Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bring Out Your Dead... Long Stalled Models

Tom Geiger

Well, I got a couple I can show that are stalled (there are others, but these are 'recent')................ :huh:

After not one but TWO warped hoods, I had almost given up on this one...........

P7254374-vi.jpg

I have since FINALLY found an original hood in plastic (the one pictured IS warped) and now it's just a matter of getting the ambition to finish this one up. Also another stumbling block was the air cleaner. A shout out to Ron Hamilton who gave me an air cleaner to use a while back. The decals for that air cleaner will be a killer as they're a bit unique, and it's something I may either try to fudge or just let go. Other than that, repainting the hood, and getting some interior stuff done, getting the wheels done and mounted------she's all ready to go!

This one I may have to totally strip the paint, and start all over.

P8042556-vi.jpg
IMG_1240vi-vi.jpg
2008OhioTripMom058-vi.jpg

You can't see it here, but to me there's a very noticeable area right down the middle of the roof where you can see where I did the bodywork. I had originally used Future Floor Wax as a barrier, but I must not have put enough on, as the hot paint worked it's way through anyway. My plan is to strip it down to bare plastic after taking the glass out, fixing that bad area, recoat the body in a light primer, then seal the works with BIN Zinsser Sealer. That should take care of anymore ghosting troubles, and while I'm at it, do some fine tuning of the trim and interior bits. I MIGHT take this on after I finish the Shelby, but you know the saying "The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men". ;)

Many stalled projects....longest stalled and biggest is my 1990 Roush Racing IMSA Cougar. I spent lots of time and money, most chassis and engine built but not painted. After 3 false starts on a body back about mid 1990's it all went into a box never to see light again.....BTW it's in 1/12 scale....

2v2Jd14oMxJcANd.jpg

Edited by Dave Van

What a cool thread! It reminded me of something...

Started this one in 1998, I think. Got stalled because I had to spend my service, then it was reboxed because I moved to smaller flat, where I had no space for modeling.

Tried to make a hot rodded crew cab from two Revell Model A Pickup kits.

5b7ecb2e62cd8_modelacrewcab1.jpg.e98c254e980937d0a94e881201fc026b.jpg

5b7ecb2fca475_modelacrewcab2.jpg.eb854d2adad9e46d5e4258837388d669.jpg

5b7ecb312b198_modelacrewcab3.jpg.a514ec27ee016d0e0f77aae52de1cd62.jpg

Almost forgot about it until I found this thread. Currently I´ve got three projects on my desk but this one will happen... some day :unsure:

1/24 Bartoletti Cobra Transporter

Literally and figuratively my biggest stalled project.  Brizio sent me some graphics so I have no more excuses.  

Mike Sells made the body and I added a chassis from an American Lafrance ladder truck.  Got to get it done, it has been too many years gathering dust.

100_1028.JPG.9768a488b476142773dc876f8862596c.JPG

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Literally and figuratively my biggest stalled project.  Brizio sent me some graphics so I have no more excuses.  

Mike Sells made the body and I added a chassis from an American Lafrance ladder truck.  Got to get it done, it has been too many years gathering dust.

Would be a great way to display your many Cobra builds.

I feel good because many of the many stalled here are less than 10 years old!!!!!

These are the worst offenders ...

1956 Volkswagen Kombi bus I learned to drive on. needs repainting and some rust outs first because I found some old photos recently ...

image.png.134d777dcc95fb56616f1563b21f118b.png

image.png.e91e5e1ef9fa8f55fac52f2117f7a8a8.png

2003 Infiniti G35 Coupe. A conversion from the Japan labeled Skyline to the one I owned. Convert to left hand drive dash and Nission to Infiniti badging plus scratch built rear wing. Just needs 4th repainting of shiny black. ((

image.png.dc2d81e140cccae3c6a7c8b3cf7cea3c.png

image.png.7ea56c948d3c68ad2a8eab28fa730156.png

1992 Crown Victoria My Dad's car that I converted from a '97 cop car. Wish I knew of Art Andersons resin before starting, but it's painted and just black trim giving me troubles.

image.png.0fcdc3842103cba5d5befe51d6723d14.png

Some of my projects stopped for years

-1949 Ford Coupe. I started this project more than 10 years ago. Lots of modified parts and I'm using Revell's Mustang Super Stallion as a donor.
DSC05963.jpg

DSC05953.jpg

DSC05960.jpg

DSC05288.jpg

--1932 Ford. I started this project in 2012 to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the 32 Ford. It's a 32 with 4WD Drive and many parts modified.

DSC05974.jpg

DSC05978.jpg

-Jeep Nukizer 715. I started a few years ago and never continued the assembly.

IVd_J_Fz73_Sg.jpg

DSC03280.jpg

-BC Cruiser by Boyd Coddington. Project stopped because I need someone to make the art of the decals so I can have the decals printed.

112690_Front_3_4_Web.jpg

DSC03007.jpg

These are just a few

I am working on reshaping the back on this Lil Red that I started on a while ago.  Seeing the real one found got me interested in making some progress.  I believe this prototype had two superchargers so it will not be just your average 428 SCJ.

IMG_2734.JPG

I dont have any pictures of it and the car is packed away for the foreseeable future .

But I started a Revell Demon funnycar  to replicate the Rich Guasco Pure Hell Demon funnycar, Going on close to 20 years ago now I guess. And it sill sits. chassis is pretty much done. ( needs power train completed and installed . Body was painted and the yellow on the nose didn't match the decals very well. So it got shelved for another day. That day will come someday I guess

17pure.JPG

Now I don't feel so bad about my "misfits"!

Alot of these projects look so good, I wish I had 'em.

Maybe we should offer up our stalled projects to trade for somebody else's stalled project. If we can't finish them, maybe someone else can!

Sounds fun to me, how about anybody else?

6 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I am working on reshaping the back on this Lil Red that I started on a while ago.  Seeing the real one found got me interested in making some progress.  I believe this prototype had two superchargers so it will not be just your average 428 SCJ.

IMG_2734.JPG

Rex, NICE conversion on 'Lil Red! That's another one I'd like to do someday using that '66 roof and rear fenders as a starting point. B) 

On 5/28/2013 at 8:50 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Okay, I'm hopefully starting something... Add a post of a long stalled model project here. Let us know a bit about it. What was your original intent, why did it stall? Projects over 10 years old please!

Here's my VW drag car. Back when I was a kid I lived on the US Army Post at Pirmasens, Germany from 1969-72. A couple of times a year the Pirmasens German American Timing Association held drag races on the post air strip. I believe this was an 1/8 mile bracket race. US servicemen would race their daily drivers, an interesting array of US muscle cars showed up here, shipping courtesy of Uncle Sam. But there were a few purpose built cars built by groups of GI motorheads in the motor pools after hours...

german_exper2-vi.jpg

You'll have to bear with me, these photos were taken by me as a junior high schooler with my trusty Poloroid Swinger camera. One of my favorite cars was this VW drag car. It was American V8 powered. As a kid, I never asked what engine! It looks down right dangerous, on it's original VW frame with stock steering gear and only a small loop roll bar.

german7-vi.jpg

The driver sat centered in the rear, with the roll bar sticking out the oval window. The driver got in and out through this little cut out door. I remember with the real doors open you could see the engine from either side. It did have some sheet metal work, like you can see the enclosure over the top of the engine.

german_exper1-vi.jpg

Bad ass view from the front. Stock VW suspension and wheels up front, probably a small block Chevy with Chevy rear in the back. All the parts had to have come from our American car junk yard on post. The car was quickly sprayed silver with no shine to it at all. It's no doubt been crushed a long time!

MVC001F-vi.jpg

So back around 20 years ago I started to build this car. That is the Gunze VW oval coupe and you can see some Revell VW green parts under it.

MVC002F-vi.jpg

The project got stalled by over complication, way beyond my skill level at the time. The gaps between the doors and body were way too wide and the hinges didn't work well. I couldn't figure out how to hinge the little drivers door either. It looks like it had a piano hinge in real life.

MVC003F-vi.jpg

So she's been sitting dormant for a very long time. I think about it every so often and maybe one of these days I'll pull it out and see what can be done....

Yours?

I'm not a VW guy but that is an awesome project. You should find a way to finish it. 

56 minutes ago, dino246gt said:

In 2007 I thought I'd build a full detail stock Falcon, haven't touched it in 10 years!

If you want to make trade Dennis I would be interested in taking the project off your hands.

The oldest stalled project I have is a '60 Ford Galaxie converted to a sedan delivery.  Ordered the PE set for it and had some grandiose plans, but it has been in the box since '95.  Have never made pictures of it.  My next stalled project is a SCRambler gasser, started working on it in 2010.

SCRambler 015.jpg

SCrambler 036.JPG

SCRambler 041.JPG

On 8/23/2018 at 12:57 PM, Gramps46 said:

I'd love to see this back on the workbench! Been a long time dream of mine to build a Ferrari Bartoletti!