Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghost Kits - Shown But Never Released

Casey

James, jus remember Chrysler has always played EXTREME "Hardball " with their "Take " on anything concerning the company . I'm still in a quandary over the time Chrysler was solely responsible for the sudden cancellation of a 1987 Re- issue of the old Hogan's hero jeep . I also was in Raleigh North Carolina when U S Customs agents raided vendors and confiscated any and ALL Chrysler memorabilia at a large swap meet . This could have a bearing on any new Chrysler models . Generally speaking, "Prototype " models usually don't have that strong a following as say a vintage production vehicle ...................

I'm pretty sure the Rampage actually made it into tooling of some sort, because it was a pending release long after the other kits were canceled. If the complete tooling exists Round 2 should pour some plastic into it and see what comes out. Being a Skill Level 3, it's a full detail kit that's probably on-par with their '06-'08 Charger.

It can tell you that the Rampage never even got near the tooling stage. In 2007 when those kits were planned and announced Lindberg and Chrysler had a very close relationship. Within a year the Auto industry was in crisis mode, by the time the restructuring was over all the old friends at Chrysler were long gone. Once Fiat took over product licensing became a whole new ballgame. Hopefully Round 2 will update or redo the Lindberg website but I'm sorry to say that the Rampage kit will never happen from Round 2 or the New Chrysler.

-Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I would LOVE to get my hands on that Regal kit as well as a couple or 6 of the Revell CRX kits!!

I second this, every time I see those photos of the Cutlass I get so bummed. It seems like a no-brainer to me, so many would buy that Cutlass / pre-order it by the caseload. :(

I haven't seen it on this thread, just a brief mention in the "missing Pocher" thread, but this is the Ferrari F50 as shown in the 1995 Pocher catalogue. There is some speculation as to why it was never produced, but the most common idea is that this prototype was stolen before the tooling was completed.

k62_zpsa3d943f8.jpg

I am sure it was I saw one on a diorama in MPLS. done by the model club there back in the 70's.

Hey Junior,

You saw right!! One of our club members from way, way back by the name of Mark Doroff scratchbuilt the garbage truck and someone from AMT bought it off him to use as a display prototype for the kit. Too bad it never came to fruition!

• 1 month later...

The 1967 Auto World catalog mentions the MPC Miller "91", as well as the MPC "Stilleto", a show car commissioned by Bob Larivee and built by Ron Gerstner. The same catalog also mentions an AMT Porsche 911 in 1/25 scale.

Mark...interesting info in your response about that AMT Porsche 911. When I was doing commissioned work for AMT in the mid 1970's, I saw the 1/10th scale wooden buck for the 911 sitting on top of a desk in either the Engineering or Art Dept. I vaguely remember an explanation of a cancelled project. Porsches at the time were of little interest to me so I didn't ask any further questions.

In later years, I just presumed it was planned as a continuation of the Trophy Series lineup (300 SL, Avanti, Cobra et al), which would have put the intro sometime in 1966. but your quote above is the first definitive proof I've read that links it to that specific time period. I think my earliest AW catalog is 67 1/2 or '68, so I just probably missed the 'announcement' by a few months.

Thanks..TIM

It was never released as you said earlier. Here's the story, 'bout halfway down the page:

http://www.bonediggers.com/2-1/wlazlo/wlazlo.html

The Bonediggers link didn't work for me (too bad, it was a great website) I remember hearing back in the day was that the 1/10th scale wood masters for the Garbage Truck body were under development just as AMT began a prolonged strike with the UAW who represented their Troy, Michigan work force. While the factory was shut down, the HVAC was shut down, and the wood master in the engineering department warped in the humid Michigan late spring weather. That combined with a less than stellar reception from the wholesale distribution channels served to kill the project.

TIM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So many of these mentioned proposed kits would have been so cool. The three I would have bought in a heart beet are, Polar Light's '54 Corvette Nomad show car, AMT's '50 Studebaker, and IMC's Dodge L series cab over.

Speaking of the Polar Lights Corvette Nomad. I wish someone would do one of its companions, the '54 Corvette Corvair show car.

As far the JoHan's '69 Fury police car. The first Auto World catalog I ever got, and still have, shows a picture of this kit. I'm pretty sure it also appeared in '72 besides. That I'd have to check. I wonder what happened if you tried ordering one. Did they just send you JoHan's '68 instead?

And what happen to the MPC Stiletto show car? I remember buying vending machine trading cards of different custom cars in the late 1960's, early 70's. And I had the card with that car on it. And it did mention something on about MPC models owning or offering it as a kit. If that one ever hit the selves, I'm sure I would have gone for it. I still might today.

Ah... It's a shame. Not only were there those proposed models that were never offered, so they can never be reissued. But, how about the great kits where they messed with the tooling and we'll never see back? Sad.

R. Scott