Model Cars Magazine Forum

What Irked You Today?

LokisTyro

39 minutes ago, stavanzer said:

A Movie...

I have never seen the 1980 Horror "masterpiece" that is "The Shining". The famous one. Jack Nicholson, Shelley Duvall, and all that.

The movie was well filmed, and decent to watch, until you get to the Baseball Bat part. Then, "Gah!" The next 4 1/2 hours of the movie are awful. Loud Shrill (so-called) Music, Nicholson eats the scenery, and poor Shelly spends that same 4 1/2 hours with the same look of vacuous horror frozen on her face. And this is where the modren Horror Movie convention of slowing things down, to "increase the fear" (Bore You with closer and bloodier) camera shoots must originate. And then of course, Jack kills the only hope of rescue. They Showed an "Akitiv Snow Trac"in the beginning of the movie. I thought "Great, I'll get to see it run" (Chekov's Gun and all that). But, No! Jack tears out the Dist Cap, and that's it for the Snow Trac. What a let down.

What an awful movie. Glad I finally saw it, but what a Turkey!  What a  steaming pile of garbage this movie is.

I saw it last October 31, and wrote this in the Review a Movie thread: 

I just watched it for the first time in decades. There aren't many movies that can hang with this one for overall creepiness of mood. But the pacing was a bit slow for my taste--how I wish it had been on Netflix, where I could have watched it at 1.5X speed. 

Also, a pretty unsatisfying ending--a big letdown in the last 10 minutes or so. 

It's hard to imagine anyone other than Jack Nicholson playing the lead role in this move. But could Shelley Duvall have hammed it up more? Wow. 

Sounds like we had similar overall reactions to it. I'm not sorry I spent the time to re-watch it, but I'm pretty sure I'll never watch it again. B)

I'm not a horror movie fan but remember watching this a few years ago for the first time only because I'm a huge Jack Nicholson fan. It reminded me why I'm not a horror movie fan because they all seem to drag on for hours thinking you're trembling in your seat when I just become bored.

Still the worst horror movie for me is The Exorcist. Just plain stupid yet people go on and on about it. Those people are fans of this type of movie so I'm happy for them but glad to read the above comments knowing I'm not totally by myself with my thoughts.

• Like 1

Do any of you have Trillium harassing you to accept their services? I had a person come to my place and get invited in under false pretenses...... They said they were from the company that manages my psychiatric meds. I let them in, but soon realized they were lying....... Before they left, it gave me a bogus phone number to get mine. One of those "is your number still......." things........ These people are crooked! I have an insurance policy that covers all my care, so I don't have any need for them........

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

Do any of you have Trillium harassing you to accept their services? I had a person come to my place and get invited in under false pretenses...... They said they were from the company that manages my psychiatric meds. I let them in, but soon realized they were lying....... Before they left, it gave me a bogus phone number to get mine. One of those "is your number still......." things........ These people are crooked! I have an insurance policy that covers all my care, so I don't have any need for them........

I've never heard of Trillium, but two or three times a week I get a phone call from someone with an Indian or Central Asian accent of some sort claiming to be from "Medicare services." These calls are bogus and I've learned to hang up on them immediately. :angry:

• Sad 1

I will start by saying just a few words to you .   Chicago Midway Airport and Southwest Airlines . I am one of those unlucky people. Delays , cancelled flights , lost luggage ( been 4 days ) . We are hoping to return to Phoenix this Sunday . It is the worst mess I have ever seen or been a part of . They did finally get us to DC but here we are stuck . We heard today they found out missing bag . Oh boy after we had to buy a lot of new stuff . What can you do ?  If Sunday fails we will just have to look at options . The good part is we are at my daughters home so that’s a help . 

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, cobraman said:

I will start by saying just a few words to you .   Chicago Midway Airport and Southwest Airlines . I am one of those unlucky people. Delays , cancelled flights , lost luggage ( been 4 days ) . We are hoping to return to Phoenix this Sunday . It is the worst mess I have ever seen or been a part of . They did finally get us to DC but here we are stuck . We heard today they found out missing bag . Oh boy after we had to buy a lot of new stuff . What can you do ?  If Sunday fails we will just have to look at options . The good part is we are at my daughters home so that’s a help . 

Sorry to hear you have had trouble.  The airline is supposed to make it a pleasant experience.

12 minutes ago, cobraman said:

Bummer. Glad you're not sleeping on the floor in the airport. Time was, Southwest was my favorite airline. Looks like the creeping global incompetence has invaded.

Whenever I hear of people in situations mentioned above I can't imagine how you/they deal with it. I'd be so stressed and I'm very thankful it never happened to me.

My thoughts are with anyone having to go through this and hope some compensation comes your way sooner rather than later. No excuse for airlines that have been in business all these years to fail like this.

3 hours ago, cobraman said:

You were lucky you got to your destination.  I saw one case where the destination for a wedding was canceled.  They are out all sorts of costs and a postponed wedding on top of it.

Unfortunately these events are norm and not the exception. Starts at the top management's bad decisions that are so prevalent today.

Customer service is an afterthought and considered an unnecessary expense.

Ray hope you have better luck getting home without much of an ordeal.

On 12/29/2022 at 11:35 AM, TonyK said:

I'm not a horror movie fan but remember watching this a few years ago for the first time only because I'm a huge Jack Nicholson fan. It reminded me why I'm not a horror movie fan because they all seem to drag on for hours thinking you're trembling in your seat when I just become bored.

Still the worst horror movie for me is The Exorcist. Just plain stupid yet people go on and on about it. Those people are fans of this type of movie so I'm happy for them but glad to read the above comments knowing I'm not totally by myself with my thoughts.

Meh... I rarely watch horror movies. In fact, the last horror movie I saw was A Nightmare on Elm Street. Nowadays, they’re too predictable and lack creativity.  I prefer the old monster movies of my youth - Frankenstein, Dracula, Creature from Black Lagoon, etc... 

• Like 1

Granted, it's ridiculously small in the overall scheme of things, but it's like a tiny thorn stuck in my sock on a hike, one that is constantly annoying on an almost subliminal level.

Win10 stuffed in a useless bloatware "news and interests" widget during an update a while back, which I ignore for the most part (and just removed).

The annoying part is the fact that the supposedly local forecast displayed in the taskbar is entirely devoid of any relationship to reality, for the past few days advising of "sleet coming", or now "sleet off and on".

The abject ignorance of weather phenomena and the freezing point of water on the part of whatever techie dwerp set this crapp up is amazing. 

You just don't get sleet when the air temperature is 65 F.

General Characters Meme Gallery | Couch PimpsSLEET !!!

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

People using words incorrectly, often pronouncing them wrong, apparently trying to look "smart".

I just heard a news interviewer say "denneymois" meaning "denouement".

It didn't make him seem smart.

EDIT: Sure, it's a small thing. But in this case it goes back to doing the job you're paid for.

If you get PAID to use English in front of millions, get the words right.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy
TYPO

I was going to support a hobby shop, But when they wanted to charge me $10.00 a can of Testor's spray paint I said no way! after tax added on three cans would have racked me over $32.00!!!!!!!!!! Went to Hobby lobby found the same testor's spray paints that I wanted for $5.79 a can. Call me a cheapskate, but I'm working with a fixed income, and would rather use that extra to get hobby need's. Basically rounded up to $6.00 a can X 3 is $18.00 which saved nearly 15 dollars which I used to buy a couple of Molotow markers  1mm & 2mm  plus HL dropped the price on them to under 9.00 Each!