Model Cars Magazine Forum

'57 Ford Reference Pictures- Interior? Engine?

I'm really looking forward to this Del Rio kit. My father had one in the early 60's and I thought it was the coolest car ever. Ours was Cumberland Green and Colonial White much like this outstanding example except it had the optional Turbine wheel covers and a white steering wheel. I've always wanted to build a model of it.

DanWeiss57-vi.jpg

3895439446_d877116d9e_z-vi.jpg

1957fordstationwagon012-vi.jpg

1957fordpg01-vi.jpg

Edited by FordRodnKustom

OH my ,,,,,,do I ever like that. Especially the wheels . Are those Halibrands ?

Yes - Halibrands. Big inch, shallow version available in the Revell Wheels of Fire snap '57 Chevy hardtop. Those fit Pegasus sleeves with some clean up.

Regular offset/deeper rear 16" combo is available in the Revell Rat Roaster '32. :)

Edited by Matt T.

A-Raven Black

C-Dresden Blue

D-Silver Mocha Metallic #2

E-Colonial White

F-Starmist Blue

G-Cumberland Green

H-Gunmetal Gray Metallic#2

J-Willow Green

K-Silver Mocha Metallic

L-Doeskin Tan

N-Gunmetal Gray Metallic (dark)

P-Primer

R-Torch Red

S-Special-Non-Factory Color

T-Woodsmoke Gray (Light)

V-Flame Red

X-Dust Rose

Y-Inca Gold

Z-Coral Sand

Two-tone paint $35.00 option

Different color on roof only $25.00 optioni0015358f.jpg

This info is from www.1957Ford.com

Edited by rasafyff

OK so anyway, yeah, I'm glad to know this kit is in the pipe. I'll be in for few for sure regardless of it's issue configuration. I've been waiting a long time. Hope I'll be able to use all, or part of the rear windows and some other parts so I can finish this one.

57wagon4_21_12001-vi.jpg

57wagon4_21_12009-vi.jpg

The build ideas are just about endless. Hope it's a huge success for Revell.

d_ranch_wagonfront_driver_side-vi.jpg

1957FordStationWagon-vi.jpg

DelRio1-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

57f-vi.jpg

ecode312-vi.jpg

57ford_engines-vi.jpg

Yblock2-vi.jpg

A-Raven Black

C-Dresden Blue

D-Silver Mocha Metallic #2

E-Colonial White

F-Starmist Blue

G-Cumberland Green

H-Gunmetal Gray Metallic#2

J-Willow Green

K-Silver Mocha Metallic

L-Doeskin Tan

N-Gunmetal Gray Metallic (dark)

P-Primer

R-Torch Red

S-Special-Non-Factory Color

T-Woodsmoke Gray (Light)

V-Flame Red

X-Dust Rose

Y-Inca Gold

Z-Coral Sand

Two-tone paint $35.00 option

Different color on roof only $25.00 optioni0015358f.jpg

This info is from www.1957Ford.com

"Different color on roof only $25.00 option"

I did not got that point right. Does this mean two-tone for $35 and another $25 to make tri-tone?

"Different color on roof only $25.00 option"

I did not got that point right. Does this mean two-tone for $35 and another $25 to make tri-tone?

It means what it says. It was available with either the full two tone as seen in the post #89 for $35, or roof only for $10 less.

Edited by Rob Hall

It means what it says. It was available with either the full two tone as seen in the post #89 for $35, or roof only for $10 less.

Did not notice the "only". Thanks for the clarification. But it must have been a very rare option because I have not seen a picture of a '57 Ford with such a color scheme.

Robert's picture of a base Ranch Wagon is what friend of mine got from his folks when he was 16. It was a 6 cylinder Fordomatic, but it ran great and he kept it shined at all times. The Del Rio model based on the 300 series tudoor wagon was not real common but they were around on the streets. Most people buying a wagon at that time needed the room for a family and would get the four door body style and were pretty common. The '56 version of the Del Rio had a little more trim around the "B" pillar and the Fairlane side trim and interior. This is going to be a fun kit, looking forward to putting one on the work bench.

Robert's picture of a base Ranch Wagon is what friend of mine got from his folks when he was 16. It was a 6 cylinder Fordomatic, but it ran great and he kept it shined at all times. The Del Rio model based on the 300 series tudoor wagon was not real common but they were around on the streets. Most people buying a wagon at that time needed the room for a family and would get the four door body style and were pretty common. The '56 version of the Del Rio had a little more trim around the "B" pillar and the Fairlane side trim and interior. This is going to be a fun kit, looking forward to putting one on the work bench.

The '56 version of the Del Rio Ranch Wagon, was called the Park Lane. It was trimmed out a little nicer than the Del Rio. The Park Lane name was then moved over to the top of the line Mercury for '58.

By the way, I'm impressed with the amount of interest this kit seems to be generating here. I'm hoping this is a sign of how well this model will do on shelves, and convince Revell to do the Ranchero.

Scott

'57 Del Rio not commonly seen? Uh, Ford built and sold over 46,000 of them in '57--MORE than all three years of the Tri-Five Chevy Nomads put together.

Art

To more fully understand the various body styles from Ford (as well as just about every other make of US cars in the 50's), bear in mind that Ford had just two body series of cars in 1957--Custom/Custom 300/Fairlane (Tudor sedan, Fordor Sedan, and all station wagons) and Fairlane 500 (which included the Fairlane 500 convertible, Fairlane Club Victoria hardtop, Fairlane 500 Hardtop, Fairlane Club sedan [in both 2- and 4-door versions] and Fairlane 500 Skyliner). Within these series of bodies, a whole lot of sheet metal sharing went on, although each body variant had its own panels, even structural members, as well.

With the station wagon, just one roof panel, one set of floor pans (with some makes, a floor pan could be made up of as many as 3 or 4 sections of sheet metal, welded together) Ford used the same roof panel, upper and lower tailgate units, A and B pillars, cowling/firewall, and of course dashboard. Front clips were the same as well. To do a 2-door wagon, Ford used no C pillar, hence the long quarter window glass--just the rearmost D pillar at the rear corners of the body. A longer sheetmetal quarter panel filled in this area from the side doors back to the rear of the body. To build a 4dr wagon, a C-pillar was added, along with moving the B-pillar 6" forward, with shorter front doors and an added rear door on each side. Of course, it was necessary for the front seat of the Ranch Wagon/Del Rio to have a front seat with a split, folding pair of seat backs in place of the 4-door wagon solid bench seat back.

So, it was simply a matter of which components got pulled from stock and set up on a body jig for welding up whichever basic body shell was to be built.

Art

I maybe missing something in what you posted above Art. Reading what you you wrote, I get the impression that your claiming the Custom, Custom 300, and Fairlane to be the same basic car. Then the Fairlane 500 something else again. This is not 100% correct. The '57 Customs, Custom 300s and station wagons (and Rancheros) share many body parts and are all built on the same wheelbase of 116". The Fairlanes and Fairlane 500s shared bodies and were built on 118" wheelbase. Note, the 116" wheelbase cars are all sedans and wagons with conventional 50's style of window frames on the doors. The Fairlanes and Failane 500s were available as sedans (club coupes) and hardtops. The sedans/club coupes having thin bright metal door frames. All convertibles were part of the Fairlane 500 series.

I was a little unclear on what you wrote Art. So I thought I'd clarify. Especially when it came to the "plain" Fairlanes in 1957.

Scott

Edited by unclescott58