp

Edited by GeeBee

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...