Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bring Out Your Dead... Long Stalled Models

Tom Geiger

1 hour ago, Snake45 said:

I've never made any secret of the fact that this thread was the inspiration and the seed of idea for the BOYD build thread. You truly set off something great here, Tom! B)

And you brought it to life!  That's why I'm curious as to how many of these maybe got finished... 

I just did a quick scroll through this thread. The only two models I definitely recognize from the BOYD Build thread are Straightliner59's Junior Fueler and my own '66 Skylark. There might be a few others; I think maybe that '67 Lemans was in BOYD a while back. 

I think maybe a few other models from this thread eventually got finished, but not as part of the BOYD Build project. In the last few months I've seen a few "Under Glass" models where the builder stated they were started long ago, but they didn't participate in BOYD even though they'd have definitely been eligible. 

Last time I counted, I think over 80 models had been completed in BOYD so far, and IIRC we're on the 11th round. I've completed at least one in every round, and I think a couple others have, too. 

6 hours ago, Tom Geiger said:

My own success has been mixed.. some I finished, some I finished in two rounds and others just crashed and burned!  

I thought I was going there with the Studebaker but decided I couldn’t stand the personal shame so I pushed through it!

47A51A0B-F660-41BA-9F96-2E91D5E72F2E.jpeg.5e73b0dbc810dd91cef6f10c628e39d3.jpeg

Yes here are some problems but what a Wonderful concept!  Gullwing Study! Beautiful paint job too.

Edited by Big John
spelling

17 minutes ago, Tabbysdaddy said:

I thought the point of this thread was to post what isn't completed and hasn't been touched in a long time. 

It is.. but since time has gone by and we have a group build on the subject I was curious to see if any of these poor models actually got completed!

5 hours ago, JohnnyK said:

I haven't worked on this one in a long, long time:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The problem is the exhaust headers. They have these huge depressions in them. Keep in mind that this kit has four engines, so I would need to either fix, or replace, 32 headers. 

Honestly,  I would make a jig and start bending and cutting. Once you get that figured out, you can make them from aluminium tubing as fast, or faster than filling all those pin marks and sanding all those seams!

Edited by Straightliner59
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Okay. I think I resurrected the right thread this time. Almost all of my stalled projects are the result of the subject coming out in 1/18 diecast. I like these mainly because I don't have the opportunity to mess up the paint job. Also I've been making resin mags in 1/18 and such for a long time. This is the case with the Myers Manx. Classic dune buggy. In a rare occasion,  I was quite pleased with how the paint job turned out. It would be a shame to let it sit on the shelf after I got this far on the build. I'm pretty set on these tires and I'm leaning heavily towards the Torq Thrusts. I think it may be time to resurrect this project.20211130_103031.thumb.jpg.4aa4c96ebcb63c0935b5bd0f7a0d10ef.jpg20211201_101819.thumb.jpg.6d0d5ffd4fc54df8496c0f7b258e6bd3.jpg20211201_102209.thumb.jpg.cbd644fcee8810aa0aebe5617ae1daa1.jpg

On 8/30/2021 at 8:43 PM, JohnnyK said:

I haven't worked on this one in a long, long time:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The problem is the exhaust headers. They have these huge depressions in them. Keep in mind that this kit has four engines, so I would need to either fix, or replace, 32 headers. 

Sure something is not missing? All the marks seem to line up.

Seems with the length they would need to be supported as in this pic... 

zoomie headers SBC dragster chevy 2" stahl flange ...Top fuel dragster zoomie headers West Carleton, Ottawa

• 3 weeks later...

So I will join in here. I started this in 2017 for the Cannonball Run Comm. Build, and just got busy...or...??

This is the '67 Camaro Bumble Bee. Conversion parts are from C1 Models, and scratch building the rest.

I made a jig to etch in the side detail that is missing from the kit body and removed the front seam lines.

IMG_3794.JPG

IMG_3827.JPG

IMG_3829.JPG

IMG_20170411_212600905.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thinking about making this one of my next projects to work on. The thing with this is that it was one of my Buddy's projects that he had started years ago. It sat on his bench for several years and every time I went to visit I would beg him to finish it. I always thought that it was such a beautiful paintjob. Unfortunately,  he never finished it before he passed away last year. It has suffered a bit of damage since then. I just purchased a 69 Nova kit from David (ewetwo) so that I could try to get it done.

Later-

20220311_214048.jpg

20220311_214111.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Modlbldr said:

Thinking about making this one of my next projects to work on. The thing with this is that it was one of my Buddy's projects that he had started years ago. It sat on his bench for several years and every time I went to visit I would beg him to finish it. I always thought that it was such a beautiful paintjob. Unfortunately,  he never finished it before he passed away last year. It has suffered a bit of damage since then. I just purchased a 69 Nova kit from David (ewetwo) so that I could try to get it done.

Later-

20220311_214048.jpg

20220311_214111.jpg

Tom Please do this justice and finish it!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/31/2021 at 12:15 AM, Tom Geiger said:

It is.. but since time has gone by and we have a group build on the subject I was curious to see if any of these poor models actually got completed!

Finally resurrected! Began in the Spring of 2006 and completed June 30, 20220177477C-44F8-40BD-9E35-17AF0894BDD3.thumb.jpeg.de1abf832e11bb9a921c2096158ad363.jpeg44B86A5E-3D99-475B-92FE-86DADD1E2F63.thumb.jpeg.cd8faaae143ccc98358207414047002d.jpegMore pictures in Under Glass section 

Edited by #1 model citizen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Big John said:

Perseverance pays off! Very nice New Yorker.  I wonder how may pink cars they sold.  My 64 GMC Had a similar pink color.

Thanks John! Pink was a popular color in the mid fifties. This model was painted to match my dad’s Chrysler. He also had a coral pink ‘57 Imperial. Elvis was known to have a pink Cadillac and I still have my first car, a white over pink ‘56 Dodge.