Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

5 hours ago, espo said:

The cost of any body work on cars today is astronomical. Had a close encounter with the garage door frame last year, I can explain but it would be rather boring to most. The dealership and another well respected body shop were both over $2500.00 estimate to repair. The dealership even said the door would have to be removed and taken apart to be sure the door safety beam hadn't been damaged. This was a small crease that didn't even break the paint. I remembered a small one-man shop that had removed the spoiler and some paint detailing for me on another car and he had been reasonable and did great work. His estimate was $400.00 and if you saw it, you would never know that anything had ever happened. The two points I'm trying to make are 1: Should a dealership or body shop that does a lot of insurance work usually report to Car Fax and others that body work had been done. While this is fair enough, this will show up someday in the future when you're trading in your car. This will have an effect on the trade-in value. So beyond getting your car repaired your car has also lost value due to the damage done to it. Who pays for that? 2: Should you have a smaller local shop that doesn't report to Car Fax or others, you may be able to get the repairs done just as well and keep the value of your car intact. You should check some of their before and after work if possible. 

Not every insurance company and agent reports everything.  My nephew had someone hit his car some years back, when he sold it a couple of years later he checked the Carfax, it had nothing regarding that one.  Every time Carfax runs a new ad campaign, they include more and more disclaimers, they can't catch absolutely everything.

Edited by Mark
Spelling

17 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Ok,I know this post is a bit long,sorry.Well today I crossed paths with some crazy stupid moronic woman who really “Irked”me,for lack of a better word🤬%#+@&!!!..Anyway,I was going to a doctors appt with my father.However the parking lot at the office is a real nightmare,to the point that they offer valet parking.We were running a bit late,and there was a pretty long line of cars just trying to get into the lot.Then all of a sudden we see a person leaving,so we were like great an open spot.We start to turn into the spot,when all of a sudden this idiotic bi***  two cars behind us starts hitting her horn ,and wouldn’t stop.We didn’t have any idea where it was coming from,and had no idea she was honking at us.So we then just  pulled into the spot.At which point this crazy woman jumps out of her car and comes over to us,knocks on my window,screaming at us that she was waiting for ten mins to pull into the spot.I’m telling her that she was behind us and how were we supposed to know that she was waiting for the spot,not to mention that she couldn’t be waiting ten minutes for the spot because we were in front of her.Well she just continued to yell at us,just going on again that she was waiting for the spot.At which point I did what anybody😡😡 in that position would’ve done,I screamed and cursed her out,and told her where to go.Lol..But then for some reason my father decided to let this crazy a** witch to park in the spot..Arrrggg🤬🤬,whatever 🙄.I really had to vent that.Ahhh.Now i feel better.Lol.

Wow....sounds like that Karen needs to get put in her place. If it were me, there’s no way I’d give her that parking spot. She was 2 cars back. What did she expect? Entitlement? 

20 hours ago, stitchdup said:

in scotland we still put on a scottish accent to say "thurz bin a muurdur" and its all because of taggart.

I've Tried, and I just cannot master that phrase. 

I love the Scot's accent. There is Scot's blood in the family blood line.

18 hours ago, NYLIBUD said:

Yup i agree with u 100%.You know,and like i said,she was two cars behind us,the little witch that she was.But i certainly wasn’t going to stand for it when the stupid broad got out of her car,and started to off on my father and I.AAAARRRGG!!🤬😡😤Not a chance.I hate people who think the rules of society don’t apply to  them.Oh man that stuff just drives me nuts. 

I agree, but it does seem that more and more people are thinking only about themselves and not displaying even basic courtesy let alone any kindness toward others. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, espo said:

I agree, but it does seem that more and more people are thinking only about themselves and not displaying even basic courtesy let alone any kindness toward others. 

Nothing new. People are now living in the own private bubble. Social media helps reinforcing that bubble by pointing people to like minded people. If you want to believe that the world is flat you can surround yourself with people who also belief that.

The loss of civility has gotten worse. Just look how some of the most mundane of subjects can turn nasty around here. However for the most part the members of the site treat each other in a civil manner.

Today's Irk: the miraculous ability some folks have of  denying objective reality.

There seem to be a large number of people who can look in the mirror at this...

AVEEK- Blogs: Hippopotamus

...and apparently see something like this...

A Shroud of Thoughts: Hedy Lamarr at 99

...and it's not just what these people see in the mirror that has no similarity to anything observable by a rational mind.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
  • Like 2

Thank you sir. IMO she was smokin' hot. Wowser

I just did a search. Not only was she extremely beautiful and a good actress she was also an inventor. Makes me wish I knew more about her previously. Her acting career was over shortly before I was born. I don't remember seeing any of her films back then but I may have. 

I should post the above pic in the "What pleased you today" thread and thank Bill for using it.

What a lady!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DPNM said:

Thank you sir. IMO she was smokin' hot. Wowser

I just did a search. Not only was she extremely beautiful and a good actress she was also an inventor. Makes me wish I knew more about her previously. Her acting career was over shortly before I was born. I don't remember seeing any of her films back then but I may have. 

I should post the above pic in the "What pleased you today" thread and thank Bill for using it.

What a lady!

i watched a lot of old movies with my gran when i looked after her, i only knew her previously from her work on i think it was communications

On 11/7/2022 at 10:53 PM, stitchdup said:

working on the boat trying to get it cleaned for potential purchasers to view in a couple of days. The guy doing days is leaving his jobs unfinished and marking them off as done. I;m supposed to be going in when he's finished jobs to clean but i'm spending more time finishing his jobs because i cant do my jobs until his is done. I'm not qualified to do any of the jobs i'm having to finish but i am capable. He's supposed to be this super qualified seaman with 30 years experience that can do everything but so far he's a waste of time. But while he seemingly incapable of doing even the simplest of his own tasks he has plenty of time to criticise  my work for not being finished. I'm trying to do my best work for my employer as he's always treated me well and this idiot is messing everything i up. An example of how bad this guy is, he wont lift the toilet seat cos I'm the cleaner and will be cleaning it later anyway and I put down cardboard at the doors to catch the dirt from the guys working in the engine rooms boots, and to give them a place to take off their dirty overalls and this guy took it upon himself to tear it all up and dump it cos why should i make my job easier. I'm about ready to throw him over the side cos i have my friend i look after refusing to eat or drink and i just dont have the patience to put up with this guys trash

I think i've sorted this out, and i think i may have the guy in a catch 22 situation with it. I'm still finishing his jobs so i can do mine, but i'm doing it slightly wrong on non essential items. So now he has to either say he was lazy and i finished the job (I'm not qualified for any of his jobs) or that he didn't know what he is doing. either way he looks bad and even if he says i did the jobs they'll ask how he couldn't finish 2 hour jobs in his 12 hour shift and why did he leave it for me to do. downside is it looks like i did my job too well cos the boats leaving for a time at the end of jan on hire, and may be away up til next october so i'm possibly out of a job for a few months but i'll have a great reference from them and i can usually find jobs fairly quick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

I think  i may have the guy in a catch 22 situation with it. I'm still finishing his jobs so i can do mine, but i'm doing it slightly wrong on non essential items. So now he has to either say he was lazy and i finished the job (I'm not qualified for any of his jobs) or that he didn't know what he is doing. either way he looks bad and even if he says i did the jobs they'll ask how he couldn't finish 2 hour jobs in his 12 hour shift and why did he leave it for me to do.

Always nice to be able to maneuver a slacker into a position where the boss catches him with his pants down, so to speak.   B)

• Like 2

Good for you!

If he can't do at least 2 hours of work in 12 hours your company doesn't need him around. Neither do you.

Perhaps this may shine the light on his performance. Let the chips fall where they may. My best wishes to you on this.

Edited by DPNM
  • Like 1

So my biggest pet peeve / irk very winter are folks who can’t or don’t know how to drive in snowy conditions. I’ve seen my fair share of idiots driving too fast for road conditions - especially those with 4WD trucks who think they’re invincible in snow. Only they end up in a ditch or hit a guard rail. Oh especially on bridges. Don’t they know bridges ices before roads? Apparently they didn’t learn that winter driving life skill.

Pet peeve / irk # 2:

Folks diving waaaay too slow for road conditions. I get it they’re being cautious and drive slow for road conditions during  snow squalls. But driving at 10 mph or slower when the driver in front of him is miles ahead going a hair under 30 mph. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BlackSheep214 said:

So my biggest pet peeve / irk very winter are folks who can’t or don’t know how to drive in snowy conditions. I’ve seen my fair share of idiots driving too fast for road conditions - especially those with 4WD trucks who think they’re invincible in snow. Only they end up in a ditch or hit a guard rail. Oh especially on bridges. Don’t they know bridges ices before roads? Apparently they didn’t learn that winter driving life skill.

Pet peeve / irk # 2:

Folks diving waaaay too slow for road conditions. I get it they’re being cautious and drive slow for road conditions during  snow squalls. But driving at 10 mph or slower when the driver in front of him is miles ahead going a hair under 30 mph. 

Believe me, I share those peeves!😡 The wife and I both drive 4x4s and they are really great for getting around in nasty winter conditions….but they don’t stop any quicker on glare ice than any other vehicle. And then there are those drivers who like to social distance themselves from other vehicles…they should just take a cab or a bus.🤨