Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ghost Kits - Shown But Never Released

Casey

It was a Full size. Much like the Cruisers here at teh time. And Yes, looked like twin grills.

It was definitely Not a Fuselage bodied car. (Satellite)

The Pic was a small black & White in a 70-72 era Auto World.

It was Identical to the drawing on the kit. The Detroit Tactical unit.

That was the Box art on almost every issue.

Only the original showed 2 departments on the top, and I believe the

other 2 separately on the ends.

I believe this was After the redesigned box art with only the Detroit Tactical unit on top

I know I should still have that issue, but finding it will be the fun!!!

It was a Full size. Much like the Cruisers here at teh time. And Yes, looked like twin grills.

It was definitely Not a Fuselage bodied car. (Satellite)

The Pic was a small black & White in a 70-72 era Auto World.

It was Identical to the drawing on the kit. The Detroit Tactical unit.

That was the Box art on almost every issue.

Only the original showed 2 departments on the top, and I believe the

other 2 separately on the ends.

I believe this was After the redesigned box art with only the Detroit Tactical unit on top

I know I should still have that issue, but finding it will be the fun!!!

The Fuselage cars are the '69-'73 C Body full sizes, Detroit Tactical Mobile used Fury's all through the Fuselage bodystyle, I'm trying to find the ad that I have, I've got over 500,000 files, it's here somewhere. Johan might have had plans to do another fullsize later on, but I know the one I saw was a '69 because I spent a few days searching to see whether it made it to production.

Nick

'nother one courtesy of yet another Dean Milano eBay listing:

"From Aurora Models, comes an original instruction sheet for the Carl Casper Undertaker plastic model kit in 1/25th scale PLUS a color photogaph of theprototype for the model that would've been next in the series- The Carl Casper Ghost. For some reason, the Ghost was never produced and the only evidence of it is this photo."

ghostcckit.jpg

Good stuff on that one, Phil. :)

If the MPC Wankel Engine Voting Booth was ever released, this is going in the obscure kit thread...but I don't think it ever was. Looks like it may have been based on the Carl Casper Phone Booth kit:

MPC72cat9.jpg

• 4 months later...

The MPC T-based buggy was not 1/20 scale. I've got that same catalog; the kit is listed as 1/25 scale, with a retail price of $2.25 (same as most other 1/25 scale MPC kits at that time). And, it was produced; MPC called it the "V-Rod". For reasons known only to someone at MPC, the "V-Rod" kit included a Corvair engine, and not the VW unit shown in the catalog...

MPCVrod.jpg

I still wonder if the V/Rod was supposed to be 1/20 scale at the start. No scale is listed for this kit even though the preceding page of the same catalog lists the scales for other kits shown, and the V/Rod's wheels and tires look an awful lot like those in the 1/20 Shalako Dune Buggy and some other 1/20 MPC buggy type kits.

• 2 weeks later...

Someone had posted on that topic about Johan making an announcement that they were going to come out with the 69 Fury kit. Also stated was that there was an actual picture of the kit in the 70/71 Auto World catalog.

I found my instruction sheet from the Johan 68' Fury kit. It illustrates what looks like a 69' Fury roof section.

This probably confirms that there was some plan to do a 69 or 70 Fury.

Someone on another board had mentioned about this picture, so I had to see for myself and they were right.

Here is the instruction sheet showing the picture.

post-633-0-19067100-1380511869_thumb.jpg

Fascinating about the '69 Fury...never heard that rumor. It's too bad a Fury of that era was never kittted..there have been a few small scale diecast '69s, I'd love to see a '70/71 Sport Fury GT kitted...or a '69 4dr sedan or '69 or '70 convertible.

Edited by Rob Hall

Someone (Dennis Doty, I think?) once told me AMT was going to make a Continental Mark III in 1969, but it was canceled - how far did they get with it? Any announcements or box art? Too bad; they could have based it off the T-bird tooling like the real car, which would have saved a few bucks...

Tom, it's really true ! I saw a couple of dealer brochures Okey did to entice the retail stores into some of his stuff. Yeah, I wasn't all keen on a Mercedes Rat rod myself , but the company was in such a shambles , I'm surprised the Turbine kits made it out or the Police car ....................

Here's a few from I-hobby 07 that got canceled soon after W-mart pulled out of the plastic kit market. There was a sixth box for a new Shelby GT350 but that got pulled down quickly after Revell announced one on the same day. I'm pretty sure the Challenger box got pulled soon after. I thought I got a photo of the Shelby box but I can't find it.

post-413-0-04276400-1380662946_thumb.jpg

Accurate Minatures' NASCAR 1999 Ford Taurus. Made it into their catalog, even made it into tooling, was never released. Test shots exist.

Possibly the best kit never issued!!! Also the best kit with the worse timing ever!!! I have a number of the kits....tooling was down to very minor tweaks. But the market for NASCAR dumped and AM was in trouble already.......bad combination......

Then AM II in Concord NC had the Cobras and roadster GS Vette announced and a few others in development that never even made it past good idea stage.

Here's a few from I-hobby 07 that got canceled soon after W-mart pulled out of the plastic kit market. There was a sixth box for a new Shelby GT350 but that got pulled down quickly after Revell announced one on the same day. I'm pretty sure the Challenger box got pulled soon after. I thought I got a photo of the Shelby box but I can't find it.

Man, I'd love to get ahold of the Dodge Demon and Rampage. I'm hoping Round 2 will release these eventually.

Back when Okey tried to resurrect Johan he did a brochure that showed a bunch of kits that he never released. The ones I remember best were the 1930s Chrysler and Mercedes done as rat rods. I think someone posted a jpg of that flyer here once.

The Luxo Rods? :wacko:

d3c14e4b-e8e8-49b6-8b6c-e8c1990abc41.jpg

Dave:

I'd love to see the test shots of the AM Taurus. I've heard of them for years but believed they were always wishful thinking.

I need to pull them out and document the contents......I am about to go on a long trip so it will not happen now.....but maybe a quick shot if I can.....when I get back I'll do a full on of all the trees etc.

I'm pretty sure the Rampage actually made it into tooling of some sort, because it was a pending release long after the other kits were canceled. If the complete tooling exists Round 2 should pour some plastic into it and see what comes out. Being a Skill Level 3, it's a full detail kit that's probably on-par with their '06-'08 Charger.