Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I had that ElCamino camper kit and the Mako shark ones as a kid...cool to see them again.

Indeed it was. I'd really like to find another El Camino with the camper shell. I have a local car model contest/swap meet coming up in May, perhaps I'll get lucky.

That Cougar ll was a pretty tough kit.

Agreed. I had forgotten all about it until looking through all the instruction sheets this morning. The box is jammed full of all sort of sheets, cars, armor, ships, aircraft and monsters (Aurora); fun stuff indeed.

Edited by Roadrunner

It looked kind of sad so I brought it home (from eBay):

16251570162_2d4e9e3aa3_c.jpg

It's a '61 (with - I think - '49 Ford wheels) but it's painted up like Joe Weatherly's '60. NASCAR compacts weren't exactly high points in anyone's career, including Joe's:

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/news-photo/february-19-1961-joe-weatherly-ended-up-in-this-predicament-news-photo/162839718

There's blue paint under the white - hope it isn't lacquer. Nothing's glued, thank goodness - now to decide how to redo it...

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Picked this '61 Tempest up recently. Ancient brushed-on paint, and the obligatory go-fast decals. Roll bar installed, too! ;-)

The book was a belated Christmas present from my kids. It came from a vendor in England. First published in 1970. I had never even heard of it until recently.

post-10758-0-17087300-1421026397_thumb.jpost-10758-0-51743500-1421026439_thumb.jpost-10758-0-42186500-1421026473_thumb.j

Edited by ToyLvr

A local hobby shop has a clearance every January so I make it a point to pick up kits that I normally wouldn't buy at retail price.So yesterday I bought a Fujimi Williams FW16(San Marino version) and a Revell Germany 2011 Mercedes DTM race car.I'll go back for more kits later.

It looked kind of sad so I brought it home (from eBay):

16251570162_2d4e9e3aa3_c.jpg

It's a '61 (with - I think - '49 Ford wheels) but it's painted up like Joe Weatherly's '60. NASCAR compacts weren't exactly high points in anyone's career, including Joe's:

162839718-february-19-1961-joe-weatherly

There's blue paint under the white - hope it isn't lacquer. Nothing's glued, thank goodness - now to decide how to redo it...

Cool buy Chris...

Picked this '61 Tempest up recently. Ancient brushed-on paint, and the obligatory go-fast decals. Roll bar installed, too! ;-)

Hmm. Speaking of NASCAR compacts:

Pontiac-Tempest-Daytona-vi.jpg

Maybe we should both build our scruffy little cars as Compact Class also-rans? (The Valiants mopped the floor with everybody else.)

Edited by ChrisBcritter

Pontiac-Tempest-Daytona-vi.jpg

Maybe we should both build our scruffy little cars as Compact Class also-rans? (The Valiants mopped the floor with everybody else.)

I was mostly interested in the little Tempest because it shares some parts with Chevy Corvair. Also, if you place them side-by-side, there's definitely a family resemblance.

I was mostly interested in the little Tempest because it shares some parts with Chevy Corvair. Also, if you place them side-by-side, there's definitely a family resemblance.

True...only the Tempest had a wild drive-train design front engine and rear trans-axle set up....not to mention the Tempest had a slant 4cyl engine which was 1/2 of a 389ci V-8 basically.

I love the Compact Class races, especially since the Valiants took the first seven places. The last one, driven by Richard Petty, wrecked out and didn't finish. The races were run in 1960-2. I am looking for any info anyone may have, especially video. I do have a lot of original articles and such, so I can help too!

over the past week or so I have accumulated a 69 super bee [ the one molded in blue metal flake, sealed], one of the GMC step side pick up kits [semi built, and none of the custom parts, but for cheap], an IH CO-4070a, revell marmon, and an AMT Alaskan hauler, also hit hobby lobby the other day and they finally had a 1/12 foose Camaro kit, so one coupon later, it's in the stash with the other two.

Picked thi stuff up over past few weeks. The display cases came from Ollie's. The 300, wheels, and Foose Impala from Tower Hobbies. The paint and, glue and tape came from Scale Hobbyist. The decals are from Penwagon and the Porsche and Mustang from eBay.

DSCN6404-vi.jpg

Why would you want so many dups of the same kit?

that is an age old question however in my situation I like to have at least two kits when Im building the way I do in case I lose a part or for trucks you can use the bed for a trailer that matches the truck. I just like having a back up if I mess up on a kit like opening up the doors you can use the other kit for the doors and the original kit for the body and not have to add strip styrene to straighten up the door openings. some like the same kit cause its there fav car or the kit is so easy and care free to put together.

Edited by Darren B

Got these aluminum wheel discs from ebay. made by Parts by Parks. Very nice item. I suppose I could use them to replace the crummy wheel covers on the Vette I'm working on but I think I will save them for Studebaker salt car that is next on my list.

gottodayandvette001_zps4bdb98f3.jpg

Very nice discs Ray...

White paint and clearcoat came off, blue is coming off (second bath using fresh purple stuff), no lacquer damage. Best of all: The flat black on the chassis and interior all came off! B)

Why would you want so many dups of the same kit?

some folks have ideas for several builds off the same kit, sometimes for using resin bodies. I know someone who has built over 20 of the '53 Ford pickup kit. Others know that specific kits have parts they would like to use in the future on other builds. For instance, I have a dozen of the 1970 Chevy Impala kit bought cheap at shows over the years. They will be used for parts to restore my old original run of 1968-72 Chevys. I have a bunch of the AMT '41 Plymouth kit, bought for the flathead six engine to use in other projects.

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...