Model Cars Magazine Forum

Foose 1/12 Scale '69 Camaro

IMO the vinyl used for the tires is the problem. Maybe it had to be as soft as it is for demolding purposes, and while it's difficult to compare freshly molded tires to those molded 25 years ago, the new tires are noticeably softer. The tires in the 1/12 Shelby GT500 Mustang kit are much firmer, too, so I don't think it's an aging/chemical breakdown issue. Maybe it's a supplier issue, or maybe they were made softer for easier mounting of the optional wheels. In fairness, I recall the 1/12 Shelby GT500's tires are not exactly easy to install the wheels into, but the tradeoff is those tires returned to their original molded shape after stretching them a bit to get the wheels inside. Plus, they seem a bit thicker overall and were perfectly molded from the start.

One of the large diameter rear tires in my kit has some funky molding at the lip/edge, which doesn't allow it to sit evenly with the rest of the tire lip's circumference when the wheel halves are in place. There is only so much room for tires inside the wheelhouses, which you might remember from the very narrow Goodyear Eagle slicks included with previous issues, so I won't fault Revell for limiting the new lo-pro tires' width, but the tires in this kit are a major disappointment. Fortunately, there are other wheel and tire options available, and the balance of the kit is just as nice as it's always been, so there's still a lot to like about this kit. More on that later...

thanks for the review.except for the new decals..and wheels and tires it's pretty much the 'street machine' issue from the '90s

i do like the fact they included the decals for the scripts and emblems..otherwise drybrushing these things is near impossible

MCG pe set works better ,but costs a little extra

also the woodgrain decals for the interior are nice (if that rocks your boat).

i will be getting one ,and will probably build it into a 427 Yenko ,with the 1/12 Corvette Big Block..

they will be released over here (Holland)by mid Februari ..i hope..

Looks like the only changes they made minus the optional wheesl and tires , decals are they molded everything that was orange is just now white?... which is a good thing... B) May try to get one here later ... do have a friend (Neighbor) that has 3 on the way... May see if i can sneak one off him? :blink:

I know it's because they think the Foose partnership will bring in more builders, but I wish they would have instead modified this kit so you could build a base model, SS, Z/28, and/or RS model.

Here's how it would work:

1) 2 different grilles (exposed headlight and hidden headlight) with different emblems to attach depending on model, along with 2 different hoods (flat with optional SS grilles, and cowl induction style)

2) Keep the basic engine and trans already used (maybe even have two separate transmissions like the Bel Air, the 4-speed and the TH-350) since all the models used the same basic small block, just with different displacements (327 base, 302 Z/28, 350 SS)

3) Have the dual quad intake along with a new single 4-bbl intake (maybe with an adapter and 2-bbl carb)

4) Keep the thin stock tires and add a set of wider radials that fit the stock rally wheels

5) Provide a few of the small bits that are different on the models

It's only a pipe dream, but it seems like this kit has been the most popular of the older 1/12 kits that they have produced, and adding just a few new parts would have opened up ease of making more of the models and allowed more people to easily make replicas of their vehicles (especially those that don't really scratch build.) They could have marketed it as a 3 'n 1 kit even.

Oh well, at least the kit was re-released!

I'm glad my review has been appreciated. I tried to make it exactly like one I would want to see if I had never seen the kit before. If nobody got the "if you can read this..." reference, it's from Mel Brooks' "Space Balls" right after the title scroll. I really wish it came with white Z-28 stripes, but oh well. I can either try to find somebody who's built one and didn't use the stripes, or mask them off myself. We'll see what happens.

Hmmm. I have a set of slixx grumpys toy decals in 1/12 just for this...

I got that set a long time back when I acquired my first old release kit, found a resin grump lump on ebay too.

921A4C7D-5FBA-4889-A952-C946E86AD508-339

This build is a far ways off, but I plan to do it, a couple yenkos, and a motion..... eventually, when time allows.

I did a smaller version for a customer a few yrs ago and that's when I got mine. I will be doing the single 4 barrel car with only the cowl hood. Where did you get those slicks and deep cragars? Still want to meet up and swap those supercharger?

I don't remember off hand where the slicks came from mabey the 1/12 vette?And I believe the cragars came from the 57 chev.

Yes, I still want to meet up, Im leaving for work tomorrow for 2 weeks ill message you when I get back.

Edited by mademan

Great Monogram kit, body shell is absolutaly flawless design/proprtion wise, surely the most beautiful '69 Camaro plastic kit ever! very nice model. Indeed adding a few more factory optional version parts: SS, RS, 302, 350 options, etc, would have been a better move, but guess a Foose "Pro-Touring" look had better... appeal for the younger crowd!

I picked this kit up. I love cars but don't usually enjoy building model cars. I've become a plane and tank guy. So take this into account with my review. Great price I think for what you get. It's not much different than a 1/24 besides size but still. I haven't built a car kit by Revell that I thought was better. But there are plenty of ways to screw it up. My 2nd attempt will be much easier and better. I love large scale stuff so I'll do this again one day. I had to snap the headers off because the engine would not slide in with them on. I'm still not sure i will be able to get the steering thingy in there with the headers on. You should definitely drill holes in the block and distributor to accept the wires. The whole process was very difficult even in doing so. Do not glue the rear piece onto the body before it goes on the chassis. I tried to and failed. I think the interior is wonderful. Love the 2 piece steering wheel. Filling the seam all the way around the seats is a drain though. I made a few other mistakes but if you don't do things out of order, it's no problem. My fault for putting in rear suspension before the exhaust. This resulted in some putty and sanding work after everything was in place. I'm an idiot sometimes and impatient always. Anyway, great kit. Better than I expected but plenty of ways to totally mess this up and have it end up unfinished in the closet in the box.

Sorry to hear about your experience with it. I hope you don't think you're out too much money. Always good for spare parts next time around, right? :) I'm having a blast with this kit so far; it's my first big scale. I'll keep in mind what you said about the headers and see if I can install them after the engine is in. As far as the seats go, I didn't need any putty. I just put a bead of glue all the way around the edge and clamped the halves together with clothespins until it was dry. Once I sanded the seams there was no gap at all. Best of luck on your next attempt! :)