Model Cars Magazine Forum

What did you get today? (Model Car Related Items)

I have been tentatively keeping my eyes peeled for one of these for a while.

I finally decided to drop the hammer on one.

There is a kind of funny story that goes along with it.

DSCN5590DSCN5591

I found this on ebay as an incomplete kit.

Most of the important parts are there.

The only big thing that I could see that was missing was the glass.

I struggled a little to tell in the photos whether or not the stock grille was there, but there were 2 grilles included so I assumed that one would be the stock article.

To my dismay, when the package came today, there were only 2 custom grilles in the box.

Well, not being the type to worry about these things I told myself that I would merely keep my eyes peeled for a grille.

Just out of curiosity, when I got home from work, I thought I would do a quick ebay check & lo & behold a seller had a stock grille, & front & rear bumpers up for auction with only 52 minutes left!

I threw a quick bid up on the grille & won.

I won't tell you that the kit or the grille were cheap........because they weren't, but they were within my comfort zone.

If anyone is interested in the trailer, I may do a trade for a glass set for an original MPC '68, '69 or '70 coronet.

Of course I will need to do a parts inventory to see if everything is there first.

Steve

I have been tentatively keeping my eyes peeled for one of these for a while.

I finally decided to drop the hammer on one.

There is a kind of funny story that goes along with it.

DSCN5590DSCN5591

I found this on ebay as an incomplete kit.

Most of the important parts are there.

The only big thing that I could see that was missing was the glass.

I struggled a little to tell in the photos whether or not the stock grille was there, but there were 2 grilles included so I assumed that one would be the stock article.

To my dismay, when the package came today, there were only 2 custom grilles in the box.

Well, not being the type to worry about these things I told myself that I would merely keep my eyes peeled for a grille.

Just out of curiosity, when I got home from work, I thought I would do a quick ebay check & lo & behold a seller had a stock grille, & front & rear bumpers up for auction with only 52 minutes left!

I threw a quick bid up on the grille & won.

I won't tell you that the kit or the grille were cheap........because they weren't, but they were within my comfort zone.

If anyone is interested in the trailer, I may do a trade for a glass set for an original MPC '68, '69 or '70 coronet.

Of course I will need to do a parts inventory to see if everything is there first.

Steve

Cool score! I'm jealous (while I wait for my Modelhaus repop).

I believe the glass from a common AMT '70 SuperBee should fit. Common roots, and all that.

If you'd had to, you might have been able to make do with the grille from an MPC '69 Charger 500. After all, it was nothing more than a '68 Coronet grille.

Cool score! I'm jealous (while I wait for my Modelhaus repop).

I believe the glass from a common AMT '70 SuperBee should fit. Common roots, and all that.

If you'd had to, you might have been able to make do with the grille from an MPC '69 Charger 500. After all, it was nothing more than a '68 Coronet grille.

I toyed with the idea of using the the glass from the '70 Super Bee kit in my '69 Coronet but I have a suspicion that it may share the new glass with the AMT '68 Road Runner kit & it just didn't seem to fit quite right.

I could probably make it work with a little fiddling.

Just out of curiosity, I checked my '69 Charger 500 kit & you're right, it looks like the same grille.

Only problem is, it has the "Charger 500" script molded into it.

It would be a real pain to remove it without damaging the fine grille members.

Water under the bridge anyway.

The original grille is on it's way.

Steve

Ouch $$$$$$

I think i have a front bumper and grille.

MIGHT have the glass.

Will ck ..but might be the 1st of the week

No need to worry about the grille or bumper Bill, but I would be willing to work a deal if you find some good glass.

Yeah, it was a bit painful to the wallet to purchase this one, but after seeing a couple of other ones go for well over $200.00 over the past couple of weeks, I think I did alright.

The body, hood, bumpers, tail lights & all of the interior parts are pretty much pristine.

As with the '69 that I built, all of the guts would come from a modern kit anyway.

Steve

Buying partial can be saving tactic because sooner or later spares usually turn up and most arent after what you are after.

Great buy btw,i could trade you the glass for the hood :P

I think i will have to resort to resin for the hood on my 69.

Just out of curiosity, I checked my '69 Charger 500 kit & you're right, it looks like the same grille.

Only problem is, it has the "Charger 500" script molded into it.

It would be a real pain to remove it without damaging the fine grille members.

Steve

Not a problem. You make a mold, cast TWO of them, cut them in the middle and just use the two plain sides. The thing's symmetrical if I'm not mistaken. B)

• ranma changed the title to Bought two totes with model's in them at the US 127 Garage sales:: here's what was inside of them...