Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghost Kits - Shown But Never Released

Casey

And what happen to the MPC Stiletto show car? I remember buying vending machine trading cards of different custom cars in the late 1960's, early 70's. And I had the card with that car on it. And it did mention something on about MPC models owning or offering it as a kit. If that one ever hit the selves, I'm sure I would have gone for it. I still might today.

Kinda looks like Roth's Wishbone, but uglier. :wacko:

StilettoPromoShot.JPG

More discussion about this particular kit found here: http://coffincorner.proboards.com/thread/7629

That's the card Casey! I know the car is kind of ugly. But.... And I'm ashamed to say this. I kind of like it and know I would have built one in the day. Today I'd buy and build one for nostalgia sake if nothing else.

R. Scott (aka Uncle Scott)

Note: I never claimed I was sane or have good taste.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reading another "brand" model magazine from 2001. In there, they mentioned Polar Lights canceling their announced plans to offer a model of the 1954 Corvette "Waldorf" Nomad. As I mentioned in another posting on early Corvette models, that and the '54 Corvette Corvair fastback coupe, are two kits I would love to see. What a shame to know we came so close to the Nomad at least. I wonder why it got canceled? And is there any chance we could get Round 2 to revive the idea?

Scott Aho

• 5 months later...

These may have been described already:

AMT first announced their 1927 Model T kit as a ROADSTER, not the Touring Car. MPC announced, at the HIAA Trade Show in Chicago, in January 1966, a model kit of the 1928 Miller 91 Race Car, which won Indianapolis that year with the legendary Louie Meyer (later of Meyer-Drake Offenhauser) but never produced it. AMT, in 1972, announced a 1/25 scale 1922 Ahrens Fox piston pumper fire engine, again not produced. Revell actually tooled up a 1/4 scale Chevy 283cid V8 engine, full visible, even ran test shots, but the kit was never released for sale (The Model Car Builders Museum in Salt Lake City has a nearly complete set of the test shot parts!). IMC's 1/25th scale Lola T70 Can Am car very nearly didn't make it--it was announced at HIAA (forerunner to today's iHobby) in 1967, but the kit did not arrive until 1970 or 1971.

AMT's Peterbilt 359 "California Hauler" was first announced at HIAA in 1967, and re-announced in 1969, and again in 1969. IMC showed sample kits (built) of their Dodge Tilt Cab semi-tractor in 1969--AMT again showed their promotional painting of the Pete, and apparently were shocked into action to tool it up at long last! Monogram Models did all the design work for a Waterhouse-style Convertible Victoria version of their 1932 Cadillac Model 452 V16 kit, but never tooled it up. JoHan was strongly rumored to have been working on a 1932 Pierce Arrow V12 Dual Cowl Phaeton kit in their Gold Cup Series of Classic Cars, but it never did see the light of day as a kit. AMT also did all the pattern work for a circa 1974 Porsche 911 coupe (I saw the 1/10 scale tooling patterns on my first visit to their Troy MI facility in 1975, but again, they decided not to tool it up for production!

And, AMT Corporaton seriously considered doing a 3in1 Customizing kit off of their 1957 Ford Custom 300 Tudor Sedan promo back in 1957-58, even shot several tests of the body in styrene, but again, never produced (Modelhaus did their resin off of one of those rare test shots!).

Art

The side panel of the AMT '62 Corvair (and SMP '62 Valiant) Styline kits list the other kits in the series...at the bottom of the list is "El Camino". Presumably this would have been a third issue of the 1960 kit with Stylizing parts added (there was a straight reissue of the original version in 1961). Between production of promotional models, toy store frictions, and kits in '60 and '61, the El Camino tool was probably shot even at that point.

The Jo-Han 1969 kit "sell sheet" lists 1969 GTX and Cadillac convertibles, neither of which were produced. The 1969 Auto World catalog lists the GTX convertible also, not a Roadrunner convertible as I had previously posted.

Aurora was planning a 1/16 426 Hemi for their "Racing Scenes" series. 1/8 scale masters were made of the parts, but it never progressed past that. I believe someone used to offer resin copies of these back in the 90's.

I've seen the test shots of the Revell 1/4 scale 283 Chevy and they looked great! I don't know why they never issued the kit. I know they had a deal with Chrysler at the time and did the slant 6 engine, maybe that had something to do with it?

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone verify the story that AMT was going to produce a Continental Mk III for 1969, and how far they got with it?

Similarly, were there aborted plans for a '57 or '58 Plymouth 3-in-1/Trophy Series kit in the early '60s to be like the '57 Ford and '58 Impala (opening doors, steerable wheels, etc.)?

Edited by ChrisBcritter

The Floride, the Matra, and this McLaren were never produced. The 512S, the Porsche, and the McLaren M7A were produced.

Heller also announced an Almeras Bros. Porsche 930 Turbo, which never saw the light of day, but I can't find any picture right now.

It was the same car ESCI released, so that's probably why they cancelled it.

Back in the late 60s, Heller also announced a 1/24 Berliet Stradair, which would have been the correct transporter for the Matra.

It may thus be no coincidence that it was nixed as well.

• 2 weeks later...